• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Not starting

5 hours ago, wldbil95 said:

I ordered one. have any idea on what its gonna tell me? do the vp44s get rebuilt, is there a better direct replacement? 

DAP has theVP's for $1000 + the ride. One year warranty. They also have other options. That is where I got my last one. His come fron Industrial Injection l believe. There are very few rebuilders and many, many sellers. Remans are are the only thing available. 

The code reader might not tell you anything if the pump is gummed up from sitting. If you work on your vehicle they are a very good tool to have.

Have you ever verified you do have fuel to the VP or the head?

@Blueox01 l made 277k off my last one. That seemed to me yo be pretty darn good compared to others. What are you doing to get such longevity?

7 hours ago, dripley said:

DAP has theVP's for $1000 + the ride. One year warranty. They also have other options. That is where I got my last one. His come fron Industrial Injection l believe. There are very few rebuilders and many, many sellers. Remans are are the only thing available. 

The code reader might not tell you anything if the pump is gummed up from sitting. If you work on your vehicle they are a very good tool to have.

Have you ever verified you do have fuel to the VP or the head?

@Blueox01 l made 277k off my last one. That seemed to me yo be pretty darn good compared to others. What are you doing to get such longevity?

Guess just lucky original lasted to 453K. Diesel Specialties does it's own rebuilding, they're not just small truck diesel, they also do big truck pump rebuilding also (that's their main target) 1st replacement would still be good if it hadn't set so long.

Edited by Blueox01
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Guess just lucky original lasted to 453K. Diesel Specialties does it's own rebuilding, 1st replacement would still be good if it hadn't set so long.

My oe last 75k. Better than some l have seen here though. My last one came from Blue Chip 8 or 9 years ago for $1700. It wasthe only one I could find with new electronics at the time. Not sure how much better theirs are today since they dont build theirs either.

Edited by dripley

Yes I have fuel to the banjo bolt at pump. Are there any specialized tools needed for pump swap out that I would need? Ive always been pretty good about making sure power service anti gel is in the system before winter. I suppose gelling and gumming are not the same thing. 

• Owner
1 hour ago, wldbil95 said:

Ive always been pretty good about making sure power service anti gel is in the system before winter.

Even living up here in Idaho I've never used PowerService. I only just make sure to run the truck enough to get fresh winterized fuel on board. Now it will not gell up, all the way down to minus temps. Be aware Power Service does not have any lubricants this can be seen by leaving a small sample of PS in a small container that is open. In a few days it will evaporate and leave a gummy residue behind. You can leave 2 cycle exposed forever its still oil. 

If I was to shut down for this next winter I would load up with winterized diesel and dump a shot of Snowmobile Oil in the tank. This will drop the freeze point down further being most snowmobile oil is -50*F or more. Most winterized diesel is rated to -20*F or so. 2 Cycle oil will keep a oily film on all fuel system parts and makes first startup better. 

Most all over the fuel additives are just an alcohol base for cetane boosters which will evaporate in time and be lost at starup. Since most all fuel additives that I've studied do not contain any oil or lubricants.  Just allow the product to stand in the open air and what is remaining is the oils if any are left... Lube oils will never evaporate, other than that we would be adding oil very often.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

3 hours ago, wldbil95 said:

Yes I have fuel to the banjo bolt at pump. Are there any specialized tools needed for pump swap out that I would need? Ive always been pretty good about making sure power service anti gel is in the system before winter. I suppose gelling and gumming are not the same thing. 

You'll need a Vp44 gear puller. I think I bought one one E-Bay cheap, not a tool you need to spend big bucks on.

I pulled mine once with a small steering puller. But now l have one from DAP for pulling the gear which works better. About 25 bucks. My VP failed on the highway and l had nothing else with me to pull the gear.

IT'S ALIVE!!! My buddy came over and he cycled the key while I loosened injectors. Next thing I know fuel is spitting out. He said he was pushing throttle down slightly while motor was chugging. true story!

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 9:04 AM, wldbil95 said:

Yes sir popped right off. I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me. I learned a lot along the way. 

You my sir are lucky, I tried everything to un-gum my pump after it sat,even with no fuel in it. Hope it give you many more miles.