• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P1690 after vac/power pump replace

will get a better video today, but idle pops up in rpm slightly and weird clunking noise that sounds similar to clutch trying to engage or something 

I just went through the whole injector ordeal they are good approx 80k miles on them all new rings

Edited by joeld79

3 hours ago, joeld79 said:

Also it blows blue smoke, the vacuum pump gear has nothing to do with the timing correct?

Correct. The vacuum gear runs off of the camshaft gear and just turns the pump. It is the small gear to the right of the 2 larger gears.20170528_142737.jpg.7461535b959be50ce23564117a862de4.jpg

Have you checked for trouble codes? Might have a VP going south. The codes will help.

Sorry, overlooke your thread title.

Edited by dripley

really need some help with this code/ rough idling/ blue smoke issue

Truck ran totally fine before vac pump sheared off input shaft ears.

its never thrown a code or check engine in its life with 190k

it sat for about 2 months due to me starting a new job and not needing the truck for work

I started the truck a couple of time during that duration just for love until i pulled the vac/ps pump 2 weeks ago 

put it all back together and fired it up to have those symptoms listed above 

really need my rig back in order, got laid off due to the bs coronavirus and picked a couple houses to frame in the mean time

much appreciated 

Have you done any of the diagnostics for the code. It is pointing to the cam sensor and or the VP. The only times I have ever had blue smoke in mine is on cold morning, 20* or less, start ups since my grids are disconnected and with the failure of my 1st VP. If yours is OE iti s a prime candidate but not a sure thing.

Edited by dripley

ya im used to bluesmoke for maybe a min or so after first fire up, but im straight smoking out the neighborhood now

I havent really started that yet, im under the assumption it has to be something more obvious than that considering it ran fine even when i limped it home with no power steering or power brakes.  Im thinking it has to be something i could've knocked loose when i was replacing the pumps or along those lines

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Checking previous work is a good especially with the timing of the problem. 

nothing is jumping out as obvious so far tho, hoping someone has had a similar situation and resolved 

just took it for a drive

-starts right up

-tach works

-lack of some power

-bluesmoke still

-turbo whistle is more noticeable than normal

-idle around 850rpm think it was around 750 normally

-some occasional knocking sound

-code p1690 still present

Edited by joeld79

Those coincidental failures are more common than you might think. My VP crapped out and the MAP sensor went with it. Many other similar instances that I have seen here thru the years. Still running the oe cam sensor in mine. Its probably next.

Good to near you got it fixxed.

Edited by dripley