• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No key on power to fuel pump

I have a 99 dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins
I recently had the return line on the stock fuel pump rust off so I replaced it with a precision fuel pump part number 30060 from oriellys And ever since I installed that pump I have no power to my fuel pump. I looked on the oriellys website and it said the pump is for trucks converted to an intank pump and I'm still running a raptor 100gph transfer pump and I'm wondering if that would cause it to not have to power to my fuel pump? The truck will still start and idle off of my transfer pump but I only see 5 pounds on initial start up then drops to 1 pounds of fuel pressure after idling for about 10 seconds.

I have the orielly fuel pump plugged into the stock wire harness going to the top of the tank and yes the raptor transfer pump is still connected the truck will start and idle off of my transfer pump which I can hear turn on and off and when I bump the starter my raptor pump will kick on like normal but I get nothing out of the fuel pump in the tank

Unless some wiring mods have been done both wont run together. Sounds like your Raptor is being controlled by the ECM and your in tank pump is not. 

How long have you owned this truck? Sounds like a previous owner, po, has done some mods to the truck.

The oe lift/transfer pump had no return line to rust off was the first sign for me. 

Edited by dripley

I bought the truck from my dad and he was the original owner and the only upgrades I did to the truck was the raptor transfer pump because the Carter pump was only giving me 7 pounds of pressure. The line that rusted off is the return line located on the fuel pump on top of the tank that's the only reason I put the precision fuel pump in. I've tried 3 different persion pumps with all the same problem not getting power to the pump the fuel gauge still registered on all 3 pumps just no power to it. I've taken it to the dodge dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad pcm and wanted 3 grand to fix it. I bought a new one online and the truck still did the exact same thing thats when I found out about the persion pump is a intank replacement and I thought that it might just not have enough power supply to run poth pumps. 

If I’m reading this right ,
Sounds like your raptor 100 is trying to pull fuel out of the in tank pump, I believe the raptor installation call for removing the in tank pump if it had one. That could be why your getting the 5 psi, out of the raptor. To much restriction trying to suck through existing in tank pump.

I don’t know how your raptor is wired but it’s possible the raptor is running off the ecm with original fuel pump wiring and leaving your in tank pump wire harness dead, just a guess though, might need more search into that 

Edited by 01cummins4ever
  • Like 1

This raptor pump is designed to be a factory replacement for the Carter pump and it plugs into the factory harness the only modification it required was putting a big fuel line kit from the raptor pump forward. The truck ran great with the original fuel pump and the raptor with a steady 17 psi. I'll try bypassing the transfer pump and see if it gives power to the fuel pump thank you for the quick response.

It does sound like you are running 2 fuel pumps at once. I had this set up many years ago. An in tank pump and a booster pump on the frame rails. The intank pump ran off of the stock wiring harness. The booster pump ran off of a oil pressure switch tapped into the engine block. The intank was controlled and worked as the factory pump should have but the booster pump only ran with oil pressure, IE the engine was running. 

I just reread your last post. And FYI both of these pumps are transfer/lift pumps. They perform the same task which is supplying fuel to the injection pump. You cannot expect them to be both ECM controlled unless you do some wiring mods. You really only need one lift pump. It is not normal to have 2. I did have 2 for a while but you need to get down to one reliable pump. The intank pump is not a reliable pump and you just need to ditch it. The Raptor is marginal though some here do use them and have had success with them. You need a reliable fuel supply system, either an AD?\FASS system or a mechanical system. Yours for lack of better term is cobbled together just like the one I used to have.

• Like 1

I do plan upgrading to a one pump system in the future. If I had the money at the time this all happened I would have done it when I dropped the tank. My worry is if it something more serious like a wiring harness or an ecm  and nothing to do with the fuel pump itself and I buy a fass system doesnt that run off of the factory wire harness there fore i dont think that would fix my issue and i would still not have power to it unless they get power from a different source?  Electrical isn't my strong suite by any means either if you guys didnt already notice.

That's good to know I just call the intank pump a fuel pump and the pump on the block a transfer pump/lift pump so it's easier to tell the 2 pumps apart when I'm trying to explain all this but then again I could just call the 2 pumps by the brand name to

Another option is to just add a relay to the harness. Use the signal off the PCM to trigger the relay, and wire the fuel pumps to the output of the relay.  A relay rated to handle 20 amps should be enough to power both pumps, assuming a fuse is used 

20 minutes ago, Todd w said:

I do plan upgrading to a one pump system in the future

The future is now, if you are keeping this truck it's time to make it right now and not wait any longer. Not trying to be a :moon: but start reading everything you can on this forum about these trucks, there is so much to learn. 

Get a mechanical pump, like fuelboss or something similar skip the bs. Still need to redo entire fuel system though. 

Then do WT mod and pcm mod, make sure alternator is good and no access noise.

Good luck 

• Staff
2 hours ago, Todd w said:

I've taken it to the dodge dealer and they diagnosed it as a bad pcm and wanted 3 grand to fix it.

The ECM is what controls the lift pump from pins #15 and #35.  Most of the mechanics who work at the dealers don't have the experience on these older trucks to properly diagnose them.   Below are a few articles to help with what needs to be done.