Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Recommended Posts

Hi all, so , recently had my fuel pump go belly up and decided to upgrade to an airdog, I know there were a couple options and I was planning on possibly adding power down the road so my research pointed me to the airdog 150.

I call the airdog tech support and he recommends the $200 factory replacement with lifetime warranty, I'm game and get it ordered, only while I'm waiting for it to show up I find it's only got a 4yr warranty, and technically isn't a 150, I call the guy back and he admits he made a mistake, what would I like to do he asks? Well, what's my next option with the lifetime? Him; the 4g 150 and you use your stock filter and still don't have to remove gas tank since my pump is engine mount. Well for $100 more I get that one coming. Well surprise!  It shows up and it turns out you not only have to get to top of tank but remove and modify the fuel module!

I call him back and tell him I'm not thrilled, him; Oh, with the 150 you have to, I forgot, well you can send it back if you want, but it's really a pretty straightforward install. How difficult could it be I say! And I dive in,ended up pushing the bed out of the way, not too difficult, pull out the fuel module and looks nothing like directions but might work? But this one I can't get over, supposedly you're supposed to use the old suction line as new return line, with no instructions or hardware (fittings) to do it! Really don't want to start cutting lines and try hose clamping stuff together, Also there's no instructions or hardware from the filter up to vp.

Sorry for the rant, but my question, has anyone installed one of these? I'm going to call Monday but WOW! Maybe it's just me? Can't find any info on youtube or anything, just for the "100" which is a completely different install.

Thanks for any replies!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome @dieseldon...you really should look into a mechanical fuel pump (Fuel Boss, Assassin or Power Driven Diesel) if you haven't yet.  The install is more straightforward and the customer service i

I think?? Maybe where it says to be sure to connect old return line is what got me off track? Bullet, not just that but you have to modify module and also run1/2 lines from tank on up. Well

Messing with the tank is just to get all the fuel lines connected and abandon all the stock fuel lines for new 1/2" supply lines. Location of the pump does not matter. Though as close to the tank as y

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Welcome @dieseldon...you really should look into a mechanical fuel pump (Fuel Boss, Assassin or Power Driven Diesel) if you haven't yet.  The install is more straightforward and the customer service is a hell of alot better too...judging by the experience you've had thus far.  They are a couple hundred more but they are way better designed and built and a much more reliable setup.

 

What you are currently doing is replacing an electric pump that has failed with an electric pump that will someday fail again.  What is that saying about doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result?  If budget is a problem then you gotta do what you gotta do.  But just understand that any and all electric fuel pumps are inferior to mechanical fuel pumps in every way.

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the reply bullet, yes I know about those pumps, my son just installed in his (even tho his hadn't gone out yet) unfortunately yes budget is a major concern, about twice what I paid. Going that route would be a hard pill to swallow at this point, with my bed hanging off, fuel module out  partially modified, new pump bolted to my frame....ect.

 If I'm honest with you, and more importantly myself, I think my biggest mistake was buying this piece of .... dodge to begin with thinking I would have a simple, reliable truck to occasionally pull my camper! Been doing nothing but shoveling money into it since the day I bought it a few months ago with no end in sight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand...I would be a little frustrated too if I went through what you just did.  There are several Airdog owners on here that should chime in soon enough to assist.  I wish you the best... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Hi all, so , recently had my fuel pump go belly up and decided to upgrade to an airdog, I know there were a couple options and I was planning on possibly adding power down the road so my research pointed me to the airdog 150.

I call the airdog tech support and he recommends the $200 factory replacement with lifetime warranty, I'm game and get it ordered, only while I'm waiting for it to show up I find it's only got a 4yr warranty, and technically isn't a 150, I call the guy back and he admits he made a mistake, what would I like to do he asks? Well, what's my next option with the lifetime? Him; the 4g 150 and you use your stock filter and still don't have to remove gas tank since my pump is engine mount. Well for $100 more I get that one coming. Well surprise!  It shows up and it turns out you not only have to get to top of tank but remove and modify the fuel module!

I call him back and tell him I'm not thrilled, him; Oh, with the 150 you have to, I forgot, well you can send it back if you want, but it's really a pretty straightforward install. How difficult could it be I say! And I dive in,ended up pushing the bed out of the way, not too difficult, pull out the fuel module and looks nothing like directions but might work? But this one I can't get over, supposedly you're supposed to use the old suction line as new return line, with no instructions or hardware (fittings) to do it! Really don't want to start cutting lines and try hose clamping stuff together, Also there's no instructions or hardware from the filter up to vp.

Sorry for the rant, but my question, has anyone installed one of these? I'm going to call Monday but WOW! Maybe it's just me? Can't find any info on youtube or anything, just for the "100" which is a completely different install.

