• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torn between the two 6.7L's need opinions

So I'm in the market for a new truck and my question is that my neighbor runs a 2011 Cummins with around 200k miles BUT he takes very very good care of his truck (it is his office so I don't blame him) and he is willing to sell it too me for a decent price around $23k I also found a 2012 6.7 powerstroke with 60k miles and it's priced at 33k. I'm just not sure which truck is going to be the most reliable. I do tow a large boat for half the year and I have a 25' flatdeck trailer that I don't haul as much any more but still use occasionally. What would you guys go with?

Edited by SantiagoJaxson

• Staff

I would try to avoid the 07.5-12 6.7 Cummins for emissions reasons. Poor mileage, hard on the motor, etc. It’s also getting harder to delete. 

I also wouldn’t ever own a 6.7 Furd, but they are seeming to hold up. Hard to do any maintenance yourself though, as they really need the cab to come off for any decent motor work. 

If it were my money it would go towards a 14+ Cummins.  2500 vs 3500 will depend on use, and transmission desire. The frame/suspension is also greatly improved over the 03-12/13 frame/suspension. 

• 2 months later...

For the mileage difference in relation to the price I think I'd have to go with the Ford...If the $10k difference doesn't bother you.

Beyond that the other thing that will sway a person is their personal choice. Which truck do you like more? Are they both optioned the same?

Regards, 9apps app

cartoonhd

Edited by noniaunty4

• Owner

I look at the fact of any Ford you buy its going require a two post lift to do any engine work. Most people don't own a two post lift and do not have the desire to work on Ford Diesels. I've worked on a few of the newer Fords diesel for simple things like an alternator turns into a challenge because of the amount of stuff crammed under the hood. Ford trucks are not easy to work on being most of the engine is buried in tubes, and other devices so bad you can see the valve covers. Simple tasks like changing a thermostat or valve cover gasket always turns into something more (removal wise).

Working on 4th Gens are no fun either but way better than the Ford. You can get to the injectors fairly easy. Just like the Inctors on a CR engine are roughly $4,000 for a set of good quality new injectors. About 2 to 3 hours to do injectors being the amount of stuff to remove and access the valve cover to do injectors. I will admit with a good tune the 4th gen can produce serious power, then stack in upgraded injectors you can be in the 700 HP range pretty quick.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Everytime MoparMan speaks the whole used truck market is affected........ :thumb1:. If it were me I would look for a low miles second gen Cummins/ Dodge and get it bullet proofed using the articles in the second gen section, but that's just me as a lot of people really like the latest styling and features.