• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Getting rid of the rust

@Doubletrouble probably work better than my idea of tossing my 7 year old daughter on it and turning her loose with the DA.

It quit raining by the time i got home today and i was able to finish up with the 400 paper. I didn't bother with any spot putty just got rid of the deep scratches in the paint. Forgot to take pics because i was in a hurry to drop it off at the paint shop, but i got it there before they closed. Ended up with around 80% of the paint sanded off. Not perfect but will look 500% better than before. 

Reason i was in a rush is i have a spare hood. Swapping the white hood off so i can wet sand and buff it and keep the truck on the road. If i screw it up I'll get it painted after a couple more side jobs.

Probably have it back mid next week so ill get some finished pics soon. 

Should have tried to get a job at the body shop and let him pay me in paint and body.

• Staff

Since this will be my first floor patch I think. Going to just get the actual replacement panel and start there. May have to get a new welder also, I have a small 90amp flux core I use for little stuff. From what I hear not the best for body work but we'll see. I'll test it somewhere with sheet metal first.

Flux core sucks for sheet metal. Definitely get a MIG with 75/25 gas. You can get a nice Miller (my choice) or Lincoln 110 volt that will do 3/8" or so for around $750, then Eastwood has Chinese welders and plasmas that are actually really good and their customer service is excellent. I would not cheap out on a welder. Get the best you can afford because its something that can last you years if taken care of.

Good thing about a floor is you wont see it when you're done so its a good spot to learn.

I am not a paint and body man but i can do the cutting and welding. Its the mud work i hate. 

Good luck with it.

My stuff just got put on hold again. Carport roof finally started falling in today. I knew it was really bad but was trying to put it off a couple more months because i want to raise it and its attached to the garage. Im going to have to rip off part of the garage roof when i do it and was trying to wait until dryer weather was here. Cant ignore it any longer. 

At least the last guy was nice enough to mark where the leak was.

20200509_152543.jpg

• Confused 1

Got the car port braced up enough that i dont think it will fall in on me. Too much rain coming in to start on raising it this weekend. 

Got the lettering on the tailgate, waiting on the plastic trim to show up. Haven't decided if I'm putting the "4x4" decal back on.20200510_161308.jpg.0b1fe451c6bc49a6034c736ca838db83.jpg

• Like 1

@dripley thanks. Finished wet sanding the hood, passenger side doors and back part of the cab yesterday and got a buffing pad today. Might start on the hood this afternoon after work if its not raining. It wont be perfect but it already looks like a different truck just after washing it. No more black and green film all over it. Only bad thing about doing this is now i have another car to keep washed.

Did a quick pass with the buffer and some fine swirl remover. Passenger doors, rocker, and cab side turned out ok, passenger side all pretty much matches now, at least enough my relatively low standards. The hood needs some more work. Lots of sanding scratches left but it's starting to shine up.  Need the truck for tomorrow so it will have to wait. 

20200511_182539.jpg

20200511_182551.jpg

• Like 2

@Royal Squire i think I'll hit it with some compound. Not much on washing cars by hand.

@Doubletrouble sand it down and paint it. Thats what i was told on my last car with peeling clear coat. I had clear peeling off in sheets. Told i had to get ALL the clear coat off for the paint to have something to stick to. 

Believe me when i say it looks better in pictures. 

My 95 3500 was black. Shiny nice bed was a factory take off from a 02 and cab was flat black from all the clear peeling off.  

@Threadzy thanks a lot. 

Keep waiting on a call to pick up the tonneau cover, then realized its only Tuesday even though it feels like Thursday. This week is dragging by.