• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have heard stories about peopl putting a stick in your tank to check for red dyed fuel.So last night I was out by the truck and had a small stick and decided to see if someone could put a stick down inside to the fuel level.It can't be done on my truck. However I did go get a flexable piece of plastic line and it will go down to the fuel, but there is not enough on the line to tell.So that would tell me if they do poke your tank they have to use a tube and collect a sample of fuel.No Stick! Truth in doing.

• Owner

Far easier way to do it... Open the hood and open the water drain on the fuel filter and get a sample... As for dipping the actual tank... post-2-138698169201_thumb.jpg So after you drop below the 1/2 mark there is no fill in the filler neck and since the rollover valve prevents access to the fuel any deeper you'll have to get a sample from the fuel filter housing.

Well they can try to fine me for something I didn't do. I don't see how that would last in a court.So is it ilegal to modify your own product! Millions of harleys are running around with illegal pipes, and the law turns a blind eye.If they ever stop me and want permision to check i will say no even if im doing nothing wrong.I hate the government and everything in it.If adding two cycle oil to my fuel is ilegal then so is all the stuff they sell to add, including the stuff for cars.No differnence. Let them try to do something I would consider that a threat against me and I know what the laws are for self defense.End of my ranting

Well they can try to fine me for something I didn't do. I don't see how that would last in a court. So is it ilegal to modify your own product! Millions of harleys are running around with illegal pipes, and the law turns a blind eye. If they ever stop me and want permision to check i will say no even if im doing nothing wrong. I hate the government and everything in it. If adding two cycle oil to my fuel is ilegal then so is all the stuff they sell to add, including the stuff for cars. No differnence. Let them try to do something I would consider that a threat against me and I know what the laws are for self defense. End of my ranting

Awesome rant! A lot of good points!

• Owner

Well they can try to fine me for something I didn't do. I don't see how that would last in a court. So is it ilegal to modify your own product! Millions of harleys are running around with illegal pipes, and the law turns a blind eye. If they ever stop me and want permision to check i will say no even if im doing nothing wrong. I hate the government and everything in it. If adding two cycle oil to my fuel is ilegal then so is all the stuff they sell to add, including the stuff for cars. No differnence. Let them try to do something I would consider that a threat against me and I know what the laws are for self defense. End of my ranting

Awesome rant! A lot of good points!

It was a good rant...:thumbup2:

I think it's more just a way to keep people from dumping bad things into their tanks. We know there is nothing wrong with 2 stroke in there but the government has never tested it to prove it. Regular additives are sent off and tested and the government says ok, you can run this. There are a lot of people dumping anything but water into their tanks that does do a lot of bad with smog and everything. I used to dump waste motor oil in my ford and it would smog the road up the entire time I drove it. Now lets say everyone did that, now what would the air be like? Now you see why all these additives are filled with acetone or something that ignites and has no chance of burning incompletely. 2 stroke probably has a little bit of emissions I would imagine, I mean look at my dirt bike.. all 2 strokes smoke a little bit, so I doubt the gov. would ever make it legal for millions of people to dump in their trucks.

• Owner

But like with any additive store bought or homebrew if used wrong they all will create smog or smoke of some kind. Like I know if I add too much 2 cycle oil 100:1 (or lower ratio) I see a tint of grey tint to the exhaust smoke but if you lighten the dose and keep up above 128:1 ratio it seem fine... Now like with Power Service (back in the day) I use to guess at the amount. Well one time I ran a half a bottle just to see if there was improvement or anything. Well even for a stock truck it would smoke slightly. So I can see it being part of the solution but not the full answer... The rest of the answer lies in the hands of the consumer/owner of the vehicle to use said products properly. :2cents:

My daughter got checked for red fuel (didn't find any). The fine for NOT allowing anyone to check is $1000 here in Minnesota. If by chance you get caught with red fuel the fine is $1000 or $100 per gallon capacity of the tank which ever is higher. You don't really want to tell them they can't dip your tank.

My daughter got checked for red fuel (didn't find any). The fine for NOT allowing anyone to check is $1000 here in Minnesota. If by chance you get caught with red fuel the fine is $1000 or $100 per gallon capacity of the tank which ever is higher. You don't really want to tell them they can't dip your tank.

This is not always the case. In Colorado and most States for that instance you are guilty until you prove your innocence in traffic court. Most states also have no right to discovery at the traffic court level. Therefore if you want to fight a case such as these you have to appeal your case to a higher court system. Personally I see them saying pop your hood or you are getting fined $1000 as being an illegal search and menacing.

So by the standards they use, probable cause is exempt because you drive a diesel powered truck!I remember when they just quit selling red dyed fuel in California years ago and you can only get it from dealers that deliver the stuff.When that happened I was really lacking in knowledge to understand what they were even doing.I wonder how many diesel powered cars, and vans run red dyed fuel around the country, and if they ever stop and check them or just assume they don't use it.HMmmmmm

Where I am at, you can fill up 5 gal. jugs and tell them it is for off road use. You have to put your name and address down and say what it is used for. You get charged without the tax and it comes out of the same pump. I can burn thru 5 gal. of diesel in 4 hours of spraying. So, that is how you solve the "red" dye diesel here if you get what I am saying! LOL

• Owner

There are a couple stations here locally that after hours still allow the dyed pumps to turn on with credit cards and I know of many people who fuel up that way.............Some people have no conscience.:cookoo:

Like I had ISX do the math on his local red dye and on-highway fuels from what I remember him saying it was about a $3 dollar saving over a 35 gallon tank which make it buy 34 gallons get 1 gallon free... So is it really worth taking the risk for 1 free gallon of fuel (16-18 more miles)?

It's actually more savings than that. I just used the prices of red and clear here. Shows how much you save with one fillup, 10 fillups, and how long it would take to offset the cost of a ticket based on $1000 or $100 per gallon.

Posted Image