Thanks for any replies!

sounds to me like you need a draw straw, this fits into the fuel basket while binning a whole lot of unneeded rubbish in that area, basically pop a hole in the top of the basket and using a supplied bulkhead fitting and the pickup tube you're good to go  @dieselautopower has one for around $70 IIRC.  did you get a new supply line from the basket with your A dog ? if so it should all be good with a DS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wil440, thanks, yes they supplied the new bulkhead fitting and straw that I've already installed, unfortunately my basket looks nothing like the instructions, mines like a basket in a basket so I'm not going to be using the mounting brkt. they supplied hopefully it'll be ok? Right now my biggest concern is they want me to no use my old supply line as the return line with no instructions or fittings.

Some pictures of my module, I haven't drilled all the holes yet or any other mods as I might just pack it all up and try to get money back?20200503_112708.jpg.92f12c4fe96cccfffccf013bcda4c2d9.jpg

20200503_112730.jpg

20200503_112746.jpg

Fyi, this is probably the easiest way to access tank at least if you don't want to mess around with draining fuel ect. and you're by yourself, remove rear bumper, bed bolts and slide bed back, air tools are kind of a must tho.

20200503_114021.jpg

20200503_114043.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the basket in the instructions look like this?

post-10340-138698183186_thumb.jpg

Yours looks like the oe and mine is the after market in tank basket that Dodge blessed me with.

 

IIRC the return on mine just connected onto the old supply outlet. but that was a good while back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The return from the pump on mine just connects to the original supply steel line at the frame near drivers front wheel, no need to modify anything at the basket for the return, you are basically adding a supply line anyway so the original supply line is redundant so it's used for the return, this is on a DTT mechanical but the straw and it's pipework is the same, I have the instructions somewhere I can scan and let you have them if needed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dripley, right, yours looks like one in directions, but they are also instructing me to use old suction line as return,

I think I just figured out, maybe my mind was scrambled from thinking too much? The return line goes to old suction post on module, not old suction LINE as return, make sense?

Here's that bracket I don't think is going to be used.20200503_131144.jpg.63e2aa8d30bd0389e061cba8099cb888.jpg

20200503_131220.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, wil440 said:

The return from the pump on mine just connects to the original supply steel line at the frame near drivers front wheel, no need to modify anything at the basket for the return, you are basically adding a supply line anyway so the original supply line is redundant so it's used for the return, this is on a DTT mechanical but the straw and it's pipework is the same, I have the instructions somewhere I can scan and let you have them if needed

So all of this messing with the tank is basically only because the Airdog is located on the frame rail behind where the original supply pipe ends?

 

Nice looking truck btw @dieseldon

Edited by Bullet
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think?? Maybe where it says to be sure to connect old return line is what got me off track?

Bullet, not just that but you have to modify module and also run1/2 lines from tank on up.

Well I'm still kinda stuck, the return line and suction ports on module are different sizes, kinda thinking I need to modify return line on module and re connect to original port? See why my mind is scrambled?

Not sure why these comments are merging?

Edited by dieseldon
clarity
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bullet said:

So all of this messing with the tank is basically only because the Airdog is located on the frame rail behind where the original supply pipe ends?

Messing with the tank is just to get all the fuel lines connected and abandon all the stock fuel lines for new 1/2" supply lines. Location of the pump does not matter. Though as close to the tank as you can is best. There is also a return for the pump that can go to the basket or some come with fitting to return into the filler neck. 

 

7 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

I think?? Maybe where it says to be sure to connect old return line is what got me off track?

Bullet, not just that but you have to modify module and also run1/2 lines from tank on up.

When I did mine I ended up with 2 returns to the basket and one supply leaving. The second return was from the pump, both to the factory connections. The pump to the old factory supply

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps airdog has merged instructions with their other products? If I read slowly it says the return line FROM AIRDOG must be connected to factory suction line, well the airdog only has a line in and line out to vp

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bullet said:

So all of this messing with the tank is basically only because the Airdog is located on the frame rail behind where the original supply pipe ends?

 

Nice looking truck btw @dieseldon

I was thinking about the old block mounted Fass that was on mine sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dripley, I'm assuming yours was the one with filter, air/water seperator? With a line returning to airdog? (Haven't seen one in person) but all I see on mine is line in from tank and out to factory filter/vp

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dieseldon said:

Perhaps airdog has merged instructions with their other products? If I read slowly it says the return line FROM AIRDOG must be connected to factory suction line, well the airdog only has a line in and line out to vp

That is correct. they both turn into return and the suction you appear to have installed. That is how mine is connected. I do think pretty crappy they dont let you know about the different baskets. When I bought mine it came with a kit to modify the basket and get rid of the in tank pump. So mine matched what I had. 

