• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Built 47re 2-3 Bind Up Help

48 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

Those are bone stock line pressure numbers. So, we're dealing with a stock valve body with a couple of Sonnax valves in it. It completely blows my mind how little some transmission shops actually know about how this stuff actually works.

Damn... so where do I go from here with it? 

Edited by Reaper22

12 hours ago, Evan said:

Isnt 122 alittle more pressure than stock. And about 50s at idle

Also noticed TC lock in 3 and 4 is different.

Should it be?

No, just a stock spring that's probably wound up a bunch, which can also be problematic. Most likely this guy's version of  a "high performance" setup.

It's not uncommon to have 3rd and 4th be a little different, especially with a 47RE

• Like 1

Depends upon a lot of factors, not the least of which being pump volume. By the time you get the 3 clutches on, pressure on both sides of the intermediate servo, and the converter locked, a 47RE pump is up near its capacity, especially if there are excessive losses in the system, and/or excessive clearances in the pump.

• Staff

Line pressure in my @Dynamic rebuilt transmission.

Air temp 91°F  Transmission fluid temp 165°-190°F

Line pressure, transmission in drive :  no throttle  stopped   85 PSI       

light throttle  2ed gear 105 PSI

light throttle  3ed gear  110 PSI

light throttle  4th gear   120 PSI @ 2200 RPM

W/O throttle  1-2 shift   180 PSI @ 2800 RPM

W/O throttle  2-3 shift   175 PSI @ 3100 RPM 

W/O throttle  3-4 shift   150 PSI  

W/O throttle  4-3 shift  150 PSI  

100% throttle 4th gear TCC locked @ 70 MPH 160 PSI

0% throttle 3ed or 4th gear TCC locked down hill slowing 100PSI

reverse gear stall test 330 PSI

37 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

Depends upon a lot of factors, not the least of which being pump volume. By the time you get the 3 clutches on, pressure on both sides of the intermediate servo, and the converter locked, a 47RE pump is up near its capacity, especially if there are excessive losses in the system, and/or excessive clearances in the pump.

So are you telling me I’m screwed here with a $5500 boat anchor in my truck that doesn’t work right? The pump is new, is there a way to test the output of it through any of the test ports on the trans? It would likely be almost $600 just to ship it to you and back so that’s not really an option and from what you’re telling me most trans shops aren’t worth **** for getting this thing right so do I have to tear into this thing myself and check clearances or what. 

I think worst case scenario you might need some valve body work. I'd love to get Dynamic to work mine over, I had a local shop do mine and they did a terrible job. Gave it to me with the pressure turned down way too far among a lot of other issues. I turned the pressure up and made it work. If I was you I'd do some reading on pressure adjustments and increase it until you're happy, and go from there. I have a bit of a 2nd to 3rd bind at the moment as well. I ended up tightening up the TV cable a little bit and it helped a little, but I'm probably going to loosen the 2nd gear band half a turn first to see if it helps. I'm using the TCS Products kit as well.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:11 AM, Reaper22 said:

So are you telling me I’m screwed here with a $5500 boat anchor in my truck that doesn’t work right? The pump is new, is there a way to test the output of it through any of the test ports on the trans? It would likely be almost $600 just to ship it to you and back so that’s not really an option and from what you’re telling me most trans shops aren’t worth **** for getting this thing right so do I have to tear into this thing myself and check clearances or what. 

There are good shops 

Dynamic happens to be one that's computer savvy. 

There builders youl never hear of in your area maybe even working out of they're garage. 

Look towards small shops race car guys. Sled pulls

On 3/20/2020 at 8:11 AM, Reaper22 said:

Not necessarily. I'm just telling you that someone didn't setup the transmission correctly. Assuming that the direct clutch clearance is in a usable range, it can probably be fixed by reworking the valve body and intermediate servo.

I'm not trying to make blanket statements about all transmission shops. What I AM saying is that modding a 47RE/48RE transmission is a LOT more than just jacking up the pressures. That's a part of it, but even within that, there are good ways to do it, and not so good ways of doing it, and ways of shaping the pressure curve to better suit the needs of the diesel engine that, quite honestly, the average bench build guy at the local shop will not understand. They can follow "shift kit" instructions, and that's where most local shop builders stop. Unfortunately, you didn't even get that. They just threw some Sonnax valves in it and sent it down the road. That is unfortunate...

• Like 2

I'll agree with that. I had a local shop build my valve body before doing my own research. I thought I would put my faith in a local "professional". I won't get into details but my valve body is a POS. If I every have disposable income again I'll have it dealt with.

I’m in the same situation, I had my trans rebuilt while on a road trip last year, (crapped out along the interstate in Kansas) rebuilt at a corner mom and pop trans shop in mid town America, It’s working fine for now but in order to hold up to my abuse it’s going to have to have someone that I can trust tune and modify it. But it did come with a genuine mass produced rebuilt single disk billet converter and sonnax valve body kit.  Woohoo.  

@Reaper22 I also have the TCS 4.2 lever and have been experiencing a 2-3 bind in certain situations, no doubt due to a poorly calibrated valve body. When I set my band, I used the factory procedure. Today I decided to loosen the front band adjustment about half a turn, and it made a huge difference. It is now pretty much gone. I locked the trans in second gear and tried to make it slip, just in case the band was too loose, but it seems to hold as good as before. Of course a properly calibrated valve body is best, but this worked for me, and will hopefully hold up strong until I feel it appropriate to spend money on a valve body. Your experience may vary, be careful.