• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which way to adjust rear drum brakes.

• Staff

I think I have this correct but something didn't feel right in the left rear wheel. From the backing plate under the truck and through the adjustment opening I would turn the star wheel upwards correct? Because the adjuster lever on the inside of the drum would push it down to make an adjustment. Is this correct? I googled images but some of the ones I saw didn't say what year the truck was so I thought I would ask.

23 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

I think I have this correct but something didn't feel right in the left rear wheel. From the backing plate under the truck and through the adjustment opening I would turn the star wheel upwards correct? Because the adjuster lever on the inside of the drum would push it down to make an adjustment. Is this correct? I googled images but some of the ones I saw didn't say what year the truck was so I thought I would ask.

I just did the brakes on my rear of my HHR and I think they all work the same and lifting the BRAKE SPOON UP will tighten the the shoes on both sides.  I will be doing the Dodge in a few months.

• Staff

I adjusted mine about two weeks ago.  The end of the adjusting spoon in contact with the adjusting  wheel, on either the left or right side, needs to go up ↑.  Now, facing towards the front of the car the adjusting wheel on the left will turn counter-clockwise ↶  and the adjusting wheel on the right side will turn clockwise ↷.