• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Remove pushed in bed

That was a hell of a jolt. Ripped the stack out of the bed and dumped it behind the axle :lmao:

Seriously that sucks. Least it could have done was hit the hitch. Probably would have saved the gate. I like DF's suggestion. You might have to pull it further than need be because it will want to spring back. I'd have a tape handy and measure each pull so you don't go too far. Reference off the straight side and go like a 1/4" at a time. I'd also park in gear next time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dave110 said:

That was a hell of a jolt. Ripped the stack out of the bed and dumped it behind the axle :lmao:

Seriously that sucks. Least it could have done was hit the hitch. Probably would have saved the gate. I like DF's suggestion. You might have to pull it further than need be because it will want to spring back. I'd have a tape handy and measure each pull so you don't go too far. Reference off the straight side and go like a 1/4" at a time. I'd also park in gear next time.

My only problem is that pillar on the left is bent in and I can’t figure out how to pull it out to get a new tailgate to go on straight 

• Staff

I've done it by attaching a come-along or a strong ratcheting strap to the offending area.  With the come-along/strap pulling I hit it with a 1-4 LB hammer with a block of wood between the metal and hammer.  You have to keep the tension on the metal with the strap as you work it.  

20 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I've done it by attaching a come-along or a strong ratcheting strap to the offending area.  With the come-along/strap pulling I hit it with a 1-4 LB hammer with a block of wood between the metal and hammer.  You have to keep the tension on the metal with the strap as you work it.  

I’ll have to try that thank you, where do you suggest i put the ratchet I have the tailgate off and bumper off put it to where the tail gate latches up too and pull while hitting it with a sledge and wood?

Edited by Voltronics

The mounting hardware on the tailgate is adjustable. I backed into a tree many years ago with the tailgate down. It pushed the bed in on the drivers side at the pivot point.

I found a replacement for sale and went to buy it. When l put it on the truck before buying the left side fit the bed but right side stuck out at the top an 1.5" or so. Told the guy l thought the tailgate was bent. It was then l remebered it was most likely my truck. Bought the tailgate, adjusted the hardware and it fits at top and mostly un noticable on botton left. 

Just food for thought in case you cant get it completely straight.

12 minutes ago, dripley said:

The mounting hardware on the tailgate is adjustable. I backed into a tree many years ago with the tailgate down. It pushed the bed in on the drivers side at the pivot point.

I found a replacement for sale and went to buy it. When l put it on the truck before buying the left side fit the bed but right side stuck out at the top an 1.5" or so. Told the guy l thought the tailgate was bent. It was then l remebered it was most likely my truck. Bought the tailgate, adjusted the hardware and it fits at top and mostly un noticable on botton left. 

Just food for thought in case you cant get it completely straight.

I didn’t know that thank you, my worry is trying to straighten the pillar on the driver side by the tail light the pillar is pushed on the inside but no visible crease or dent on the body on the outside. I need to straight this out to get the tailgate to go on somewhat straight just don’t know where to pull from 

24 minutes ago, Voltronics said:

I didn’t know that thank you, my worry is trying to straighten the pillar on the driver side by the tail light the pillar is pushed on the inside but no visible crease or dent on the body on the outside. I need to straight this out to get the tailgate to go on somewhat straight just don’t know where to pull from 

My pillar is bent a little. The pivot point took the brunt of the impact on the bed and the tailgate had a nice half moon in the top.

45 minutes ago, Voltronics said:

Fit a piece of oak to go in the stake pocket. Put a strap around it, come-along through the strap and other end to a tree or other solid object. Pull carefully and watch what happens, and like I said take measurements along the way. Bed sides are pretty flimsy when you look at them. Shouldn't take 50 ton to pull it.

• Like 1

• Staff

Does this need to be pulled in or out.  If out you can put a screw jack and 4 x 4 between the pillars to apply pressure while pounding on the offending part doing a little at a time so the jack and 4 x don't fall own or the good pillar gets bent.  I've used that come-along/strap/hammer method to straighten inner fenders on customer cars that had been damaged in front end accidents.    

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

Does this need to be pulled in or out.  If out you can put a screw jack and 4 x 4 between the pillars to apply pressure while pounding on the offending part doing a little at a time so the jack and 4 x don't fall own or the good pillar gets bent.  I've used that come-along/strap/hammer method to straighten inner fenders on customer cars that had been damaged in front end accidents.    

The pillar is twisted inwards towards the cab and would have to be turned out towards where the tailgate was

• 4 weeks later...