• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad mpg with quadzilla tune

11 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

You are working the truck pretty hard at 70 with that setup.  

The guys getting 20 mpg have stock height stock tires and are typically doing under 65.  

That makes sense I just wasn’t sure if my tuning was messed up or what 

• Owner

For my tune to work for you... You would have to be on...

• 30" inch tires (245/75 R16) - your final ratio is too low. 
  • No lift, stock rake. - Your frontal area is too big.

The whole problem is your final gear ratio is too low. Then with 4 inch lift you standing up in the wind too high. Like myself my final gear ratio to the ground is 3.69:1 vs your 3.21:1 this will add engine load considerably. Then the 4 inch lift will add to you frontal area drag calc. II have been twisting out 19 to 20 MPG at 80 MPH on the interstate twisting nearly a perfect 2,500 RPM's. I can typically keep my engine load below 25%. EGT's typically are about 600*F.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:19 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

For my tune to work for you... You would have to be on...

• 30" inch tires (245/75 R16) - your final ratio is too low. 
  • No lift, stock rake. - Your frontal area is too big.

The whole problem is your final gear ratio is too low. Then with 4 inch lift you standing up in the wind too high. Like myself my final gear ratio to the ground is 3.69:1 vs your 3.21:1 this will add engine load considerably. Then the 4 inch lift will add to you frontal area drag calc. II have been twisting out 19 to 20 MPG at 80 MPH on the interstate twisting nearly a perfect 2,500 RPM's. I can typically keep my engine load below 25%. EGT's typically are about 600*F.

Here’s my data log from a 30 min highway run cruising up hills egts won’t go past 1000 I don’t have my quad egt gauge hooked up.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=90586236393748262639

51 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

it looks like you are not getting into cruise timing reliably at your cruise state.

Whats your current cruise timing limit % set at?  What does your load report at your typical cruise speed / state?

22% cruise and load is typically around 15/17 at about 70mph I drive where it’s very hilly 

increase light load limit to %30

that tells the quad if you are under %30 load then use cruise timing otherwise use tow / performance timing.  

Then watch your cruise % and see if you are jumping above that %30 mark. 

Rolling over hill it should just jump out of cruise timing then come back quickly.  I think mike says %5 over your desired cruise load.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

increase light load limit to %30

that tells the quad if you are under %30 load then use cruise timing otherwise use tow / performance timing.  

Then watch your cruise % and see if you are jumping above that %30 mark. 

Rolling over hill it should just jump out of cruise timing then come back quickly.  I think mike says %5 over your desired cruise load.

Ok I’ll change it to 30% and see what’s she does. Should I worry about cylinder pressure my timing is about 21.3* when running at 70mph. If I increase the light load limit that higher timing will still be there when pushing about 10-15psi. And is that timing to high for winter in Wisconsin rn we averaging 30* and my iat doesn’t go above 70 when I drive on the high for 40 min coming back from school

• Owner

There is a breaking point to cruise timing too. More focus you build to a set speed the better. Sometimes though building to high speed like 70 and 80 MPH just are not reachable with cruise timing. Say you build a tune around 80 MPH you can get 20 to 21 MPH but now the lower speed typically will be poor like my 65 MPH will be 18 MPG. So its best to build around like 60 or 65 MPH for cruise timing. This way the middle ground speeds tend to be better for MPG.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 5:07 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

There is a breaking point to cruise timing too. More focus you build to a set speed the better. Sometimes though building to high speed like 70 and 80 MPH just are not reachable with cruise timing. Say you build a tune around 80 MPH you can get 20 to 21 MPH but now the lower speed typically will be poor like my 65 MPH will be 18 MPG. So its best to build around like 60 or 65 MPH for cruise timing. This way the middle ground speeds tend to be better for MPG.

If you don't mind me asking, what cruise timing do you run with your mpg tune when you go 70-80? Maybe I can try experiment with a higher speed to see if my mpg can increase. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Southpole560 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what cruise timing do you run with your mpg tune when you go 70-80? Maybe I can try experiment with a higher speed to see if my mpg can increase. Thanks!

My running about 20* sometimes 21* when I hit cruise and my egts are at about 700

Try setting the light throttle advancement to 2°. I personally have my light throttle load limit set to 33% and have seen alright results. Last trip I took I got 18.9mpg tank average going from Portland to Pendleton, OR and had cruise set at 65. I also slowed down on the grades and let the momentum bring the truck up a bit until my speed got down to 55 then slowly increased when it was flat again. My 35 inch tires are like 33.5 now.