• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo/Injector upgrade (Heavy Towing) Shoutout to Me78569

the 57/65/14 can support 500HP, but would be hot.  450HP is more reasonable.  The 12cm improves spool, but decreases peak HP.  You are at lower elevation and have stock size tires or close to it so spool should not be too hard with either a 57mm or 62mm.  The extra turbo is a nice addtion for EGt control and keeping boost up so the engine is responsive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Your ultimate power goal dictates your path.  A single at 500 hp can still tow very nice.  

Exactly.

13 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I don't like towing with wiretap personally.  I would leave it on lvl3 towing.

A killer tow setup with be 7 x .010's and that 57.   66lb/min is a good 400 hp worth of towing air.  that is a CONSIDERABLE upgrade over what you have now.   

All diesel guys love the idea of 500+ hp, but more often than not a 350 hp setup is more than enough to make you smile. We all suffer from the hp drive.

Not to downplay the 62/68/12 setup as that is a tried and true 500 hp DD / tow setup but I would personally be looking at the 57 if I was towing a lot and mulling over the idea of twins down the road.

either choice will work, the 62 will have more power up top the 57 will outspool the 62.   if the truck is more of a toy then 62 if it is more of a work horse then 57 :2cents:

x100.  

I just went through the same quest as you OP but I have no desire to run compounds.   I built a HX40 hybrid that is a billet wheel 60/64/12 for about $600 all in.  The turbo is amazing and does the job perfectly IMO in the towing application.

I just finished a 7 hour round trip towing a 14k 5th wheel and the turbo performed fantastic.

Agree with above... towing above level 3 (wire tap)  is kind of crappy because wire tap is not conrolled very well and tends to be abrupt/jerky.

The one mistake i made was buying 7x0085 injectors as an early mod when i bought this truck.  I should have gone 7x10s from the start and my truck would now be done being modded.

5 hours ago, dieselautopower said:

True,  some peak HP loss.  It depends on the primary and secondary goals of use for the truck.

Primary is Daily Driver secondary is all towing. Truck doesnt get raced I dont think I've went past 3000 rpm since I've owned it the 5 inch exhaust and drone gets loud at 2800 lol. Here in Florida I'm 49 feet of elevation , where I tow to in New York 3-4 times a year is 1400 feet elevation if that helps any. Also dont plan on any weight over 26000 combined I dont want to gave to get a cdl for a hobby lol.

Edited by 1369x

both turbos will do the job,  would you prefer faster spool at the cost of 100 hp worth of air or do you want that extra air with a little slower spooling turbo?  

Edited by Me78569

With the 62 I'd have to look at some valvetrain upgrades? Pushrod,valve springs. You promote the he351 turbo pretty good seems like the GXE 57 is a high dollar one of those which if Its a direct replacement seems to be the better option for me. Only thing that sticks out to me with the 62 is the 500hp and that would be the easier turbo to get rid of if I didnt like it. The faster spooling will help me on the hills up north since it will spool faster. I doubt I'll be in 6th gear going 75 up the hills but 60 in 5th seems more like a thing. The 57 GXE will most likely be the one I go with.

If you arent spinning high rpms and dont have an exhaust brake then no valvetrain stuff is needed.  The 62 can flow enough air to get into the area of springs being a good idea, but again not really %100 needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

If you arent spinning high rpms and dont have an exhaust brake then no valvetrain stuff is needed.  The 62 can flow enough air to get into the area of springs being a good idea, but again not really %100 needed.

If that's the case I'll probably go 62 dont really see the concern for exhaust brake unless I'm up north with the grades but plan on upgrading to 3rd gen brakes if that's a option for my truck. I baby the truck for rpms always shift between 25-2800 Thanks for all the help!

Edited by 1369x

3 hours ago, 1369x said:

With the 62 I'd have to look at some valvetrain upgrades? Pushrod,valve springs. You promote the he351 turbo pretty good seems like the GXE 57 is a high dollar one of those which if Its a direct replacement seems to be the better option for me. Only thing that sticks out to me with the 62 is the 500hp and that would be the easier turbo to get rid of if I didnt like it. The faster spooling will help me on the hills up north since it will spool faster. I doubt I'll be in 6th gear going 75 up the hills but 60 in 5th seems more like a thing. The 57 GXE will most likely be the one I go with.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 62 unless you are definitely going compounds.  The 62 will tow very well (especially with the manual trans) and make the kinda of power you're talking about.  Won't spool quite as fast as a 57 but won't run out of guts as fast either.  The spool difference is much closer together than the power difference is.  My 62 spools almost exactly like the hy35 I replaced...and way more air/power in comparison.

Has anyone had experience with Fenley precision inductions cam across there Facebook page for a hx 35 60/67/12 how would this compare to a 62 besides the price difference?

Modified HX35 and HE351 have their place, but its not =  an s300.  bearings are smaller, compressor housing is small.  It all depends on the application.  Always keep in mind the time to rebuild, and the loss of a core or good turbo to make the hybrid.  If one is in love with a project and it fits thier needs then go for it.  The SXE is such a good value.  Custom $2000 dollar turbos from a few years ago wish they could have been SXE turbos.

2 hours ago, dieselautopower said:

Modified HX35 and HE351 have their place, but its not =  an s300.  bearings are smaller, compressor housing is small.  It all depends on the application.  Always keep in mind the time to rebuild, and the loss of a core or good turbo to make the hybrid.  If one is in love with a project and it fits thier needs then go for it.  The SXE is such a good value.  Custom $2000 dollar turbos from a few years ago wish they could have been SXE turbos.

When I call who do I ask for? Or does it matter?