 

After re reading you post it would appear the pump you have has no return line? Which pump is it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  Some pictures of mine, they merge the 100 and 150 instructions but 150 install is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, they send suppliment instructions and they never show end result on 150 and of course don't really explain that whole mod thing worth crap!

Thuroghbred diesel has a good youtube video install, but the 100, not 15020200503_141955.jpg.bc320b0822ef9a20380a8d8ca161e720.jpg

 

20200503_141942.jpg

I think this is a fairly new offering from airdog? Maybe they haven't worked out the instructions completely? Very frustrating!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see, you have a raptor pump. Mine is an AD 165 that come with filters and does have a return off the pump. Not sure why they are telling to hook up the second return line if the pump does not have one. That is a bit f'd up. @JAG1 did either one of your raptors have a return line?

 

Looking on their site the sell the pumps for an in tank conversion or factory like you have. Anyone there ask you what you had?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they did ask, but then again he says great, since mine is mounted to block I won't even have to remove tank/bed. Things have been uphill ever since! Actually before that if you read my first message.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read it but did not pick up on it being a raptor. Plus they sell a 100 and a 150 that come with the filters and all. 

 

I looked up a set of instructions for the 100/150 4g raptor and it does not look the same as yours. Of course it does not have anything in them about the draw straw you installed so I might be looking at some thing different. The instructions you picture and the one I am seeing both are titled the same at the top of page but the one I am seeing says nothing about a return line from the pump. Something is weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure you're not looking at the "frp"?? I think at least airdog was confused (among other things) when he told me there wouldn't be any tank removing? On both BTW. The first one I got WAS the block mounted frp 150,

But then I opted for the frame mounted raptor 4g, lifetime warranty, etc.. I think they're all called raptor just to add to the confusion!

I'll just have to grill them tomorrow I guess.

Why is it so damn important to have that extra fuel to return to tank on the raptor 4gll, and supposedly my 4g and that are tech. same pumps minus the filtering?? Something isn't adding up!

 

Thank you all for trying to help BTW! It's hard not to be 😾 in these situations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dieseldon said:

Are you sure you're not looking at the "frp"?? I think at least airdog was confused (among other things) when he told me there wouldn't be any tank removing? On both BTW. The first one I got WAS the block mounted frp 150,

But then I opted for the frame mounted raptor 4g, lifetime warranty, etc.. I think they're all called raptor just to add to the confusion!

I'll just have to grill them tomorrow I guess.

Why is it so damn important to have that extra fuel to return to tank on the raptor 4gll, and supposedly my 4g and that are tech. same pumps minus the filtering?? 

 

The Air Dog 4g and Raptor 4G are not the same, (back when I installed one, the 4G wasn’t even heard of as far as I know I think it’s just the pump that has been upgraded) The Air Dog is plumbed with a return and has the extra filters, the raptor is just plumbed in-line on your suction side and no return line plumbing is used, @dieseldon it sounds like you have the frame mount raptor 150 or 100, not sure which one but plumbing should be the same, I installed one of these about 10 years ago, it’s basically just adding a 1/2 inch suction tube in place of your existing suction tube in the fuel basket, then running 1/2  “ line to inlet port of raptor and 1/2” line on outlet port of raptor directly to your existing fuel canister on your engine block, from fuel canister to VP is added 1/2”or 3/8 line which is not included in the original raptor plumbing,  like I say it’s been awhile since doing one of these so don’t beat me up to bad if something’s missing, just going off memory,  I will search for original raptor 100 and 150 instructions to help with the confusion 

 

see if these help

spacer.png

Edited by 01cummins4ever
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not meddle with return line when I did mine. Did draw straw 1/2" all way to injection.  Fuel returns through factory line.

 

It shouybe all puslock connections now with a fitting supplied to gl into filter houseing. 

Plug harness in supply power and go.

 

I pulled my bed off 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was looking at the raptor and not the FRP. Matter of fact the instructions that @01cummins4ever posted are the ones I was looking at. I dont see any pump return line they are speaking of in your instructions. 

 

I dropped my tank to do mine. it was pretty easy. especially the second time.

Edited by dripley
Link to post
Share on other sites

  I have those instructions, but also a supplement which in bold red letters tells this nonsense about return lines.

I have a feeling I'm supposed to just reconnect my original one but just wanted to be extra sure since airdog is making it seem critical, and what's their explanation of having to do it for the filtered one and not mine? Seems they want the extra fuel pumped back to the tank for a reason?

Evan, thanks for chiming in, is that a 4g 150 on yours? I was thinking it was something different.20200503_190223.jpg.ff2b3fe11b77a6de928f7678a4cf9615.jpg

20200503_190125.jpg

20200503_190106.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...