• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DO EXHAUST RESONATORS ROB HORSEPOWER??

Back when all I was running was the EZ, I know for a fact that when I replaced my 3" straight piped factory exhaust with a 4" exhaust system I gained some HP.  I dont believe it was copious amounts because it was nothing the butt detector could register, but I'm going to guess around 10 HP.  Just enough to make the stock clutch slip at WOT while pulling my 5th wheel up a steep grade in 4th gear.  There was no denying the gain either since there was zero other variables to consider.  I literally did nothing else from one day making that pull to another day making the same exact pull but with a new exhaust system...

I've got a 5" FTE resonator and a muffler on my 4th gen. 
Before adding the FTE, I just had the muffler. I didn't notice any difference when I added the resonator in (EGTs, mpg, or butt dyno). I'm guessing my hp is around 385-400. I doubt you'd notice anything. 

That said - FTE is known to cause restriction. 

Edited by TFaoro

On 2/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, KATOOM said:

I vote someone with an FTE do a with and without dyno test for us all...  For educational purposes of course.  :smart:

It makes a world of a difference in sound. 

My exhaust finally broke before my FTE resonator the other day. As for me I didn't notice any performance difference. Now I suspect that is because the 4" is much larger then the flow of the motor.  Therefore any restriction that could be there is not there. 

The only difference is sound, that drone is killer. Irony has it that I was looking to replace that exhaust because it was coming apart anyways. Now I have an excuse to replace it.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:shrug: 4" does not drone at all at 80 MPH

I got a 4" downpipe that starts as a 3 at turbo then 5" all the way back with a muffler I think, I don't want to chocke it if I don't have to ( no funny chicken jokes here ). If fte offer a 5" I might try it out. I think my truck been getting louder lately or I'm getting old like @Evan how does Donaldson compare to fte? Does it have performance in it's mind at all or just aimed at reducing noise?

1 hour ago, dave110 said:

I don't advise thinking over 72.

I usually don't but been driving so much lately, I just want to get where I'm going and don't really care about mpg and my brain, all though it be nice to get around 20 going 80 and not be brain dead by the time I get where I'm going, or I'll never know why I went there in the first place :think:

• Haha 1