• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just....weird

Ok. So long story short, I tried to swap the old 150 injectors into my truck after I went through and set all the pop off pressures with shims(diesel class project). They're pretty much junk, considering they do nothing but just smoke out everything behind the truck. I ended up going back to the stocker set I got from a good guy from here (name escapes me atm, but thank you again amigo). Had hell getting the truck started again, which I think was because I backed the truck into my spot at home, and it was leaning back slightly (the road has a crown). I got a friend and he helped me get her going again, but as it was idling, it started pouring fuel out of the bottow. We traced it to the old feed line to the old lift pump, which was just pouring fuel out of the end. Now as long as I've owned the truck, this line has never leaked a drop. Bone dry. I figured the old owner was too lazy to delete the old line after putting in the FASS. Now, there shouldn't be a pump in the tank on a 98, right? The 24v just used the engine lift pump, right? If that's the case, why would fuel start pouring out of the old line? I was going to just pop the old line off at the tank, and try to cap it with something, would that work? I really don't want to drop the tank if I don't have to.

The only other way to tell would be to have a dealer pull up service records on your VIN.  It would have been installed as a warranty item so they should have a record of it if it was done.  Otherwise have someone bump the key with your ear up against the tank and see if you hear the 20 seconds of buzz. 

So it's not a fuel pump in the tank. It's my stupid self. I didnt get new copper washers for the injectors, and I think I've got compression leaking by and getting into the fuel return and pressuring the tank. I think anyway. I had a long talk with my diesel teacher, and we narrowed it down to that. 

My next question is, I have a set of unused but thicker copper washers, could I use those? Will it change anything? 

6 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

My next question is, I have a set of unused but thicker copper washers, could I use those? Will it change anything? 

Technically yes it will slightly change the depth of the spray pattern...but won't be a problem.  The reason for the different thickness of copper washers is to raise injector height on a cylinder head that has been milled to avoid piston/injector contact.  Make sure they are thicker and NOT thinner washers...otherwise could be a costly mistake.

• Owner
14 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

I think I've got compression leaking by and getting into the fuel return and pressuring the tank.

Not possible if the injectors are torqued to 89 inch pounds. Even on worn copper washers. If you not doing the install correctly yes it possible to have a compression leak into the return rail. All I would do is double check the torque of the injector hold downs.

The only way to get compression gases to the fuel tank typically is a cracked head. 

So I pulled everything back apart, and idk how in the hell I did it, But I missed the copper washer on the number one injector. Truck runs now,(albeit like poop, but I think I know why), and it isn't pushing fuel out of the line. So let my mistake be a lesson, always take your time, and double check everything. I really hope I didn't screw up my truck.....