• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

no headlights after cummins swap

I swapped a 98.5 24v into my 01. Now no headlights, taillights, dashlights, or parking lights. I'm thinking it has something to do with the switches being different between the years, any help would be great. I'm self employed and this is my company truck and need it to go down the road.

• Owner

Yes sir...

The wiring on the headlights are WAY different... Black is showing ground leads. Red is showing positive leads. 

2001 is... Constantly hot with +12V switch the ground to turn on.

+12V -> Fuse -> Bulb <- dimmer switch <- Headlight switch <- ground in driver side kick panel.

1998.5 is... Is switched +12V

+12V -> Fuse -> headlight switch -> dimmer switch -> bulb <-grounds to radiator support. 

3 hours ago, GTCummins said:

I swapped a 98.5 24v into my 01. Now no headlights, taillights, dashlights, or parking lights. I'm thinking it has something to do with the switches being different between the years, any help would be great. I'm self employed and this is my company truck and need it to go down the road.

Am I missing something..... you put a98.5 engine into a 01 ??? How does that affect the headlight switch ?? Or am I reading your post wrong and just being dumb ? 

• Like 1

Headlight switches are different

Mopar1973Man what can I do to make it work? Wire in older switch?

42 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Am I missing something..... you put a98.5 engine into a 01 ??? How does that affect the headlight switch ?? Or am I reading your post wrong and just being dumb ? 

10 minutes ago, GTCummins said:

Headlight switches are different

Mopar1973Man what can I do to make it work? Wire in older switch?

Guess I am mising it too. I would have thought the 98.5 would be having a hard with the 01 electronics since the sensors are different. Thought the headlights were seperate from the motor harness. But is electrical is not my strong point.

Swapped everything that is attached to the motor, unplugged harness above pedals inside cab. Headlights are part of that harness. Just trying to figure out how to get headlights. Everything that is controlled by headlight switch including dash lights dont function.

15 minutes ago, GTCummins said:

Swapped everything that is attached to the motor, unplugged harness above pedals inside cab. Headlights are part of that harness. Just trying to figure out how to get headlights. Everything that is controlled by headlight switch including dash lights dont function.

that explains the no lights, probably been easier to use truck harness connected to engine

You have to switch entire dash out of 98.5 into my 01 to get that harness. The motor harness plugged right into my 01 cab harness. Also installed 98.5 dash cluster into 01 cab. Everything works except for whatever headlight switch powers.

18 minutes ago, wil440 said:

that explains the no lights, probably been easier to use truck harness connected to engine

I explained wrong headlights are a part of the engine wiring harness

Edited by GTCummins

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes sir...

The wiring on the headlights are WAY different... Black is showing ground leads. Red is showing positive leads. 

2001 is... Constantly hot with +12V switch the ground to turn on.

+12V -> Fuse -> Bulb <- dimmer switch <- Headlight switch <- ground in driver side kick panel.

1998.5 is... Is switched +12V

+12V -> Fuse -> headlight switch -> dimmer switch -> bulb <-grounds to radiator support. 

What can I do to fix the issue rewire headlight switch? Install older switch?