• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

lift pump relay

Hello

I replaced my lift pump and IP but now I have a hard start issue because the cranking pressure is too much for IP. I now have a toggle switch to turn off the lift pump while starting. I have heard of a way to install a relay to delay the lift pump until the engine is running, is there a link on here for the instructions?

Thanks

I had a lift pump in the tank but I went with a delphi953 it bolts up were the original carter pump went. I pulled the pump in the tank and bypassed the pump in there and plugged the new pump into the original wire harness for the lift pump. the new pump puts out about 18 psi.

p.jpg

28 minutes ago, jackpressure said:

I had a lift pump in the tank but I went with a delphi953 it bolts up were the original carter pump went. I pulled the pump in the tank and bypassed the pump in there and plugged the new pump into the original wire harness for the lift pump. the new pump puts out about 18 psi.

p.jpg

If it is plugged into the ECM pigtail then the ECM should operating the lift pump at a lower pressure during cranking. It does that by cycling the pump on and off. You can see that happening on a fuel pressure gauge. Mine shows round 7 to 12 psi during cranking and near 19 at idle.