• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

Yeah they very good for sure, but I like having a prefilter set up on the system. I think it's important from what I have read in the past anyway. You can't have a prefilter on the mechanical pumps if I'm not mistaken.

49 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

An Air Dog goes out and you get a free one sent to you. It's a good deal that way. Rich guys on here go for the mechanical pumps they the best, 

I’m far from Rich and have a mechanical pump, when all said and done it’s about the same price as the air dog or fass set up, 

21 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

You can't have a prefilter on the mechanical pumps if I'm not mistaken.

The mechanical uses a pre-strainer, 26 micron I believe 

• Staff
8 hours ago, dripley said:

If you do want the prefilters like an the AD and FASS thats when the mechanical gets expensive unless you have a cheap source for the filter heads. 

Please explain, but please don't bauck at me my wife does that enough.

• Staff

Here's a photo of my injection pump.   It is a replacement remanufactured pump purchased from @dieselautopower and installed 8/25/17 by me and @Mopar1973Man in Riggins, ID.  The truck had about 97,000 MI on it.  Some rebuilders use tape/label, some use paint and some use both.  You can see the yellow anti-tampering paint on the screw head like yours has on it.  Yes, I'm still using banjo fittings from the filter to the pump.

IMG_6995.JPG.ccdab2f42c33af4716f3ff633e210525.JPG

• Staff

So @IBMobile, you think it could have possibly been replaced? 

I've been getting mixed opinions, it's not a huge deal either way. If it has been replaced I don't believe it was that long ago which tells me it will last that much longer is all. A VP is a pretty big expense so if it had been replaced it more of a piece of mind.

Your pump has been replaced.   There should be a tattle tale tape saying warranty void if removed on the connector where I circled.   Yours is missing.  your warranty is void. :duh:

image.png.0516d6a9214feafec9028f996eef434a.png

I know my brother's 2001 had it.

GL

Hag

I too wonder about my VP44. I'm assuming mine is the original pump, I don't see any yellow tamper indicator paint on any of the fasteners, although the yellow void sticker is there but ripped. My truck had around 211k when I purchased it in 2013. The first thing I did was install a fuel boss mech fuel pump and big line kit.  Now I'm at 232k, no pump issues so far.  @Mopar1973Man mentioned expect Vp44's to last 250k average. So I guess that makes me a bit nervous if my truck has the original Vp44

Regardless I am at least certain that it's the correct VP44 for my truck HO 245 HP / 6 speed.

The numbers on my VP44  pump end in 28, which means it's a multiple of 7 (14, 21 or 28) which is specific for the HO 245 HP.  Which transmission do you have? If you have a chance update your truck details in your signature.  Maybe check out this video to at least verify that you have the correct pump for your engine/trans. If it's not the correct pump for your engine / trans then at least you have a tell tail sign right there that it may have been changed.

• Like 1