• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Getting rid of the rust

Carport is behind my privacy fence in the back yard. I don't park under it i work under it because my garage isnt tall enough to work out of. If I'm lucky i get to park in the shade from the house.

Washed the roof and hit it with some polishing compound this afternoon. Now the only black stuff on the truck is what belongs on it. Little more work on the hood, get the tonneau cover on, tailgate trim & hang some doors and i can wax it. Really looking forward to that.

@Doubletrouble That little thief likes to wait till i set something down then swipe it but all she did today was clean off the oil pan with her head. 

Vinyl was peeling on both sides and the fresh door doesn't have it so i figured I'd see what a white truck looks like without it. Not sure if i like it gone with the dark tint but i had to remove it if im going to fix it. 

Fixed the rust on front door with a grinder and duct tape. Didn't have any white paint in the garage.20200517_161515.jpg.4db86e8ba236284247fdfd9617a4d432.jpg

Before duct tape.20200517_191916.jpg.a095c7bf332837d59dbc7e0f5c80954b.jpg

After duct tape. 

Even managed to peel off my VIN sticker off the old door in 1 piece to put on the new door.

Edited by Gregturley

• Staff

For some reason your pics didn't load. Might be my phone who knows. I'm sure it looks better though. 

I did the rust on the bottom of my passenger door, turned out ok but didn't get the right color to match and should have done a skim coat of puddy to smooth it out better. Probably re-do it when it warms up.

Went by the body shop to get them to buff a couple spots i found on the rear door the other day. Owners son took care of the door and started looking the truck over, found a couple spots on the bed he didn't like and got those too. Then he saw the hood. He knew it was good enough for me but he proceeded to give me a lot of crap about how bad i did and went at a 2 foot area with a DA, 3000 and compound. Huge difference. Now i had a really slick, shiny spot right in front of the driver seat. He then sent me home with instructions, a couple 3000 discs, his DA pad and some 3M compound and told me he expected better. Spent yesterday going over everything that wasn't painted with the DA. Going to try the compound tonight and tomorrow. 

They let me leave my trailer there while i did some work on my carport. Now im scared to go pick it up because i know he's going to start looking at my truck and find something else.

• Haha 1

Tried to get him to finish out the hood. He said i was capable and if i screwed it up said "you know a guy that can paint it". 

I learned some more about bringing dead paint back to life. With the type of cars i usually drive that is a good thing. It's a family owned/ran body shop, everyone there is really nice and helpful and Daniel knew when he did that it would drive me nuts and make me finish it. I told him i was going to start picking apart every car my shop gets back from them so they all better be perfect. 

• Haha 1

@Doubletrouble Like i said nice, helpful guys there. Didn't try to sell me a sand and buff, gave me a 30 minute lesson. They use 3M Perfect-it 1 2 3 system. I'm using 1 compound and white foam pad. I didn't take any pics of the process.  I am not an expert but:

Pretty simple in theory. Wash car and get it spotless. No dirt or grit. Thats what got me on the hood i didn't clean it good enough and had grit get under my sandpaper.

Hand sand: 3000 grit wet/dry paper (i used 2500-don't) and water keeping surface damp. Soak sandpaper in water for 10-15 minutes. Don't want it wet with hose, use mist from a spray bottle.

DA: 3000 grit 3M Trizact and a DA pad that has some cushion to it. The trick is keep the speed down and pad flat with light to medium pressure. You don't want the DA to really spin, mostly just dance around. Mist with spray bottle keep damp. What i worried about was burning through the clear around body lines and edges.

As far as compounding, I'll get back to you on that. I will get some pics as it sits after sanding and before compounding and after I'm done.

• Like 2

Same door after 3000 DA. 

Before compound.

20200521_161738.jpg.7c52a8df418359782e905c9fd0f6b6b2.jpg

After a quick pass. About 1 minute on a 1 foot square area with the wrong pad. Amazon hasn't been here yet.20200521_161729.jpg.a5a2dbcb46d25996d4884f81e51cd8c5.jpg

Sorry the lighting is not better. This is the old driver front that i am going to replace. Im using it to practice.

• Like 1

Just now, Gregturley said:

Amazon brought my pads. Now I'm getting somewhere. 1st pass with compound. Probably do at least 1 more.20200521_200235.jpg.eb83c8e1c2f61a2a4e07f67d35da4c92.jpg20200521_200254.jpg.8a875d23c8cde09ab72f7ab9480b890c.jpg

Looking good!  The lime green accents don't look half bad either... :nadkick:

• Thanks 1

@Doubletrouble 3m 05723. Amazon 2 pack $32.xx after tax. Local wanted $35-40 each. Thats for the #1 compound thats white. 1st step in that system. I was told thats all I'll need to do on white. Dark colors youll need to do steps 2 & 3 each uses a different pad.

15901099769498805229274646517787.jpg

This is complete 3M system on eBay. I'm using 1st step only. May go over it with some mirror glaze stuff that i have, just depends on how it looks. I will say the 3M stuff puts the Mirror Glaze stuff to shame but I have a bunch of different Mirror Glaze in the garage along with a fine black pad.

Screenshot_2020-05-21-21-27-46.png

Screenshot_2020-05-21-21-28-10.png