• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help identifying this plug

An OBD linx LX or MX seems to be popular around here. One or both will read live data from the engine. You can google it read up on them.

That vacuum line actually runs to your vacuum pump. The V44 is a VP44 and is your injection pump, no vacuum line on it. At least if I am reading you right.

Just now, dripley said:

An OBD linx LX or MX seems to be popular around here. One or both will read live data from the engine. You can google it read up on them.

That vacuum line actually runs to your vacuum pump. The V44 is a VP44 and is your injection pump, no vacuum line on it. At least if I am reading you right.

I'll look into those thank you for the information, I missed the P on the "VP" portion still learning the 5.9 but what a way to start! Appreciate all the help hopefully I can find out whats going on quickly here.

@dripley I went ahead and picked up the OBDlink MX+ and it got here in one day! (Thanks Amazon) however I'm still only seeing the 1693 code. Is there a function or app in particular I need to ready further into the truck? I've been googling but no real clear answer as to how to get other codes off the truck.

That is strange. The 1693 is not supposed to be there on its own. I cant explain why it is. You could try the key trick which is turn the key on and off, then on and off, then on. Then watch the ododmeter. There is a chance your 01 will read both computers, if it does you will see p done twice. Once after each computer is read. This is not the best method for reading codes even if it does read both.

• Owner

P1693 code is never alone... The P1693 code is a flag that lets you know there is a error on the other computer. So if the ECM is dumping codes and P1693 code is present then the PCM has the code(s). Visa Versa with the PCM reading codes and pop a P1693 it means there is more codes on the ECM. Yes you can have P1693 code twice meaning that both PCM and ECM are going to have errors.

14 minutes ago, dripley said:

That is strange. The 1693 is not supposed to be there on its own. I cant explain why it is. You could try the key trick which is turn the key on and off, then on and off, then on. Then watch the ododmeter. There is a chance your 01 will read both computers, if it does you will see p done twice. Once after each computer is read. This is not the best method for reading codes even if it does read both.

I'll give it a shot and report back. I've been reading about the Torque app to utilize with this reader as well maybe a different app with work better.

To note when I open up the OBDlink app and try to connect it asks which ECU I'd like to connect to D1 or 15. Both still only display the 1693.

IMG_1692.PNG.443a3310361d9f2c3c9a3fb10006e9d2.PNGIMG_1691.PNG.cfe92722111a7d0cc7c4c98d0d40a18e.PNG

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

P1693 code is never alone... The P1693 code is a flag that lets you know there is a error on the other computer. So if the ECM is dumping codes and P1693 code is present then the PCM has the code(s). Visa Versa with the PCM reading codes and pop a P1693 it means there is more codes on the ECM. Yes you can have P1693 code twice meaning that both PCM and ECM are going to have errors.

@Mopar1973Man Understood I've been reading all your posts about this exact scenario which is why I'm quite perplexed on what to do next. Is there a better IOS based app out there which can read deeper in the ECM or PCM or maybe a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

I've tried clearing the codes on both ECUs and they do come back almost instantly, I have not driven the truck much at all due to the nature of the problem I'd like to not be stranded on the side of the road. If you read the thread earlier I stated that there was an unidentified tuner installed when I got the truck (consensus says VERY old Quadzilla). I'm tempted to reinstall this tuner and see if the problem goes away however that would be a temp fix as I plan to upgrade to a new quad.

Lastly the only modification that I'm aware of left on this truck is the APPS filter which is still installed. I'm waiting to remove that until all my parts show up to do the W-T mod which I will remove the filter before starting that project.   

Edited by jtrakel

I drove the truck for a while yesterday with no issues, very weird as it was having a lot of problems before. I'm still getting the 1693 code but nothing else. I also tried to do the key method to display a code and it did not work.

Electrical gremlins are no fun. Mine were on a mostly stock wiring other than what I have added over the years. If the PO did alot of mods it can make solving problems interesting. The gremlins I went thru would come and go also. I eventually found a bad splice in the 5v sensor reference and fixxed it and did the WT ground and have gremlin free for a couple years.

• Like 1