• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck will start in the morning but won't start after driving a few miles

just purchased 1999 dodge 2500 24v ....the truck will start up in the morning but after driving a few miles won't start after turning it off.....belonged to my brother in law it was parked for that reason....i replaced fuel filter both batteries and lift pump behind the fuel filter housing....still nothing....i hit it with a sniff of ether and fired right up.....any help would be greatly appreciated

22 minutes ago, Bullet said:

Got any codes?  Just from your post I would immediately start looking at the VP44...specifically the box on it.  But you should have a code(s) if that's the case. 

No codes no check engine light....can just the box b replaced?

11 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Try dumping cold water on top of vp to cool it off after the drive and see if it helps, if it does the psg is tost. 

What is psg? And previous owner carried a cooler of water in his truck for that reason or ran water hose over it and it would start

3 minutes ago, Drc said:

What is psg? And previous owner carried a cooler of water in his truck for that reason or ran water hose over it and it would start

Psg is computer on top of vp, some tried replacing the trans istor and had luck, personally if that's what it is ideal get a new vp. There are videos on YouTube on how to fix psg.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dieselfuture said:

Psg is computer on top of vp, some tried replacing the trans istor and had luck, personally if that's what it is ideal get a new vp. There are videos on YouTube on how to fix psg.

I'll check out some utube videos I'm not a mechanic by no means but before I get into anything like that I go to utube and take pictures so it goes back the way I find it

6 minutes ago, Drc said:

No codes no check engine light....can just the box b replaced?

I wish it was that easy to just replace the box...but it ain't.  You would need an entire pump replacement.   @Dieselfuture's recommendation with the cold water tells you what the codes aren't.  Since the previous owner had success with that I'd agree that the box (psg) on the pump is "toast".  New VP time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Drc said:

I'll check out some utube videos I'm not a mechanic by no means but before I get into anything like that I go to utube and take pictures so it goes back the way I find it

It's all about solder they used back then when EPA said no more lead in solder, so they came up with some, but with time it would crystallize and lose connection or so I heard. Plus if you have weak grounds and high ac noise from alternator, that will fry electronics. That's why we recommend wt mod for everyone and others to go with.

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

From your other posts a new VP would probably solve your problems. Hopefully your purchase price figured that in.

Didn't figure that in with purchase....and it's probably not a good idea to buy off a vp from a complete stranger?

3 minutes ago, Drc said:

Didn't figure that in with purchase....and it's probably not a good idea to buy off a vp from a complete stranger?

I wouldn't pay more than a $100 more for a used vp then what they charge for a core, unless you seen it run and it has no problems. You can gamble, but most that sell a used vp have no clue of how to take care of one, so probably had a hard life. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dripley said:

The starter fluid starting it makes it sound like a fuel problem. But I cant explain why it starts fine on a cold start.

When I purchased truck I replaced batteries lift pump and fuel filter after truck sitting for 3 months it fired right up . I figured wasn't getting enough fuel that's why I replaced lift pump weather 56° today started today went to the store came home and went back out 10 mins later it fired right up 

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wouldn't pay more than a $100 more for a used vp then what they charge for a core, unless you seen it run and it has no problems. You can gamble, but most that sell a used vp have no clue of how to take care of one, so probably had a hard life. 

I seen some remanufactured on rock auto thought about going that route....are they hard to switch out?

Before purchasing a new VP...I would suggest throat punching your brother-in-law.  I've had to do that to my brother-in-law on more than a few occasions and he has always readily volunteered to fix the problem afterwards. :punish:

Edited by Bullet
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bullet said:

Before purchasing a new VP...I would suggest throat punching your brother-in-law.  I've had to do that to my brother-in-law on more than a few occasions and he has always readily volunteered to fix the problem afterwards. :punish:

Well I knew the truck and the problems it had and I figured the parts I switched out would fix the problems I was kinda rolling the dice buying this truck

I am leary of rock auto VP44's. Their prices have come down but you dont know the source of the pump. DAP has them for $1k with new computers on top. Built by Industrial injection. No one has new pumps, they dont make them any more. This the part l hope you allowed for. Live and learn. We all have in one way or another.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Drc said:

I seen some remanufactured on rock auto thought about going that route....are they hard to switch out?

They are all reman no new available from what we know and if there was a new old stock I would not want it as its not upgraded. I would buy from DAP as they treat us good here and good prices too. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

They are all reman no new available from what we know and if there was a new old stock I would not want it as its not upgraded. I would buy from DAP as they treat us good here and good prices too. 

I'll check out DAP thanks

9 minutes ago, Drc said:

I'll check out DAP thanks

Don't feel obligated just our experience, back in the day I had a shitty experience there but it was almost 10 years ago and I believe who I delt with doesn't work there any longer. Since then I bought a few things there with good luck and good support. This goes for any company, some are not around anymore because of it and others are still screwing people. 

• Thanks 1