• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What mpgs with 7x0.010?

2 hours ago, dripley said:

I have an Edge Comp on mine. No adjustability. Just whats in the box. It is a 5 level tuner 60 to 120 hp. It has 5 sub for brining on full fuel based on boost. Thats it. Right now level 4 and 5 are not available since the pump is not tapped. Vouds my pump warranty. A quad may be in the future.

I wonder how much timing it adds to stock. That would be interesting to see.

29 minutes ago, Southpole560 said:

@Mopar1973Man would know more about that than. Right now my comp is pretty much an EZ without the pump tapped.

18 to 18.5 was pretty much where mine was when new.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• Owner
17 hours ago, Southpole560 said:

About 2 degrees on average. But the load limit is 20% and the timing retard quickly above 20% engine load. The only way to keep timing on a Edge Comp or Edge EZ is drive slower. 55 MPH is limit for this device to keeping the engine load down so timing stays up! Like the Quadzilla I'm pretty well locked to 19 to 20 degree at 2k RPM. My last trip to Lewiston, Idaho I twisted out 21.25 MPG

Selection_094.png

• Like 1

I agree with mike . A set of tools on hand isnt worth anything without parts.

However I run around a couple lbs shy of 10k lots of tools welder and torch on board with 34s and seem to get decent numbers.

My situation requires tools as there is no shop to drag things to. 

• Owner

Hypermiling is the point at which you have gauges for everything. Basically anything that creates heat is a loss of power. Reduce heat loss by reducing weight, wind drag, and rolling resistance. Like me I done all the weight and rolling resistance part. I just need to keep he engine load down and timing in the sweet spot. Timing is based on two factors which most will not get. Cetane of the fuel and the pop pressure of your injectors. Cetane that is high requires more retard, of course low cetane require more advanced timing. Pop pressure is going to affect clean atomized spray or big droplets that are difficult to vaporize and ignite. Hence why my 7 x 0.010 injectors were popped at 320 bar not 305 bar like most get. This provide a very fine mist but the timing is late. Quadzilla allows for adapting to different pop pressures and cetane. This is where Edge screws up big time. It follows the stock timing and adds rough +2 on top. So if the IAT temp falls to 80 or lower the ECM automagically jump +4 degrees to timing screwing up the winter MPG even worse. Hence this where my MPG fooler came to existence is because I understood colder air ment over advanced timing. Like myself my Quadziila is setup to watch Intake Air Temperature, Coolant Temperature and Engine Oil Temperature. As timing gets advanced oil temp will rise, being more flame front is against the cylinder walls. If timing is off engine load typically rises, this is due to being either retarded and only a percentage of the power is actually doing work. Or... If its too advanced the engine produces negative torque slowing the piston down as its still rising in the cylinder. So at the proper timing the engine load will be super low. Typically 65 MPH is about 16 to 17% for me. I data log all my fuel and have for years. 

High mark best is 27.2 MPG (Edge Comp, stock injectors)

Last high was 21.25 MPG

Typical average is 19 MPG currently.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Owner

I'm one of the hypermiling nuts... Being hitting high MPG numbers for long time. My goal is to bet the 1997 Dodge 1 ton in the Diesel Power Magazine which made a solid 30 MPG. Still short 3 MPG to reaching that lofty goal. Now that I'm not a dialysis schedule any more those days are going to return and high numbers will start popping again. 

1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

I'm unfamiliar with the term hypermiling.

What does that mean? (Sorry if it's a dumb question)

I'm watching this thread as I would like better mpg eventually. 

It is the art of trying to get every last .10th of a mile out of a tank fuel. By whatever means. I like good mileage as much as anyone but on my by weekly trips to and from home for work I dont drive 55 mph to get better mileage, l drive 75 to spend less time on the highway. Every extra hour in the truck is one less hour at home.

• Like 2

• Staff

Yeah I get that dripley, time at home is worth a little less mpg. I won't go crazy with the mpg battle but I figure once the motor wakes up a bit with better power through injectors, tuning and a few other light mods to make it more efficient. I don't expect to get 20-25 mpg but a little better than the 16 I get now would be good. It will probably go up some once we get out of the winter blend fuel season as well.

• Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, dripley said:

I like good mileage as much as anyone but on my by weekly trips to and from home for work I dont drive 55 mph to get better mileage, l drive 75 to spend less time on the highway. Every extra hour in the truck is one less hour at home.

Same here. My problem back with MoparMom see tends to be slow so I was typically running faster than normal to make up time. Now that is all a wash now and there is no schedules so now my MPG is starting to climb. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Same here. My problem back with MoparMom see tends to be slow so I was typically running faster than normal to make up time. Now that is all a wash now and there is no schedules so now my MPG is starting to climb. 

My drive from here is 4 and half hours. But I85 is 7nder consturuction thru a lot od SC and can get crappy. It is improving but that drive has taken 6 and hours due to traffic. On days I see it coming I take a northern route up thru Ashville NC. About 5 and a half hour drive but traffic flows better and the scenery is much nicer through the mountains.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evan said:

I agree with mike . A set of tools on hand isnt worth anything without parts.

However I run around a couple lbs shy of 10k lots of tools welder and torch on board with 34s and seem to get decent numbers.

My situation requires tools as there is no shop to drag things to. 

I don't really have an option to take the tools out. I unfortunately live in a semi truck (truck driver) and don't have the space for anything. But a house is in the near future! And a new job lol.

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Cetane that is high requires more retard, of course low cetane require more advanced timing.

What cetane rating do you have in Idaho? I know in Oregon the specifications are no less than 47 cetane but I'm not sure what the rating is for B20 that I get at the shell station. I'm thinking it might be a bit higher than 47 at that shell. I've gotten the fuelling on your eco tune down pretty well to accommodate my RV275's, but I still think my timing is slightly off. That run where I got 18.9mpg going to Pendleton was with the advancement dropped down to 2° from the original 3°. I currently have it at 2.4 but am thinking if I should possibly drop it a bit lower than 2 and see how that plays out with the B20.

Should I just be adjusting the base timing instead of the cruise timing?

Edited by Southpole560

On 2/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, Mopar1973Man said:
On 2/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

This is where Edge screws up big time. It follows the stock timing and adds rough +2 on top. So if the IAT temp falls to 80 or lower the ECM automagically jump +4 degrees to timing screwing up the winter MPG even worse.  

Do you know if the Quad XZT+ overcomes those limitations? (They advertise it as monitoring more parameters, but they do not specify in any literature I've read).

Edited by jman