• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

350-400hp 24v Auto

Hi guys I’m new here so not very good at navigating yet but I’ll get the hang of it! So basically I’m starting this topic becuase I’m looking for a for some input and opinions. So about 8 months ago I bought an 01 24v auto I am the second owner and previous was in his 80s and took very good care of the truck but it’s come time that I’d like to start making modifications. I’ve done a fair bit of research and have some ideas and some knowledge on what I drive but more opinions are always great. As of right now my truck is bone stock minus a 4” exhaust. I’d like to build something in the neighborhood of 350-400hp. I already have a fuel pressure gauge and have pyro, boost and trans gauges ordered in the mail. Now in terms of adding power and fueling I’m not set on which lift pump to get for my desired hp. Suggestions? Will a BHAF be suffice for air intake? Also from what I’ve read and watched I’m thinking of a edge comp tuner and maybe RV275s? I would like to keep stock turbo for a while anyways As it was replaced just before purchase but I don’t want to fry it. Also I am very aware of needed to upgrade the transmission so I plan on doing that first of all I just have read so many different things that I’m very uncertain of what needs to be beefed up, obviously torque converter and valve body but what else and what should I get for those parts? I’m from Ontario Canada so not sure where to go for the trans but Any input and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Trans first.  TC and VB shoul go a long ways.

Any aftermarket lift pump will be fine for those goals.

7 x .010's and a quadzilla adr with a 57 mm SXE from DAP.  

Stock turbo won't do over 350 hp without egt issues.  

Rv275's are too small to hit that hp number without using a TON of duration and a ton of wiretap.  AKA smoke and heat.

7 x .010's and a good tune will run VERY nice and neve have egt issues provided you have the air.   

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

So if I went with the edge comp and 275s that I stated would that be past the threshold of the stock turbo? I don’t need over 350hp that’s just kind of my ballpark. This truck is by daily and Very occasionally hauls 6-8k. I just basically want the most I can out of the stock turbo (for now) thanks 

rv275's are too small for that HP goal in my mind.  You should run less duration ( lower level on the tuner), and more mechanical injection ( bigger injectors) to reach your goals.  

the hx35 is really tapped out at 350 hp.  

The very min I would go would be 7 x .009's and if you REALLY want to stick to the edge,run it on level 2 or 3.   

If you ran a quadzilla you can build your own tune to fit your needs and I would go to 7 x .010's with a mellow tune.  

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I’ve looked at the quad a fair bit and it’s a very nice product but it seems more advanced really than what I’d like in a tuner, I’m a fan of the edge comp and it’s simplicity and was really looking at it and the 275s and I can get them at a fair price. I guess maybe looking towards the 350hp goal isn’t the most accurate way to state what I would like to achieve but more so that I would like to get what I can out of a stock turbo as I’m trying to stay under somewhat of a budget on my build

I just fitted a mechanical lift pump for one reason.... I'm in the UK and I can fix a mechanical LP myself just by carrying a spare belt and a replacement front shaft seal, replacement electric LP would take nearer 10 days to get to me from USA.... no use if broke down on the side of the road, also removes another electric item as same goes for ECM, in fact call that 20 days before I get mine back if it was toasted and I posted to USA for repair, this has given me a little more peace of mind.

I also fitted a quad at the same time, my truck always ran ok but never felt right, can't really explain why just felt ragged, not smooth... just rough but not running rough if that makes any sense, mines an auto too and it never felt happy at any of our legal speeds, 3rd lockup didn't work well with our 30mph lower limit and 4 lockup didn't work well at our 60 and 70 mph limits, towing was even worse.

I put a  towing tune on it and towed my 5th on LVL 3 out of 14 I think, wow what a difference, it runs better, pulls better, lockup is better as it holds in LU much longer, I am aware I need to be careful or the trans will be done for, I run LVL 4 or 5 not towing and the truck is a pleasure to drive, mostly it will go down to 25 mph ish in 3rd LU with NO smoke at all, egts are just around 900 to 950 towing, I am babying it due to the trans but if you can stretch to a quad I'd say do it, must be really good if trans is up to it :broke:

If you are going to spend the money on a Comp, pony up a couple hundred more on the Quad. You wont be sorry. It is not just a plug and play tuner, there are things to learn about it but you can move up from there more easily with the Quad if you want. Wish it had been available when l bought my Comp.

Thanks for all the replies, after this feedback I’m definitely going to consider the quad a lot more and look into it more. Now I’m in need of some help regarding what to do with my trans to support the power, I know I’m going to need a better tc and vb but what else if anything, where to get parts or a build from as I’m in northern Ontario Canada and have no local shops, also what kind of price would be reasonable for the trans 

• Owner

Give you an idea. 

First off my transmission was rebuilt back at 235k miles roughly. The countershaft 5th gear was replaced (larger of the two). Now at 350k miles last summer (2019) I was cruising the I84 heading west towards Ontario, OR and managed to tear the teeth off the weaker small 5th gear and eat both gear faces. 

NOTE: I've never had a 5th gear nut issues EVER! 410k miles and rolling...

Image result for mopar1973man 5th gear

So make sure to upgrade all your weakest links. Also design in a way to release torque so the driveline doesn't get abused too bad. This is why I've dropped 265's stock tires to 245's stock tire this changes the final ratio to the ground to 3.69 which is my design release being the tires can't hold the full 47 PSI of boost so the tires will spin free. Then the lower gearing with smaller tires makes it super easy to get up to road speed quickly. 

Here is my long list of all my mods... 4 pages and growing...

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/vehicle/101-2002-dodge-ram-2500/?show=mods

Edited by Mopar1973Man

So I just went and looked at the parts truck. My uncle owns it so I know it’s had a pretty hard life as it hauled equipment a lot and was a plow truck. Hasn’t been on the road in about a year and a half, Besides that the basic info is that it has 425000km and the vp44 and trans were swapped around 300k. Everything is bone stock. Motor has no blow by. No salvageable body parts but drive train wise it’s very solid. My main goal is to pull the trans, motor and axles out and scrap the rest. I’d like to have the motor for the spare turbo and vp44 and going to use the trans to build up to swap into my truck. What would be a fair price to pay for a truck like this? He said he’d give me it for $1200 Canadian and would also give me a parts 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l gas for that price. Is anything on the 1500 worth my time and does this sound like a decent deal? Thanks