• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Massive oil leak Breather tube

Hi, everyone so I have problem and I can’t find anywhere online with the same problem. I have 97 12v Cummins 2wd automatic i notice that my engine was missing a lot of oil almost no oil at all, so I change the oil filter and added new oil to the engine I went on a 200 mile trip came back it was night time so I waited till the next day to take a look at oil dip stick and again the engine had tiny marker on the dip stick of oil left, i add more oil told my wife to rev up the engine to around 2000 to 3000 rpms and after 3 mins of that my Breather tube was gushing out oil found the problem but don’t know what is the solution I don’t know if is a piston or head gasket want to see what you guys think.

video of oil leak

4940979A-D3D2-4678-83D8-FF39392D4395.png

C881EB01-960C-4E33-968C-B3A53ACC0E7D.png

Edited by Dieselmonkey
Better topic

• Owner

Either....

• Bad injectors washing down cylinder walls and creating blowby.
  • EGT's ran too high and did damage to a cylinder wall and/or piston.
  • Using a washable filter and dusted out the engine rings are wiped out.
  • Vacuum pump has a vacuum leak pressurizing the crankcase blowing oil out. 
  • Fuel leak into the crankcase front seal of the injection pump.

My thought would be to do a compression test and find out where you sit. Then you'll know if its rebuild time our not.

13 minutes ago, Dieselmonkey said:
I have a question does it matter that the vacuum pump is not connect to any vacuum lines when I bought the truck It was missing all the vacuum lines.

Does it have a cap on the fitting coming out of vacuum pump, if not like Mike was saying it's sucking air through that hole into crankcase and blowing oil out. Other than that it shouldn't hurt anything, other then your HVAC will be on windshield and no 4x4 if you have cad.

Nevermind you have two wheel drive, if putting a cap on that vacuum fitting fixes your issue you need to do crankcase vent mod

Thank you for your reply I just capped the inlet on the vacuum pump and let the truck run for 30 mins before I had it rev up again to 2500 rpm for almost 10 mins and I didn’t get one drop of oil I was pulling a 20ft horse trailer when the engine was doing all this oil leak. so tomorrow I’m hook up the trailer and go for a ride and see what happens.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Owner
18 minutes ago, 77Jeep12V said:

So washable K&N is no go? Good to know, didn't think it would hurt. Ill run BHAF

Washable anything is bad idea. Every time you wash the media you break down the media and not ot mention washed incorrectly deposits dirt on the wrong side of the filter for when its dry again it is inhaled by the engine. Washable filters are extremely bad idea. I've seen several dusted out vehicles ruined early in life. BHAF some claim do not flow enough air which I call BS. I'm at 500 HP last time I had a BHAF with my filter minder it never moved. Now if oyu place the filter minder to your lips and pull a very light vacuum you'll find that it only mere inches of water column to move the disc. To this day mine has never moved even after 150k miles of dirt road. After 400k miles I quit putting the filter minder in because its just not making ANY restriction on air to even move the filter minder. 

421k miles and still twisting...

• Owner
20 minutes ago, 77Jeep12V said:

Half a million miles, thats awesome. :) ill ditch the K&N.

Another way to look at it...

238k miles to the moon. It's 476k to the moon and back. 421k miles I'm almost home. 

@dripleyhas over 500k miles. There is another one past 800k miles too. He's closer to two trip to the moon and back. (952k 2 laps)