• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost sensor location?

18 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I was just looking at it from Cummins engineer point of view. Would anyone torque their head bolt/stud to a different spec the the rest? That was my whole point. Don't mean to start a war here :stirthepot:

How do you get a boost reading if you put the boost bolt in place of a head bolt/stud?:stirthepot:

• Haha 1

Ok I finished setting up my gauges. I went with a couple of brass reducer bushings in the port as @Mopar1973Man suggested.

Took a highway ride, some gauge readings as follows. Please comment if anything out of norm? Truck is pretty much stock except for a fuel boss mech fuel pump.  6speed HO 245 hp.  4.10 final drive

WOT: Boost psi seemed to max out at 22psi. EGT maxed out around 1100f. I wasn't towing anything, on a highway fairly flat grade. Truck has a fairly heavy service body, which is unfortunately horribly anti-airo dynamic, pretty much akin to driving into the wind with a 4x8 flat sheet of plywood. 

Fuel pressure: approx 17psi at idle. Cruising at 65mph: approx 19psi? WOT fuel pressure 17-18 psi.  I'd like to mention that upon letting off the throttle, the fuel pressure went above 20psi a few times, just momentarily.

Trans temp was averaging between 160f - 170f. 

Hers is a quick you tube vid of my gauges and speedo/ tach crusing at 65mph: 

boost sensor and bushings.jpg

boost sensor installed.jpg

Edited by Ironforger
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

You need a niddle valve on your fuel guage line that is turned almost off to the point where your guage won't bounce around, or it'll kill it.  

Wtf is a "Niddle" valve?   Do you mean a needle valve?

Thanks I was wondering about that bouncing fuel gauge.

Edited by Ironforger
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yes, autocorrect at it's best

LOL I actually googled niddle.

@Dieselfuture  I see you are running 3.54's.  About how many rpms are you running  in 6th gear at 65mph?  and 5th gear at 65mph? I'm hoping to change out my 4.10's for 3.54's.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Ironforger said:

LOL I actually googled niddle.

@Dieselfuture  I see you are running 3.54's.  About how many rpms are you running  in 6th gear at 65mph?  and 5th gear at 65mph? I'm hoping to change out my 4.10's for 3.54's.

Thanks

I'll check tomorrow when I drive it again. I want to say 6th around 1800 

Thanks @Dieselfuture , good info. Nice to see low rpm's at highway speeds. Have you ever driven a 2nd gen NV5600 with 4.10's? I'm trying to find someone in my area with 3.54's so I can drive and see what it's like.  I have a feeling I'll be wanting some power increase mods once I switch to 3.54's :thumb1:

On another note, I ordered a 1/8npt male / female needle valve from zoro for my fuel pressure sensor. Expecting it today. I'll set it up tomorrow. Thanks again for the suggestion.

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-needle-valve-straight-brass-18-in-6mn31/i/G2268217/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ironforger said:

Have you ever driven a 2nd gen NV5600 with 4.10's? I'm trying to find someone in my area with 3.54's so I can drive and see what it's like.  I have a feeling I'll be wanting some power increase mods once I switch to 3.54's :thumb1:

I had a 12 valve with nv4500 and 4.10, I ended up putting 35" tires on it just so I could somewhat keep up with traffic on hwy. For what I use the truck, I like the 3.55, in a perfect world I'd take 3.73 with 285/70/17 just looks good and ratio should be where it needs to. 

On the other note I only averaged 15.5 mpg on the way to work today, little cold out 28 this morning and the way to work is all up Hill about 800 feet from where I live. So hopefully I'll get 20s on the way home to even it out. Yhea it doesn't take much for these trucks mpg to go down. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

On the other note I only averaged 15.5 mpg on the way to work today, little cold out 28 this morning and the way to work is all up Hill about 800 feet from where I live. So hopefully I'll get 20s on the way home to even it out. Yhea it doesn't take much for these trucks mpg to go down. 

So on the way to work i used almost 5 gallons on the way home just over 3, go figure.

Sorry for the derail...

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

So on the way to work i used almost 5 gallons on the way home just over 3, go figure.

Sorry for the derail...

Is that because your drive to work is uphill?

I installed that needle valve inline between the Tee and my fuel pressure sensor. Works great, thanks again for suggesting. Fuel pressure gauge is steady now. Caveat you were not kidding when you said it needs to be nearly closed to keep that fuel pressure gauge from bouncing! 

• Like 1