• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help Transmission Identification

Can someone please tell me what transmission I have? Trying to troubleshoot why I don't have overdrive. And well... Sure help to know.

All I know is that it's not the original transmission AND the previous owner (for whatever reason) put in a resistor (1kohm) between (looks like) the temperature wire and a ground.

Below are the numbers I found on the transmission. And thanks in advance for y'alls help. (First time forum post). 

Number above pan, driver side.
PK52118320 2016 3230
Number by gear box, passenger side.
283-2

Pic of pan

20200405_172426.jpg

Edited by 12ValveGal
Typos & add pic

• Owner

At least by 1996 was RE styled transmissions. My 1996 has a 46RE. That has to be either 47RH or 47RE

4 - How many forward gears

7 - Scale of 1 to 10 of how much torque it can take.

R - Rear wheel drive vehicle. 

E - Electronic Shift 4th Gear. 

-or-

H - Hydraulic Shift 4th Gear. 

Still all based on the original 727 Torqueflite transmission from the 60's. 

46RE's are used in the half ton trucks.

47RH or 47RE were used in all 3/4 ton and 1 tons. Majority is 47RE.

48RE came out in the 3rd Gen body. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Got another ID Question...

Is the A618 same as 47re?

Thanks in advance :-) 

The link below lists my PK number as being interchangeable and/or having the same name as the A618. And according to Google, the A618 was later renamed 47re. 

https://www.reman-transmission.com/1994-dodge-ram-3500-automatic-transmission-assembly-a618.html

When they added TCC lockup to the mix in 1994, they renamed it the A618, but that's not of much use, because there are a bunch of variations off of that.

ALL of the 4 speed automatics had "electronic" overdrive, and the '94-newer had "electronic" converter lockup. (I use the term "electronic" because there is much "electronics" involved. They both use a simple on/off solenoid to engage/disengage. There is no PWM.)

1994 and 1995 used the 47RH (hydraulic governor), and in 1996 they came out with the 47RE (electronic governor). There were a bunch of running changes, but they used the 47RE in the '96-newer 2nd Gen trucks, as well as the early 3rd Gen trucks. Somewhere in mid-2003 model year, they came out with the 48RE, which was used through '07.5 when they released the 6.7 Cummins with the 68RFE (6 speed) behind it.

The 46RE's were used in gas (5.2L, 5.6L, etc.) 2nd Gen applications. 3rd Gen trucks with gas engines (4.7, 5.7 Hemi, etc.) had the 5-45RFE (5 speed) transmission.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:23 AM, 12ValveGal said:

Can someone please tell me what transmission I have? Trying to troubleshoot why I don't have overdrive. And well... Sure help to know.

All I know is that it's not the original transmission AND the previous owner (for whatever reason) put in a resistor (1kohm) between (looks like) the temperature wire and a ground.

Below are the numbers I found on the transmission. And thanks in advance for y'alls help. (First time forum post). 

Number above pan, driver side.
PK52118320 2016 3230
Number by gear box, passenger side.
283-2

Pic of pan

20200405_172426.jpg

The pans are all the same shape all the way back to the old 727. Show a picture of the OD section. How many wires in the main connector to the transmission?

• Like 1