• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 Finally Quit

• Staff

The injector return on a 24V (VP or CR) runs out the back of the head, so you need to "T" that into the VP return line somehow. A OE canister eliminator kit is an easy and clean way to do it. On the topic of the AD, what does the drain on your f/w sep look like? Plastic know or metal "T"?

The injector return on a 24V (VP or CR) runs out the back of the head, so you need to "T" that into the VP return line somehow. A OE canister eliminator kit is an easy and clean way to do it. On the topic of the AD, what does the drain on your f/w sep look like? Plastic know or metal "T"?

So the injectors return fuel too, cool. On the AD, its a metal "T". And the bracket isn't right angled like on Mike's install, the AD mounts parrallel to the frame.

• Staff

So the injectors return fuel too, cool. On the AD, its a metal "T". And the bracket isn't right angled like on Mike's install, the AD mounts parrallel to the frame.

The metal "T" is good, thats the new improved filter. And I was thinking 3rd gen when I mentioned the canister delete. That piece is not necessary on a 2nd gen.

I've driven about 200 miles and at least 20 start/stop cycles since the VP44 replacement, and the CEL is still on. I disconnected both positive battery terminals for about 5 minutes, no joy. I tried pulling the codes, and there weren't any.Any ideas? Thanks!

I've driven about 200 miles and at least 20 start/stop cycles since the VP44 replacement, and the CEL is still on. I disconnected both positive battery terminals for about 5 minutes, no joy. I tried pulling the codes, and there weren't any. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sounds like you need a code reader to turn it off.:thumbup2:

I have a Davis Instrument Carchip that I've used on many ODBII systems to pull codes and reset CELs.I've used it on this truck to pull codes, but this is the first time the CEL stayed on after a repair.I'll see if a parts store can do any better with their reader, maybe its time to upgrade.Thanks.

I went to a couple parts stores and got the "Oh we're not allowed to clear codes, you'll have to go to the dealer". Apparently, some people would get their CEL reset just before getting their emissions tested. You'll fail right away if the CEL is on. I explained to the guy at Pep Boys that I had a diesel and didn't have to get my emissions tested. After a little hemming and hawing, he agreed to clear the codes. And the CEL hasn't come back on.Since my current reader won't reset the CEL, I'm looking for a new one. Does anybody have any experience with the Actron CP9575 ?

• Owner

I've driven about 200 miles and at least 20 start/stop cycles since the VP44 replacement, and the CEL is still on. I disconnected both positive battery terminals for about 5 minutes, no joy. I tried pulling the codes, and there weren't any. Any ideas? Thanks!

Ouch... Now pull the battery cable and retrain the APPS sensor... When you pull the battery cables you loose the APPS setting but the DTC's will remain forever... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps.htm (Bottom of the page)

I went to a couple parts stores and got the "Oh we're not allowed to clear codes, you'll have to go to the dealer". Apparently, some people would get their CEL reset just before getting their emissions tested. You'll fail right away if the CEL is on. I explained to the guy at Pep Boys that I had a diesel and didn't have to get my emissions tested. After a little hemming and hawing, he agreed to clear the codes. And the CEL hasn't come back on. Since my current reader won't reset the CEL, I'm looking for a new one. Does anybody have any experience with the Actron CP9575 ?

Hey just spend the $59 and buy this one http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm It says it clears codes or do like i did Harbour freight for like $62 works good on my 02 model

Ouch... Now pull the battery cable and retrain the APPS sensor... When you pull the battery cables you loose the APPS setting but the DTC's will remain forever... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps.htm (Bottom of the page)

Good call!! I have to retrain the APPS because I had disconnected the batteries, right? Not because the APPS was unplugged during the VP44 replacement.

• Owner

Good call!! I have to retrain the APPS because I had disconnected the batteries, right? Not because the APPS was unplugged during the VP44 replacement.

Actually if you disconnect the APPS sensor or the batteries you suppose to re-calibrate the ECM again by disconnection the batteries and going through the process.