• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Average mpg for basically stock truck

• Staff

I think then I'll stick with the rv275's. It'll be a little bit before I can get them but as soon as I can.

Looking at DAP they have rebuilt rv275's with good used nozzles for $225 plus a core charge.

Do these need to be popped at a certain pressure or is what they set them at good?

With they set the pop pres. at my request? 

• Owner

Bosch RV275 are already popped and test by Bosch there is no customizing an RV275 other than that you lose the warranty. Too small of a injector to add pop pressure. Need to get above 100 HP to start thinking about adding pop pressure.

7 x 0.010 you can safely add +10 bar no problem.

Still be better off with a tuner though. 

My mind says these trucks running stock turbos a quad and 150s are all running hot towing.  Regardless of tune.

Stock turbo and factory tune will also run hot but is easily peddled off.

I'd get 150s turbo then tuner in that order.

Drive by temp gauge religiously until turbo is upgraded.

• Staff

I would like to go bigger than the rv275's but in reality I don't know how soon I would spring for the tuner ($700 is a big investment, I might be a little on the cheap skate side) or bigger turbo. Then at what point do you have to think about head studs and such? I would like a bit more power but don't want to sacrifice reliability or over complicate things.

• Owner
4 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

or bigger turbo.

No turbo needed for RV275 or +50 HP. No exhaust needed either. I ran 3" exhaust for over 275k miles. No EGTs issues for daily driver. 

I would like to go bigger than the rv275's

+50 HP injectors last I checked at DAP are cheaper than RV275's. 

Then at what point do you have to think about head studs and such?

When boost exceeds 45 PSI. You'll need at least a 7 x 0.010 injectors. Even back with the +75 HP injectors barely made 40 PSI of boost where the 7 x 0.010 injectors are 47 to 48 PSI of boost roughly. Stock HX35 turbo is good for at least 35 PSI of boost. 

• Owner
12 minutes ago, Evan said:

I'd look at 75s as stock replacement 

Good choice for injector too. Works with all stock stuff pretty good except needs to tuner to control smoke.

13 minutes ago, Evan said:

Call DAP DFI industrial maybe even Blue Chip.

DAP, Industrial Injection, DFI are all good. Might call a local diesel shop for there opinion too.

• Like 1

• Owner
8 minutes ago, Evan said:

I didnt feel my 100s where to smokey with factory tune.:) but I dont drive with much throttle pedal unless I'm towing 

Depends on the state and local laws. 

Like here around home I'm fine with black smoke. Local law enforcement isn't going to pull you over for a smoke like here in Adams County or Idaho County. Now same state and just go into Boise now that a different story this can get you pulled over pretty quickly. Ada Country and Canyon County both have smog regulations and do enforce them. Being most of my travel is highway speed and passing on two lane roads I have to consider WOT as a level of smoke too. 

Smoke amount depends on the injectors. Like my RV275's with out the Edge Comp could be a bit smokey at times. +50 HP injectors from Vulcan Performance was popped to 305 bar and were very smokey without the Edge Comp. +75 HP on the Quadzilla of course the Quadzilla tunes that out good, stock ECM tune was very smokey again popped at 305 bar. Now my 150 HP injectors popped at 320 bar are cleaner than my +75 HP injectors. Bigger nozzles, but higher pop pressure really does clean it up a bunch.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I live and work in ada county though I'm registered in Elmore county.

I think I smke more than you but havent been pulled over.

Getting 15k moving is when I put on a smoke show. Empty I'm just a good haze unless I stand on then  roll some black wich isnt very often 

On 3/8/2020 at 8:09 PM, Evan said:

My mind says these trucks running stock turbos a quad and 150s are all running hot towing.  Regardless of tune.

I disagree. Stock Turbo and almost any injector, even 250's could run cool if tuned right with the Quad. It would be somewhat pointless, but could be safe if one tunes it safe and is waiting for a bigger turbo or compounds.

• Like 2

• Owner
1 hour ago, kzimmer said:

Stock Turbo and almost any injector, even 250's could run cool if tuned right with the Quad. It would be somewhat pointless, but could be safe if one tunes it safe and is waiting for a bigger turbo or compounds.

True. Stock turbo (54/60/12) and 150 HP injectors can be made to run with the Quadzilla. I've done it. Then upgraded to the Hybrid  (60/60/12) which mildly reduced EGT's and gave a bit more power. I was still towing my 8,000 pound 31 foot RV on the stock turbo. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 8:09 PM, Evan said:

You have said this many times without any real experience beyond the S03. In the nicest way possible your mind is wrong, you need to drive a truck with a proper tune.  7 x .010's and a stock turbo with proper tuning is nice to drive.

moving from 7 x .009's to 7 x .012's my EGT's did not increase with Injector size, EGT's were a result of tuning.    Same turbo more than double the fuel and egt's did not change after tuning.  

I have posted these before, but the proof is in the pudding.

0-60 %50 throttle towing my old steel gooseneck horse trailer.

0-60towing7x012.PNG

Lugdown locked TC od uphill high throttle - WOT with the same trailer.  Note that speed and RPM are dropping, but throttle was held high.  Next note EGT's  no out of control.  I pretty much forced the truck into the worst possible situtation and prevented downshift to see what would happen.

towinglug7x012.PNG

Lugged snap WOT passing situtation %100 throttle  50-70 mph

OD Pull 7x012.PNG

So again EGT's are a result of tuning, not injectors ASSUMING the injectors are built to cummins spec.

• Like 1

• Owner
12 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I have to ask:

What are the numbers that you use when referring to the turbo? i.e. 54/60/12

Size of the turbo parts...

Compressor wheel in mm / Turbine wheel in mm / Exhaust housing in cm2

Stock HX35 is 54mm / 60mm / 12cm2 or for short 54/60/12

• Owner
8 minutes ago, Evan said:

I'd love to drive a quad truck with a proper tune with injectors and stock turbo with 15k behind it so I can gain the experience

Just do it.

I've done plenty of heavy hauls with my truck from firewood, tractors, backhoes, hay, etc. I plan on being hitched up to my RV in the next week. I typically cross the scale with the RV somewhere at 17,000 GCW pounds loaded. The hay haul was about 18,000 just the trailer. Quadzilla did really good for the early beta testing days. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Injectors first.

Guess I'll have to run up there with the backhoe. You will gross 31500.  Kidding been a long time since I I towed that much behind a pickup.

It's just hard to believe that 150s stock turbo that a quad can magically make it run cool. Ofcourse a empty truck has no concern.

Fuel = heat theres enough fuel there with 150s and factory tune to see high egts while towing.  Does quad pull fuel and timing to reduce this heat.  Or certain throttle parameters