• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

upgrade HY 35 turbo to HX 35

Yep running on the Smarty,the Tranny fresh rebuilt triple disc pulling the fifth wheel runs cool no problem should be good to handle the boat.One thing hopefully the ddrp02 will keep up to the injectors and turbo I ran 1/2” lines from bottom of tank to the ddrp02 if it doesn’t keep up I’ll switch the ddrp02 for something higher flow we’ll see.

Dont waste your money on the J-hook. Go to the hardware store and get some extension springs. 2 springs about 8-10 inches long. Hook 1 spring where actuator connects to turbo. 2nd spring hooks to other end of 1st spring. Then hook 2nd spring onto alternator bracket. Springs need to be relatively stiff. This holds wastegate closed longer to build more boost. Tune max boost by cutting 2nd spring. Costs about $4.00, takes 10 minutes.

I have mine done this way and set at 28psi max with a hy35

Edited by Gregturley
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wagntagn said:

Yep running on the Smarty,the Tranny fresh rebuilt triple disc pulling the fifth wheel runs cool no problem should be good to handle the boat.One thing hopefully the ddrp02 will keep up to the injectors and turbo I ran 1/2” lines from bottom of tank to the ddrp02 if it doesn’t keep up I’ll switch the ddrp02 for something higher flow we’ll see.

Keep a good eye on the fuel pressure. 

Good advice above. This way you still have use of the wastegate so you don't overboost.

Edited by dripley

15 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Just make sure they are "new" Bosch injectors. You will need a boost fooler and elbow for best results.

I just made a round trip, 389 mile run with my '01 hauling a loader bucket both ways, probably about 8200 lbs total weight of the truck and got 19.16 mpg on winter fuel. This is with 285/75x16 tires and 300k miles on my RV injectors, set on level 5 with the Edge Juice.

Hey Nisaacs,  thats great fuel mileage! What axle ratio are you running on that 01?  And are you towing in 5th gear 1:1  or 6th?

5 hours ago, Ironforger said:

Hey Nisaacs,  thats great fuel mileage! What axle ratio are you running on that 01?  And are you towing in 5th gear 1:1  or 6th?

Thanks, it has 3.55's and yes I tow in 6th all the time if I am at 60 mph and above. The trip I just made was a slow road, no freeway but lots of steep grades including Salt River Canyon.

When I tow my sled puller in the Rocky Mountain states I average 12 mpg, I am at 19k gcw. Local round trip hauls with my dump, I average 13-13.5, loaded 26k+, empty 14k.

0213181146.jpg

downsized_0722161743a.jpg

hwy60_saltrivercanyon.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Thanks, it has 3.55's and yes I tow in 6th all the time if I am at 60 mph and above. The trip I just made was a slow road, no freeway but lots of steep grades including Salt River Canyon.

When I tow my sled puller in the Rocky Mountain states I average 12 mpg, I am at 19k gcw. Local round trip hauls with my dump, I average 13-13.5, loaded 26k+, empty 14k.

Wow you are doing some serious hauling! Great pics. That winding mountain road looks fun!   I'm running a 4.10 axle, and getting a consistent 11mpg regardless of driving conditions or towing.  looking to change the ratio to 3.55, hoping that helps the mpg's.    Is that NV5600 the original one that came with the truck? Running any coolers or filters?  Interesting that you are towing heavy loads in 6th gear. I've heard some guys say don't tow in 6th at all on the NV5600 but I know this is debatable as some folks will tow in 6th as long as you're not lugging it and keeping it above 60mph on a flat or down incline.

1 hour ago, Ironforger said:

Is that NV5600 the original one that came with the truck? Running any coolers or filters?  Interesting that you are towing heavy loads in 6th gear. I've heard some guys say don't tow in 6th at all on the NV5600 but I know this is debatable as some folks will tow in 6th as long as you're not lugging it and keeping it above 60mph on a flat or down incline.

Yes, original, I change oil every 36k miles with 15/40 diesel engine oil. On a hot day, towing in 6th for hours it will not get over 195*. I never let it get low or dirty, I also never overfill. I don't use any coolers or filters. The truck has 335k miles on it. Note how clean the oil is.

I have since changed out to a 180 t-stat and notice everything seems to run cooler from the 190*. Fuel , tranny and IAT temps. If I lost any fuel mileage it would be too small to measure.

0926181444.jpg

I'm running a 62 65 14 turbo with 100hp injectors with smarty on 3 timing at 3 and duration 3.

Truck makes more power then I k ow what to do with. And runs cool towing some weight.

I had 100hp injectors with the hy35 and had to peddle of egts had waste gate turnbuckled made about 28is maybe 30 sometimes.  And had peddle off egts towing.

Now with 62 65 14 turbo I go as fast as i want while towing never even really look at egt gauge anymore. 

I get 17-19 but tow allitle on st every tank.

Idrecommend a 62 turb and 150s then add programmer later. If it spools slower than hy35 it's just barely 

I have not done head studs yet and make a about 38-40psi. I'll do 150 injectors at some point and studs 

20191205_113137.jpg

Edited by Evan