• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1st post and need advice and or help ?

2002 5.9 dually 81,000 miles on the clock. Have several problems guys. But firstly I bought the truck 6 months ago and have put 18,000 miles on it but when the cold weather hit I came up with alot of problems. I'm pretty mechanicly inclined I just dont know where to begin my first 5.9 24valve and diesel for that matter. Its pouring oil like a drop every 10 seconds out of the crank case vent so I emptied the bottle and filter and that didnt help a bit. Also theres a small hole in the bottle I'm assuming from the previous owner? Next I have a hard start fuel leak issue sets down hill truck starts fine, tighten the banjo bolt still no luck. Cant actually see fuel leaking from the bolt or any lines but the truck will drip fuel over night on the passenger side where the engine and tranny bolt up? Then lastly my quadzilla is reading 48psi constantly hooked a code reader up and got PO236 and PO216 (I know vp44 death). And now and it's only on cold starts I'm getting white turning into blue smoke then warm it goes away unless I stay at like a constant 1800 rpm in 2nd then itll smoke blue. (No blow by) I use rotella and Lucas for oil

Well first off welcome. Second off the fuel dripping is most likely coming from the return line on the back of the head. Reach around there and you can feel it or get a mirror and you can see it. It is a banjo bolt with two sealing washers and they have probably gone bad. Third the puke bottle on the front of the engine needs to go. The way the wind swirls around up front that oil is hitting the the radiator and grabbing dirt with it. It will plug up the radiator eventually. Here is mine and we have seen many worse over the years.

post-10340-138698203227_thumb.jpg

Fourth your MAP sensor could be bad, but I will defer to the more knowledgeable of the Quad for that one. And fith the blue smoke could just be from the expiring VP the white not sure. Next time it smokes white smell it and see if it smells like diesel fuel. I would then think it is the VP also. Lets see what others have to say. And again welcome.

Edited by dripley

• Owner
11 hours ago, xFreightTrain21 said:

Its pouring oil like a drop every 10 seconds out of the crank case vent so I emptied the bottle and filter and that didnt help a bit.

Check for vacuum leaks. Vacuum pump will pump excessive air in the crankcase which will push oil out the breather. 

Then lastly my quadzilla is reading 48psi constantly hooked a code reader up and got PO236 and PO216 (I know vp44 death).

MAP sensor is junk. The VP44 is still usable but no longer can adjust timing. Hence why the blue smoke. Then it could cause starting issues because timing is sticking and improper timing can make it hard starting too.

Next I have a hard start fuel leak issue sets down hill truck starts fine, tighten the banjo bolt still no luck.

Remember fuel prime issue typically do NOT leak outwards. They tend to constantly suck air in. What you have to do with a tank that is like a 1/4 to 1/2 then get the truck running so the fuel system is completely primed. Then shut down and have a person pressurize the fuel tank then a second person to crawl around now looking for leaks. The air pressure should help and push fuel out the leak. Weird ones that just hard to catch banjo on the back of the head, crossover tube o-rings, return tee at the rear of the head. 

Even a shop vacuum in blow mode works pretty good.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 hours ago, xFreightTrain21 said:

Heater controls not working so assuming my vaccum pump needs resealed 

I would not jump to resealing vacuum pump unless it’s leaking oil, main couse of oil blow by is vacuum leak on hoses, it’s why your heater control is on defrost, it’s in default mode. Start checking hoses from pump all through the system.

• 4 weeks later...

Heater controls not working so assuming my vaccum pump needs resealed along with a new map sensor and harness and that should solve my issues thanks for all the help guys

Hey guys got my vacuum pump kit and banjo washers and the seals for the t fitting on the return line ordered! Gonna do a service, fuel filters, oil change and filter, but looking on feed back on air filters? Should I get a BHAF or just a replacement filter like k&n? 

As mentioned earlier you have a leak in the vacuum system. Resealing the vacuum fixes oil leaks. Just start at the pump and follow the line. There are not many to check on an 02 manual truck. Mine broke right where the small vacuum line goes thru the firewall at the drier. Nothing wrong with sealing the pump just might not fix your problem.

Go with the BHAF. You want be sorry.

Good luck with the work.