• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

another 47re question

Hi all, I have what I believe is a 47re trans. question, so I'm a new owner of this truck and I'm admitting I'm more than a little nieve when it comes to transmissions. Anyhow, the truck seems to run pretty good and has a "built" trans. as in shift kit, beefed up torque conv. etc.. The prior owner said you have to kinda power brake it when it's cold or it dies when shifted into gear, said it had something to do with stall or? Well sure enough every time it sits overnight I have to go through the same ritual and then the rest of the day it does fine, idles fine, @750ish? Runs great,shifts great I've tried letting it sit and warm up for quite a while, but no, same thing like torque conv. locked up until it's revved a little in gear. I've tried letting it sit and warm up in neutral, tried pushing t.c.lock up button, no and nope? After going through the ritual I can shift into gear normally without insident. I have receipt for trans work so I decided to give them a call to see if this was in fact "normal" the guy I spoke with said it wasn't and never herd of such a thing! Maybe he's never herd of google? Because I'm coming up with page after page of people asking the same exact question! Some say it's normal some don't, really can't get any consistent answers. The trans shop guy said they don't mess with the stall and told me that they'd have to look at it, but it's like 300mi away, so....

I really don't want to take to tranny shop if I don't have to, but? Any educated ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Thanks Evan! I'll give that a try, I did try a while ago for a few minutes in neutral with no luck, maybe needs more time? I just have to hold the brakes and throttle up and keep it at around 1000 rpm' s for a couple seconds in gear, so I don't see how that's super heating anything? Just seems to be unsticking or unplugging something, getting something flowing? then drive off and everything's normal.

I'm starting to hear this IS normal for a dodge t.d.?

Thanks again!

What "shift kit" was used? What is the stall speed of the torque converter?

VP44 trucks are notorious for not being able to fuel the engine quickly enough to catch the load of a converter with too low of a stall speed when cold. Plus, depending upon which "shift kit" was used (I'd guess Transgo if it was done by the corner transmission shop), there are a couple of things that can make it worse.

• Like 2

Thanks for responding dynamic, so when I called freeman creek trans shop in orofino id , (heard of them?) Supposedly a popular builder in area, I asked if this was a normal/known issue he said no to both as if the whole issue had never been raised before, and then asked me for the name of the guy I purchased truck from and said he didn't know him, (very small town)  Anyhow, with my limited knowledge, basically none) I asked him about the stall and the shift kit, he said he generally keeps stall at oem stock, other than that he would have to examine truck for further diagnosis, he did give me the name of a shop here in Boise area that he trusted and when I talked to them and explained issue he said there might be a defective valve in a line? I may quiz him more or just let him service? He didn't seem to think it was catastrophic.

My receipt doesn't list brand names of parts used, if it would help I could probably find out.

I'm almost starting to lean towards a fuel issue and do have plans to get rid of that pathetic Carter pump but also don't want to blindly throw parts and MORE money at it.

Also interesting how some say this IS normal?!

Thanks again!

I do believe if the VP was starved of fuel enough that putting it into gear killed the engine that the VP would have already crapped the bed. The VP is heavily reliant on fuel for lubrication and cooling. Upgrading from the carter is highly recomended just for the VP's sake. Do have a fuel pressure gauge?

But i would add to this that manual trans trucks do have anti stall programing in the ECM that adds fuel when the idle starts to drop when the clutch is engaging and autos don't have this feature.  Seems it would be good to have for this situation.

• Like 1

DAP sells up to 350hp injectors. How much bigger they get I dont know. I run RV275's at about 30 over on the HO engine and have run 50's. The 50's and the comp are very smokey for my taste so I went back to rv's. I you want to go bigger later do NOT get a comp, go for the quad.

I wiil have to leave the other quetion to @Evan.

Thanks Dripley, as far as the comp box setup I was just going off the advice of a local 20+ yr diesel mechanic that is a bit of a legend around here that also owns and builds cummins for pro competition pulls and drags & such. After explaining to him I wanted to use for occasional towing, and he says that will be the one to give 15+ yrs of trouble free service .

But I'm certainly willing to hear from people who have experience with also .

Thanks!

There should be another turbo you could put on to help clear the smoke. Thats out of my realm of knowledge. My hx is not up to it. Not bad on the rv's but the 50's were smokier. Still cleared it up but took a bit longer. Me I dont like smoke. The Quad is more complicated than the Comp. But plenty of help to work that part out. You just have to be willing to learn. Still on my Comp for now.

I definiely would not consider 50's as large injectors, bigger than stock, yes, but not large.

13 hours ago, Evan said:

I dont think you've got enough fuel to stall 

This is the statement he did not understand. Me neither for that matter. But I know little about the autos.

I dont have stall ing issues with 100s and dont think many do. So I think 50 work without issue. 

My mind goes to maybe some thing be off in your trans compared to most

Did running idle work.

I'm in boise to

I'm wondering about TV cable stop and pressure off idle.

Is there alot of slack in tv cable at idle  truck not running theres a 3" sleeve you can pull away from bracket to be able see slack in cable on tranny end.

I can look at it and see if anything looks abnormal on the outside 

And toss  pressure gauge on it see pressure off I'd. 

I'm guessing it has higher pressure like 100psi plus off idle wich is good but may stall the motor when dropped in gear.

Does it down shift well when on the brakes coming to light?