• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2006 ram 2500 5.9 Cummins runs rough and smokes cold

Badatt62

I have a 2006 ram 2500 5.9 cummins. Engine ran perfect until I had starter and batteries replaced. After that I was getting a code on banks 6 gun tuner saying fuel rail pressure sensor voltage out of range. Then it started surging from 1k to 3.5k and nearly caused me to wreck. Snap on diagnostic showed 1 injector was weak so I bought that and it cured the surge. The mechanic recommended I have the ecm flashed so I took it directly to the dealer and they flashed it. After leaving the dealership when you hit the go pedal hard I had spark knock and it was smoking bad. Had the mechanic ride with the diagnostic equipment and acceleration I'm showing negative 7 degrees timing. Since then I've replaced the cam position sensor, fuel control actuator, map sensor,  full set of injectors, high pressure pump, remanufactured ecm and another set of injectors. I have 13k in repairs and still have the problem. Now another mechanic says it sounds like a bad ground. I know this is long, but I just wanna get it fixed. Currently it runs good warm but fuel economy is down from 19 to 14.2. It's got 168k miles. Any ideas would be great 

Edited by Badatt62
Didn't show type of vehicle

Thanks, I'll ask the mechanic to check. I'm thinking it might be a bad ground. Also when the new ecm was installed, I'm not sure if the batteries were disconnected, maybe the negative was but he didn't wait 30 minutes and the key was in the ignition. Most likely I wasted 1k on that 

• Staff

Go back to where you started.. batteries and starter. 

Also disconnect the Banks, and find a new mechanic!!! 

-7° of timing might be correct depending on rpm/load. Besides, that wouldn’t tell you a bad cam/crank position sensor as it would read/show you the same thing. 

I don’t see any reason for reflashing or replacing the ECM, but this is also remote diagnosing. 

Check all the connections, especially grounds. 

Check the torque on the crossover tubes.  

what injectors did you go with? 

white or black smoke?

• Like 1

• Staff

Sounds like it could be a injector sticking, or bad ground. Possibly ring issues too. 

But you said it all started with the starter and batteries. Pull the batteries out and look for loose grounds, clean the grounds, make sure all the connections are tight.  

• Like 1