• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nation 180A

59 minutes ago, HOUTX02 said:

Hey guys, quick question.

I ordered a Nations 180A alternator for my 02 cummins. Is it a drop in/plug and play? Does anything need to be changed with it?

I have the bosch 136A currently and am trying to reduce AC ripple. 

Yes it’s plug and play but as @IBMobile said I highly recommend the W-T mod. 

• Owner

The stock charge lead is too small for 180A alternator and the PDC fuse is too small. So the W-T mod and the PCM protection fuse is requirement to make it work correctly. You'll need a circuit breaker most likely 200A. You can do fuses but make sure to buy more than just one or two. Then make sure to care tools for said fuse so you can change it. I like the circuit breaker is reset-able works pretty good as long as it hidden from hi heat. I've got mine buried on the firewall side of the passenger side battery tray. 

Ok thanks, Forgive my ignorance here.... I understand that the W-T ground mod is too help reduce AC ripple; And the PCM protection fuse is for proctecting the PCM incase of a rare short correct? So why are these required for the  Nations 180A? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Nations told me it was a drop in and plug and play...

36 minutes ago, HOUTX02 said:

Ok thanks, Forgive my ignorance here.... I understand that the W-T ground mod is too help reduce AC ripple; And the PCM protection fuse is for proctecting the PCM incase of a rare short correct? So why are these required for the  Nations 180A? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Nations told me it was a drop in and plug and play...

@W-T explains it in his post but the short version is Dodge did a terrible job grounding those wires.  I’m still running the 150amp circuit breaker and 6 gauge wire on mine. Just recently adding on board air with my exhaust break with no issues yet but it’s still pretty cool here still. I will probably upgrade to 4 gauge wire and 200 amp breaker for CYA by spring time. 

The AC noise is for when the nations begins making AC noise.  It is an alternator and just like all alternators no matter who made them, It makes AC power.  Electronics inside the alternator clip the AC waves and make them look like DC.  When those electronics begin expelling their magic smoke, you can get more AC than you really want.

While the alternator is making the AC power and turning it into DC, all voltage regulation is done inside the PCM.  On many vehicles this was actually done at the alternator itself.  Chrysler for many years on many vehicles decided to incorporate voltage regulation in the PCM.  There are probably many good reasons to do this, but to us average guys, when the voltage regulation lets its magic smoke out, it can take the whole PCM with it. 

All we are trying to do is make the magic smoke stay where it is supposed to.  or when the inevitable happens and the magic smoke escapes, it escapes from parts that are easily and more cheaply replaced.

HTH

Hag

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Haggar said:

The AC noise is for when the nations begins making AC noise.  It is an alternator and just like all alternators no matter who made them, It makes AC power.  Electronics inside the alternator clip the AC waves and make them look like DC.  When those electronics begin expelling their magic smoke, you can get more AC than you really want.

While the alternator is making the AC power and turning it into DC, all voltage regulation is done inside the PCM.  On many vehicles this was actually done at the alternator itself.  Chrysler for many years on many vehicles decided to incorporate voltage regulation in the PCM.  There are probably many good reasons to do this, but to us average guys, when the voltage regulation lets its magic smoke out, it can take the whole PCM with it. 

All we are trying to do is make the magic smoke stay where it is supposed to.  or when the inevitable happens and the magic smoke escapes, it escapes from parts that are easily and more cheaply replaced.

HTH

Hag

34 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Bingo!

Got it!

My next question is am I ok to install this alternator now without doing these right away?

I plan on doing this eventually once I build up the courage to start splitting wire looms apart lol 

The charge lead is too small? Like the gauge of the wire? If so what size is it currently and what do I need?

PDC fuse is too small? What is it currently and what do I need? What is the circuit breaker for? ( Obv it breaks the circuit, but why is it needed in this case?)

thanks!

Your first question is Yes.  Its fine to install without doing any mods.

For the others, hopefully someone will chime in.  You are going to need to read and reread the mod instructions so you can grasp what is needed in your instance.  I think what the other guys were saying, is they are only protected to 150 amps.  you are putting a 180 amp alternator on, and they are warning you to not copy them, their system is a bit lower amperage.

Hag

• Staff

Im interested in measuring the level of AC ripple coming from a brand new Nations alternator. If you can do that for us HOUTX02,that would be very much appreciated. And then measure the level after the W-T mods. It may be more important you do the mods if higher output alternator brings with it a higher amount of AC ripple .

Edited by JAG1

As a member of the electrically challanged club, dont let opening the wiring loom bother you. There is not a lot of wires in that loom. The mod is pretty straight forward if you can look around all of the jargon explaining why you should do it. Dont get me wrong it is good info. After you have read it,  just look at the physical part of the work and it is not difficult.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOUTX02 said:

The charge lead is too small? Like the gauge of the wire? If so what size is it currently and what do I need?

PDC fuse is too small? What is it currently and what do I need? What is the circuit breaker for? ( Obv it breaks the circuit, but why is it needed in this case?)

I will be using 4 gauge wire. The 140 amp PDC fuse will no longer be used. Run The 4 gauge lead charge wire through to the 200 amp breaker to the passenger side positive post on the battery. I have an additional 2 gauge welding wire connecting both negative sides of the batteries  together. It helps to balance the batteries when charging. 

18 hours ago, Threadzy said:

I will be using 4 gauge wire. The 140 amp PDC fuse will no longer be used. Run The 4 gauge lead charge wire through to the 200 amp breaker to the passenger side positive post on the battery. I have an additional 2 gauge welding wire connecting both negative sides of the batteries  together. It helps to balance the batteries when charging. 

The 140a fuse wont be used because the breaker will replace it?