• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newb needs help!!

• Staff
On 3/4/2020 at 8:40 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Hence why I just went back to factory parts which lasted over 350k miles before failure. The biggest thing is no lifts or oversized tires and this will make the front end last much longer. The oversized wheels, wild offsets and lift kits tend to screw with the geometry of the axle causing part failures to occur faster. 

Not a problem I've got two shops and work on Dodges and Chevy trucks quite a bit. Even a few Fords now and then...

Moparman drives on by stranded jacked up trucks, a lot of times by going underneath them. He knows when the market reaches bottom too .

• Owner
1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Moparman drives on by stranded jacked up trucks, a lot of times by going underneath them.

:lmao:
Yup. Funny part is jacked up trucks are typically owned by young pups. The older mature men tend not to jack them high in the air. Local rancher in my area all drive with stock height and stock tires and wheels. These young pup are the first to my door asking me to fix a host of front end issue. Just ditch the lift and tires and the problem goes away. Yup. I've got a few that did this and much happier now. Then there is the other half that kept the lift kit and wheels and spent huge money correcting the front end to hold up. As long as your pockets are deep and you do it right it will hold up great. Most though just toss tires on with a leveling kit expecting it to be a cheap upgrade. NOT!!!!

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

He knows when the market reaches bottom too .

Absolutely. 

• Like 1

I still like my 3rd gen steering. I don't do a lot of rough off-road needing articulation, but the potholes where I drive can put a beating on parts. I've hit some doozies and every time I check toe, it's spot on. I do hypothesize that the steering gear will have a slightly shortened life, but cannot estimate by how much. There's not much flex in anything to soften a big blow; of course that is one benefit to slightly larger tires.

If I didn't already have 17" wheels and brakes, I'd seriously consider 235/85/16 tires and a gear change to 3.73 (my rear gears are VERY worn so would just change the fronts, too).

Edited by LorenS
Typo