• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nation 180A

• Staff
17 minutes ago, dripley said:

Sincw you move the charge wire to the passanger battery, you have bypassed it anyway. But to answer your question, yes.

And helps reduce AC ripple going thru the batteries instead of going to the the PDC.

So... the general consensus is I am good to got on installing the nations 180a this weekend without messing anything up,  and to further help with the ac ripple, do the w/t mod and pcm protection mod.

also what are yalls recommendations on batteries? I have optima red tops now and am not a big fan of them. 

• Owner

Actually it reduces the AC noise because its is NOT running beside the ground for the ECM and VP44. Then the grounds are over 4 feet shorter. The charge lead is now on the passenger side and the grounds go to the driver side. There is distance between the ground leads and the alternator charge lead now. 

Stock setup you can see the ground and charge lead running parallel to each other.

DSCF4415.JPG

After the mod... ECM and VP44 grounds are tied to the gear case. 

DSCF4427.JPG

Then the alternator charge line goes to the passenger battery but passing through a 150A circuit breaker.

DSCF4424.JPG

• Owner
Just now, Dieselfuture said:

Walmart batteries work fine if you maintain them

Walmart battery work great I'm almost to 10 years on these batteries.

Tidbit there is only 3 companies that manufacture batteries. Then on top of that Walmart batteries are the very same battery the factory installed back in the day typically an upgrade to 810 CCA or so.

AGM batteries I'm no fond of at all seen several explode, can't add distill water. Then you can't equalize charge the batteries to clean the plates of sulphation. Being all the battery in my vehicles last over 10 years I'll stick with lead acid batteries. Even the batteries power my home are going to surpass 10 years soon. I've got a 1,000 pounds of lead acid batteries. (Solar and hydro powered home).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HOUTX02 said:

The 140a fuse wont be used because the breaker will replace it?

You can still use that terminal at PDC for other devices, just use another fuse appropriate size to device or 140 may not pop but you wires will melt. I'm using it for few things, like fuel pump and some other things I have on truck, combined fuses amp I'm around 40. 

Don't mean to confuse you any further :rolleyes:

On 2/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, HOUTX02 said:

Ok thanks, Forgive my ignorance here.... I understand that the W-T ground mod is too help reduce AC ripple; And the PCM protection fuse is for proctecting the PCM incase of a rare short correct? So why are these required for the  Nations 180A? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Nations told me it was a drop in and plug and play...

It's not that rare. I fried my PCM on a botched rebuilt alternator. 

Granted that simple missing ring cost me about $400 and lead to one of the most prolific articles ever written. 

• Staff
19 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Granted that simple missing ring cost me about $400 and lead to one of the most prolific articles ever written. 

Was it rebuilt by your rebuilder or was it an auto parts store item? Are you saying it was a missing slip ring? Sorry I have big thick skull and need elaboration for it to get thru.

Edited by JAG1

7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Was it rebuilt by your rebuilder or was it an auto parts store item? Are you saying it was a missing slip ring? Sorry I have big thick skull and need elaboration for it to get thru.

I rebuilt it myself. I was rebuilding alternators and testing out different diode packs and I left the sealing ring out. It's funny I always bench tested them before I put it in. Dum me. For not doing that time. 

Lucky it was just on my truck, I rebuilt several and luckily for me it was the for my truck that was botched.

• Thanks 2

• Owner
10 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

That is because of the alternator had a short on the blue wire field lead. This will be a dead short back to the PCM which supplies the +12V. The PCM is protected by a 20A fuse and the circuit board can't hold the current flow. POOF! Magic smoke released form the circuit board. This is where the protection fuse mod comes in. This protects the PCM from current over 5A and the fuse blows not the PCM

Yeah I know you know that but the rest might not...

• Like 1