• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum Pump Rebuild

So Ive had the Gould pump reseal kit for awhile and decided since I got all this downtime I would go and rebuild it this morning. Everything was goin great until I started to drive the seal retainer out of the housing. I cannot get the damn thing to budge. Using a big dead blow and the provided driver tool, even used a 2x4 and a 3lb sledge and that sucker wont budge. Anyone had this issue or any tips/tricks?

The pvc pipe driver was obviously not strong enough lol so I had an epiphany and used a 13/16 deep socket and the seal retainer popped right out haha. Shouldve done that in the first place. No leaks but I did go for a test drive and it was sounding kinda funny down there... so idk wtf I got on my hands now. All of my gauges quit working last night as well and the headlights were super dim, but my truck stayed running which is weird. Volts read 8 on the gauge so now im lookin at a mechman alternator. :mad:

Glad you got the issue figured out.  Thanks for the details.

Did the alternator and gauges stop after working on the vacuum pump?  Make sure you didn't knock something loose or pop a fuse or something before just buying a new alternator. 

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

Is that gasket that came with the gould gear kit coated with neoprene? (the big 2 hole gasket that goes between the vac pump and the timing gear housing). Do yourself a favor, definitely put RTV on both sides of that gasket before you put the vac pump/power steering pump assy back on the engine. Otherwise good chance it will leak oil, especially on the side closest to the engine block.