• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tire recommendations

I'm running BF Goodrich All Terrain TA K02's right now and they seem to do pretty good other than having to rotate them every 2500 miles. I've heard there are better tires for these heavy Dodges like the Toyo or Yokohama but i haven't run anything else. I'll be buying 265/70-17 load range E.  What are you guys using? What to stay away from? Would like to stay with a similar tread pattern.

Screenshot_2020-02-21-17-56-50.png

Edited by Gregturley
Typo

I love my tires (see signature).  Have 40k miles on them and they still have over 3/8" of tread; they start at I believe 17/32".

This is only my first set of tires on my truck, so can't really compare with others.  I don't run heavy, around 7,800 pounds, and do a lot of highway driving to construction sites to reach 30k miles per year.  Even my daily commute to the office is 98% interstate.

I'd buy them again, but plan to try Cooper's American-made tires when I finally need a set, just to support my country.  Can't complain about the Yokohamas at all.  https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT+G015&partnum=67SR7G015

Edited by LorenS
Update tread depth.
  • Thanks 1

I ran a set Geolanders on mine many years back and only got about 50k out of them. Never tried them again. I am on my 4th set of Cooper ATP's from Discount tire and get about 65k out of them. About $900 for the set. The tread is different than what you are looking for however. Funny how some of us get better mileage out a certain brand than others. But seems pretty commom. The above is just my personal experience with the Coopers, others might disagree.

• Thanks 1

I had a set of Hankook Dynapro, if I remember correctly, on my company pickup, a 2015 Silverado 1500 that went 101,000 miles. I carried a lot of tools so was heavy for a 1/2 ton. Tires would have gone farther if I would’ve rotated them regularly. Have Toyo open country on my Dodge. Unsure of mileage but they seemed to wear quickly. Next set will likely be Hankooks. 

• Thanks 1

I'm running Yokos now. We'll see how they do but so far I'm happy. I do very little highway travel, tow, haul is what I have my truck for. 50k on a set of tires would be a colossal event for me.

1 minute ago, LorenS said:

"under hood mouse nest delete"

HA!

I love that mod.!!!

"every A/T3W tire is qualified by USTMA and TRAC for the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) symbol"
Maybe THOSE will be my next tire!  I had a set of BF Goodrich Commercial Traction tires on my old C20 Chevy and my 1995 K1500 Suburban, and they had the three peak mountain snowflake.  Absolutely wonderful in the snow and pasture, and they didn't self destruct in the summer heat, either.  They did ride a little rough for the poor half-ton Burb, though!  Resolved by only running ~30 PSIG.  Those BFGs don't come in 17s, last I checked, which is why I didn't buy them.

I've been happy with Hankook dynapro so far, got them just over a year ago, put about 8k haven measured tread but they look new still. I do 70 hwy 30 town. 

Had toyo open country and they did ok but started cracking like dry rot and I was told it was normal with them, screw that I got rid of them and went with Hankook after @Mopar1973Man recommendation. 

• Thanks 1

I have had several sets of BFG all terrains and they are a great tire...always got 50k out of em.  Currently I'm running Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in an E load range.  They are an all terrain but a very subtle tread pattern.  Only had them for about 8k miles so they still look new.  Super quiet on the highway and seem to do well in the slop.  Time will tell on the mileage but they are 50k warrantied. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Had toyo open country and they did ok but started cracking like dry rot and I was told it was normal with them, screw that I got rid of them and went with Hankook after @Mopar1973Man recommendation.

Getting 60k for sure out of set of tires. Running Hankook ATm 245/75 R16 tires. So far had 3 sets of them and love the traction in the snow. Good quiet highway tire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Currently running Cooper AT3 XLT’s. They are 3PMSF rated and carry a mileage warranty. So far I’m happier with them than any other tire I’ve run on my trucks. I looked at the Falkens but they don’t have as good of mileage warranty and the price difference was small. The Coopers are also US made. 

• Thanks 1

• Staff
26 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

@AH64ID just looked at the Coopers. Nice tire but they dont make it in 265/70-17.

@Gregturley Take a look at the AT3 LT, it comes in that size. I  guess the XLT is the slightly larger size series of the same tire. Minor sidewall differences. 

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-lt

Edited by AH64ID

After way too much reading on tires i think I'll go with the Falken Wild Peak. I can get 5 tires for $400 and can probably sell my BFG's and break even. Only 4 more wheels to finish 1st.

Anyone need 4 BFG 265/75-16 load E with about 8,000 miles and a 5th non match for the spare? Mounted ready to go.

• Staff
37 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

After way too much reading on tires i think I'll go with the Falken Wild Peak. I can get 5 tires for $400 and can probably sell my BFG's and break even. Only 4 more wheels to finish 1st.

Anyone need 4 BFG 265/75-16 load E with about 8,000 miles and a 5th non match for the spare? Mounted ready to go.

Where can you find them for that price? 

Rinky dink cheap Chinese car tires aren’t even that cheap. I’d be rather skeptical.