• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

another 47re question

Thanks Evan, yeah personally this thing is completely alien to me and I know zero about auto trans in general. If you could peek at it that would be awesome! Or I could probably be walked through what to look for as far as that cable?

I did notice this green vacuum looking line lying on top of trans connected to nothing, probably nothing but?

Thanks again!

20200317_141051.jpg

20200317_141024.jpg

BTW, no problems whatsoever with shifting once truck get moving.

I haven't paid attention to the rpm's just know nothing seems unusual other than the first start of the day dying thing.

Do you recommend I take that sleeve off and look at that cable? Just not sure of procedure or what I'm looking at.

I do know my way around a vehicle but most my tools are geared towards the autobody industry I was in for 30yrs.

I live around the airport area, maybe p.m me if serious about looking at, but don't feel obliged especially with viris scare, this thing can wait, your call.

Thanks again!

The tv cable comes over the pulls tv lever to rear Has a plastic sleeve over the end that looks liking a writing pen body. It will pull off towards the motor with no tools.  Doing this will allow you to see and feel freeplay.

Tube may aslo already be loose

This is on drivers side pretty much under driver seat 

Technically it shouldn't have alot of free play. 

The procedure to djust this cable is checking it at wide open throttle with converter locked in 3rd. Rpm when it makes the shift at wide open throttle should be 2800-3000.

Tightening the cable will make it shift higher rpm looser lower.

Theres is tv stop inside the tranny to set minimum pressure off idle  this is what I I am curious about.  

Sounds like something I need to have a trans shop do? How would one measure that pressure?

Anyhow, the throttle and TV cable have similar slack in them, maybe both a little loose? Not sure what that upper inner cable is, that one is super slack. Cruise control?

Thanks Evan!

Edited by dieseldon
clairity

No we can read pressure off the accumulator port in the the transmission.

I'll have to make up another gauge. Th he last one exploded in my cab when trans pressure broke 200psi. It's only 165 ish now.

Alittle bit ok slack in cable is okay. 

Would Wednesday work sometime after 5

That would be awesome! Wednesday works for me , let me know if you want me to come to you or would you rather see what's happening when cold?

On a other note I got confused on that cable and checked from topside, will look again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Hi Evan, so I just had a crazy experience.

I didn't realize I needed to check trans fluid level in neutral so I decided to recheck while cold this morning. After idling approx 5min I check and nothing on dip stick! What the?? So I drove around block and check again, normal level! I call trans shop and ask about, they tell me that's impossible, you can't make trans fluid from nothing, I say maybe true but that IS what happened, Them; no it didn't!

Who's crazy in this scenario?? Any thoughts?

BTW let me know if you need me to get a new gauge or anything else you need.

Thanks!

Another thing, I checked that tv cable at trans and did seem slack to me, but compared to what?

Just got off phone with transgo to see if they could give pressure values on that, he said they can't without knowing kit# which I don't know. Described problem and he seemed confident there can only be two issues, restriction in cooling line or bad pressure valve. He did kinda give instructions on how to bypass cooler lines to eliminate that, so??

I've never heard of Freeman Creek Transmission in Orofino, and I'm only a couple of hours from there. Oh well, I don't know everyone.

Pressure is not going to stall the truck when you put it into gear, nor is a TV cable being out of adjustment. Set the TV cable for a 2900 rpm WOT 1-2 shift, and then leave it alone. And for the love of all that's holy, don't mess with the TV stop. That is set to a specific spec, and is not something to adjust.

Your engine is seeing a load large enough to pull the engine rpm down faster then the fuel system can fuel it to stabilize the idle. About the only things that the transmission could do to cause that would be a stall speed that's too low, or something wrong with the converter; incorrectly assembled, failed stator sprag, sprag in backwards...something like that. A converter issue will typically be worse when cold because the fluid is thicker. I would love to know what converter part number they used.

But, there's also the chance that the issue lies elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for info, however since I have absolutely no idea how to do that, probably won't be messing with, sounds like it has nothing to do with stalling anyhow? The only thing I know about tv cable is how Haynes manual describes the1/32 end to end thing?

So you wouldn't suggest bypassing trans cooler as suggested by transgo?

The owner at freeman creek says he works on tons of dodges in area and has never heard of the issue I'm having, curious if you or anyone else has or am I an enigma?? As far as converter used, I didn't get a part# but he said it's a transtar billit triple disk, transgo diesel shift kit, sensors, sungear? So don't know if that tells you what you're wondering?

Thanks for trying to help figure out!

I've seen this issue many times, and it almost always has to do with too tight of a converter.

I kind of figured they were using Transtar converters and Transgo kits, which tells me really all I need to know. I'm not trying to beat up on them necessarily, but I do deal with "local shop" builds a lot. It would be helpful to know what part number of converter they used. If they used an S4 or an S5, that's too tight of a converter. Believe me, I've been through the wars with those Transtar converters way back in the day, which is why I will only use specialty converter builders now.

• Like 1

So it turns out transtar operates right here out of boise so I call and quiz them, he called it a cascade low stall converter, (not enough to stall motor) he says best bet is to scan it and check lockup solenoid. Probably my next move after quarantine jazz and assuming we're all still alive!

Thanks, stay healthy!