• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight upgrade problems.

3 hours ago, dripley said:

The reason I mentioned bulbs was how far the LED's protrude. Mine stick into the housing a good bit more yours maybe. Not for sure whats going on. Got a pic with the halogens in?

20200225_110334.jpg.ae8a8639267ceefbf858eb3894136c76.jpg

I’ll take one Later when I’m off work 

4 hours ago, Threadzy said:

No problem. I am just trying to get a handle on why these things dont work in some housings or the housings dont work with the bulbs. Seems I got pretty lucky and dont know why.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dripley said:

The reason I mentioned bulbs was how far the LED's protrude. Mine stick into the housing a good bit more yours maybe. Not for sure whats going on. Got a pic with the halogens in?

20200225_110334.jpg.ae8a8639267ceefbf858eb3894136c76.jpg

My phone makes the picture look a lot brighter than it actually is. They’re more of a yellow color. Also my driveway slopes up. Your shroud is shorter than mine. 

AF45185E-18EF-4211-8883-1C7C97947A6D.jpeg

675FE623-C593-44DF-B48C-17C1BC702817.jpeg

Edited by Threadzy

The shroud is definitely shorter. Makes hard to tell which bulb is further from the reflector. Are the halogens blinding also. They look a bit better, cant tell from behind them. This LED's in mine from 75'. It is pretty accurate pic, from a kneeling pisition.

20191226_184903.jpg.565bd95dfcad32ef30d17edf64d08d18.jpg

4 hours ago, Threadzy said:

No not at all. Your shroud is shaped differently and looks to have louvers cut into them. I’ll take a front picture tomorrow night. 

No louvres. I think they look very similar to me reflector wise any way. Just just a curved back with creases to fit.

• Like 1

• Owner
12 hours ago, LorenS said:

I finally gave up and just put in HID projectors.  Now I love my lights!

Told ya... :thumbup2:

Just made a fire call for the first time last night and tickled the HIDs were in my Cummins. I was able to see deer along the road side very easily. Still gotta adjust the headlights in the 1996 Dodge. LED installed but the aim is wrong and too high.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, dripley said:

The shroud is definitely shorter. Makes hard to tell which bulb is further from the reflector. Are the halogens blinding also. They look a bit better, cant tell from behind them. This LED's in mine from 75'. It is pretty accurate pic, from a kneeling pisition.

20191226_184903.jpg.565bd95dfcad32ef30d17edf64d08d18.jpg

Here are the halogens about 40 feet away. 

08F988A4-4C75-48BF-B5C1-90571E0CF7D0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Told ya... :thumbup2:

Just made a fire call for the first time last night and tickled the HIDs were in my Cummins. I was able to see deer along the road side very easily. Still gotta adjust the headlights in the 1996 Dodge. LED installed but the aim is wrong and too high.

I may just end up doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, Threadzy said:

Ya I’m done messing with them. I’m just going to save up and by some from the Retro shop.

23 minutes ago, Twobarrell said:

I may just end up doing the same thing.

I agree with @Mopar1973Man, they are worth every penny! :thumbup2:  Being able to see the sides of the road clearly is amazing (and thats with the low beams) and it makes driving at night enjoyable.

Just be aware you may have to swap the pins around in them or your highs/lows will be backwards.  Simple to do though.

IMG_20200206_092210.jpg

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
a picture is worth a 1000 words...
  • Like 3

• Owner
5 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I agree with @Mopar1973Man, they are worth every penny! :thumbup2:  Being able to see the sides of the road clearly is amazing (and thats with the low beams) and it makes driving at night enjoyable.

The only thing I will warn about hi beams look nearl the same when there is no tall objecto bounce light off. Like open field will look the same with hi or lo beam. Now running the canyon or forest roads the light bounces back off trees and rock faces. Now you can clearly see the hi and lo beams. 

5 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

just be aware you may have to swap the pins around in them or your highs/lows will be backwards.  Simple to do though.

Yup. I had the same problem and swap the pins. This is because the common pin on the bulbs are +12V and not GROUND. Then the hi and lo beam legs are switch GROUND.

You did the H1 mini did you? @hdpwipmonkey Then you did the switch back LEDs! :thumbup2:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You did the H1 mini did you? @hdpwipmonkey Then you did the switch back LEDs! :thumbup2:

Yeah, I went the cheaper route with the headlights.  The H1 still looks great at night but I can't imagine how much better the D2S looks in real life if they are a wider beam.  I'm not a fan of the halos or demon eyes so I didn't pay for any of that silliness... :nono:

I liked the way your switchback LEDs looked in your video so I had to get some for myself.  I need to have my wife drive in front of me at night to make sure those switchbacks aren't blinding people though.  They sure are bright and they seem to cast light in all directions when I stand in front of the truck and look at them. :wow:

MVIMG_20200130_175959.jpg.95ea40e1bb14f918a4c31d6a523f4701.jpg