• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re temps in traffic

My Derale pan was an excellent purchase, and I immediately saw cooler temps when reading from the pan. I've read some arguments that using a stiffer pan can lead to damage to the case if the pan is hit by an object. I'd rather be replacing a pan than cracking a case. The purpose of the pan is not to be a structural aid; it's to provide a larger reserve of cooler oil. The extra structural support might be beneficial, but in my opinion, just a side effect that isn't necessary.

2 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

A "side effect" that isn't necessary? I could show you much evidence to the contrary...

Fair enough. But wouldn't you agree that these pans are mostly marketed based on their ability to hold extra oil and provide extra cooling? I don't see a surplus of factory sized pans that are produced for the sole purpose of stiffening the case. I've never heard of anyone shopping for a pan for this reason alone. I also recognize that you have much more experience on the subject. I just wouldn't brand bash a fully functional, reasonably priced product without a better reason; for example, if it didn't do what it was advertised to do. Which it does. 

I "brand bash" Derale pans because they are flimsy, made of thin gauge metal, and I've had issues with them leaking, not because they don't strengthen the case. I simply don't like them, and won't use or recommend them. Feel free to endorse whichever pan you choose, but to say that the strengthening effect of a well built aluminum pan is a "side effect that isn't necessary" is not accurate.

Most deep aluminum pans do use their extra capacity in their marketing (as would I if I were in marketing), but you can buy stock depth pans aluminum pans as well. What would be the purpose of that if it weren't to strengthen the case? Believe me, the strength gained from adding an aluminum pan is significant. But, what do I know...?

• Like 2

That's all fine and good if that's what you're looking for. But, again, there's a different school of though (right or wrong) that says a strengthened pan may contribute to a cracked case if it's struck by an object, because the pan won't "give way" if that makes sense. I guess it depends on your goals, and if your case needs strengthening. It's also possible that a case may have hairline cracks go undetected, and may fail later on if a strengthened pan is not used. Who knows. As long as people get what they want, all is well. Me personally? I just wanted cooler oil and more of it. 

• Owner

Like myself I just reduced the rolling resistance and don't need a deeper pan, or strengthening. My little 46RE @Dynamic built it 4 or 5 years ago. Since I swapped up tires to 215's on the 1996 Dodge 1500 now this little truck has some pretty low transmission temp even on the hot line. Typically float about 140*F. 

The only time I seen high temps was towing up a residential 8% to 12% grade to public lands to ride my ATV. Then we got it up in the 230 to 240*F realm. Speed limit is 15 MPH up this road. Can't get lock up so it was on the torque converter till I got parked just past start of forestry. I left the truck in neutral and idling and the temp fell off quickly after eating half a sandwich. Then shut down the engine. This only happened once...

I plan on changing the ATF+4 and the filter really soon. 

This is where a manual transmission shines. Because there is no slipping or torque converter to heat up. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

You can set your truck up however you want. I literally could not care less. But just don't tell me that the information that I share with these guys is incorrect simply because you think I'm "brand bashing" the pan you own. I happen to have very good reasons for everything I share on here, including my opinion on the quality of a Derale pan. You are certainly welcome to have and share your own opinion. If you're constantly beating your pan against rocks and debris, then maybe you do want a flimsy pan...or maybe a skid plate.

I see between 200 and 250 of these transmissions every year (and have for a couple of decades), and I can't remember the last time I saw one come in with a pan that had been bashed in by rocks or debris. So, to me, needing a pan that is a sacrificial lamb for a rock-to-the-pan scenario is not even on my radar. But, I could tell you stories of broken valve bodies and cracked cases due to case flex, and of torsional rigidity issues that were indeed solved by using much more rigid aluminum pans. I use pans to hold oil and to strengthen cases. If the deeper pans that I use happen to drop the operating temperature of a transmission, then great. But if I need more cooling for some reason, I will address the cooling system.

I think goerend is mid pan.

The ppe like I use is what guys call a double deep.

Over years I've never hit a rock or tree with my pan. Closest I cam to do any damage ws when a Buick skylark kinda side swiped me and drove under my rear axle.

I do really like my ppe pan I did lots of reading and had to have it. It is a damn solid unit.