• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CAD Questions

Yep, think I am just going to lock the front with the posi-lok setup, the one without the cable and just control via the transfer case, seems a whole lot better, not need to worry about the light (4x4 on or off) as the t-case will tell me what I'm in.  BTW, truck is Auto for those that inquired....

BDK

• Like 1

I like that plan.

I think I remember seeing some stuff on Ebay when I was researching my jeep. I decided that since Chrysler went ay from the vacumn actuator that I'd bust out the welder and do the same.

Jeep light comes on and says part time 4wd.

My truck 4x4 light comes on half th time.  Not sure why  though it doesn't matter

• Owner
11 minutes ago, BDK said:

Yep, the perm-lok seems the way to go as long as there's no issue with having it permanently locked (mileage may decrease a bit from what I've read but no biggie).

BDK

No there is no loss to perma-locked axle. When my high mark on the diesel is 27.2 MPG. Typically doing 19 to 20 MPG.

• Staff
13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Hence why CAD axle design has been obsoleted and no longer used. All future trucks are all solid axle design now. 

Nope. 

CAD came back in 2013. 

It’s reported it came back for a ~1 mpg raise. 

Not sure I buy it. When I went with hubs on my 05 I didn’t see any increase. 

I'm not a huge CAD fan, and prefer how ford does their hubs. 

Edited by AH64ID

23 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another rare one is be climbing a grade but the manifold vacuum is low and have it unlock the axles when you least expect it and really need the 4WD.

I don't think this is a normal condition (I know you said rare) unless something else isn't right. If you disconnect the vacuum lines when the CAD is engaged, shouldn't the CAD stay engaged? Doesn't the vacuum circuit have to reverse and apply in the opposite direction to disengage it? Have you replaced the vacuum switch on the transfer case?

Zim,

If your check valve is bad, loss of vacuum to the actuator would allow it to release.  It is sort of spring loaded to "open" or go to 2 wd.  (plus the loading will tend to spit it out also)  To stay in 4wd, I have to lock my cable.  To get out of 4wd, all i have to do is release the lock.  Within a minute or two (couple stop and goes etc) the coupler will spit itself out of 4wd. 

So constant vacuum "on" or "off" is preferred.

Hag

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Haggar said:

Zim,

If your check valve is bad, loss of vacuum to the actuator would allow it to release.  It is sort of spring loaded to "open" or go to 2 wd.  (plus the loading will tend to spit it out also)  To stay in 4wd, I have to lock my cable.  To get out of 4wd, all i have to do is release the lock.  Within a minute or two (couple stop and goes etc) the coupler will spit itself out of 4wd. 

So constant vacuum "on" or "off" is preferred.

Hag

Excellent information, thank you.