• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommendations

@Steve31 I'll echo everyone else and say that studs are a no brainer if you are starting to push things a little hard. As far as the head gasket goes, it's my understanding that a high amount of timing advance at low RPM while building boost is the most dangerous for your head gasket. Keep that in mind while building your tunes. It makes sense when you think about it, in stock form I don't think these trucks make much boost in the low RPM range. This is also why people blow head gaskets during cold weather with a cold motor; the computer cranks up the timing advance to compensate for the cold weather and help warm the motor up faster. Drive it hard in this condition and you're playing with fire.

One of my peaves with the Quadzilla right now is that it runs factory timing in warm up mode. With my truck, factory timing is WAY too advanced in this condition. I'd like Quadzilla to allow me to run my custom timing settings during warmup, but I haven't asked for this feature change yet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Turn warm up mode to 120 is one thing you can do and maybe be easy till it gets there

Yeah I could turn it down, but I like it set at 150°F especially on really cold days. When it's -35°C outside, a 120°F warmup doesn't cut it. I like it to continue to high idle, and when I drive I like that it limits canbus fuel to my 0 psi setting until my temperature has been reached. I don't understand why it needs to run factory timing during the warmup.

• Owner

I run 170*F warm up limit. This runs the super advanced timing of the stock ECM till warmed up then flips to my bit retarded timing after the 170*F. I checked on level 0 stock will twist about 21 to 22 degrees at 2K RPM then once warm up mode completes then it drops to about 19 degrees. It's worth looking at Level 0 sometimes to see where stock is vs your tune. 

• Owner
2 hours ago, kzimmer said:

I don't understand why it needs to run factory timing during the warmup.

Because under load the timing drop very low to as deep as 8 degree BTDC. This keeps the cylinder pressures lower and not likely to pop head gaskets. Where the Quadzilla could possibly hold timing more advanced even cold. You have to look at the entire timing curve stock to understand. 20% engine load and the timing drops super quick into a deep retard. 

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

It's worth looking at Level 0 sometimes to see where stock is vs your tune. 

Agreed, I do this all the time on the highway.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Because under load the timing drop very low to as deep as 8 degree BTDC. This keeps the cylinder pressures lower and not likely to pop head gaskets. Where the Quadzilla could possibly hold timing more advanced even cold. You have to look at the entire timing curve stock to understand. 20% engine load and the timing drops super quick into a deep retard. 

Right. But it's the complete opposite. My truck rattles like a bastard with factory timing during warmup mode. Way too advanced. It doesn't feel right driving it like that on a really cold morning. Most people don't understand what cold really means. When it's cold here, it's frigid.

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Factory timing is good for warmup.     I trust factory timing on a cold engine much more than some random guys tune.  

That's a fair assessment. The trouble is, people like me bought the Quadzilla because our trucks are heavily modified and need customization. Which we have for the most part.

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

V2 has to meet the needs of the many.  I understand your desire @kzimmer, butthat desire isn't best for the majority.

In my pea sized brain, it's as simple as adding a setting with an option to either use Factory timing during warmup, or the custom timing parameters that have already been entered. I do also understand that this is easier said than done, and Quad has really struggled with app development updates in a timely manner. Personally, I don't see any need for any properly tuned truck to ever use factory timing. However, I think my particular VP44 happens to run very far on the advanced side, plus not a lot of people only drive their truck 4km to work on -35°C days. So I might be an island. Regardless, as a consumer and a tinkerer, more ability of optional customization is always appreciated, and I would gladly pay for new updates and improvements. In a nutshell, when I think about problems like this, in my eyes, when there are two possible paths, it's a good idea to offer a choice when possible.

But, again, I might be an island, lol.

The routine to enable or disable timing during warmup would be a good amount of work.  

Just a quick look a tthe code shows that I would have to duplicate the entire Timing calc within the warmup routine in order to get the user defined timing while in warmup.     

Next you would have to add a new tuning variable, which means the base flash would have to match the vehicle profile,  a mismatch would result in failed tune loads.  This means EVERYONE would have to update their base flash before the vehicle profile could be updated for the new vehicle profile.   

At this point adding a new tuning variable is just not in the cards.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, Evan said:

Parts are all mostly junk.

I'd buy whatever from whom ever is close. Hope to get 50k out of them

Just went to orielly got all the goodies ordered

also if you google there part numbers on the tie rods moog comes up?

so I guess I’ll be good for 2-3 years lol