• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

airdog 4g 150 install trouble

Are you sure you're not looking at the "frp"?? I think at least airdog was confused (among other things) when he told me there wouldn't be any tank removing? On both BTW. The first one I got WAS the block mounted frp 150,

But then I opted for the frame mounted raptor 4g, lifetime warranty, etc.. I think they're all called raptor just to add to the confusion!

I'll just have to grill them tomorrow I guess.

Why is it so damn important to have that extra fuel to return to tank on the raptor 4gll, and supposedly my 4g and that are tech. same pumps minus the filtering?? Something isn't adding up!

Thank you all for trying to help BTW! It's hard not to be ? in these situations.

1 hour ago, dieseldon said:

Are you sure you're not looking at the "frp"?? I think at least airdog was confused (among other things) when he told me there wouldn't be any tank removing? On both BTW. The first one I got WAS the block mounted frp 150,

But then I opted for the frame mounted raptor 4g, lifetime warranty, etc.. I think they're all called raptor just to add to the confusion!

I'll just have to grill them tomorrow I guess.

Why is it so damn important to have that extra fuel to return to tank on the raptor 4gll, and supposedly my 4g and that are tech. same pumps minus the filtering?? 

The Air Dog 4g and Raptor 4G are not the same, (back when I installed one, the 4G wasn’t even heard of as far as I know I think it’s just the pump that has been upgraded) The Air Dog is plumbed with a return and has the extra filters, the raptor is just plumbed in-line on your suction side and no return line plumbing is used, @dieseldon it sounds like you have the frame mount raptor 150 or 100, not sure which one but plumbing should be the same, I installed one of these about 10 years ago, it’s basically just adding a 1/2 inch suction tube in place of your existing suction tube in the fuel basket, then running 1/2  “ line to inlet port of raptor and 1/2” line on outlet port of raptor directly to your existing fuel canister on your engine block, from fuel canister to VP is added 1/2”or 3/8 line which is not included in the original raptor plumbing,  like I say it’s been awhile since doing one of these so don’t beat me up to bad if something’s missing, just going off memory,  I will search for original raptor 100 and 150 instructions to help with the confusion 

see if these help

spacer.png

Edited by 01cummins4ever

I did not meddle with return line when I did mine. Did draw straw 1/2" all way to injection.  Fuel returns through factory line.

It shouybe all puslock connections now with a fitting supplied to gl into filter houseing. 

Plug harness in supply power and go.

I pulled my bed off 

I was looking at the raptor and not the FRP. Matter of fact the instructions that @01cummins4ever posted are the ones I was looking at. I dont see any pump return line they are speaking of in your instructions. 

I dropped my tank to do mine. it was pretty easy. especially the second time.

Edited by dripley

I have those instructions, but also a supplement which in bold red letters tells this nonsense about return lines.

I have a feeling I'm supposed to just reconnect my original one but just wanted to be extra sure since airdog is making it seem critical, and what's their explanation of having to do it for the filtered one and not mine? Seems they want the extra fuel pumped back to the tank for a reason?

Evan, thanks for chiming in, is that a 4g 150 on yours? I was thinking it was something different.20200503_190223.jpg.ff2b3fe11b77a6de928f7678a4cf9615.jpg

20200503_190125.jpg

20200503_190106.jpg

Thanks Dripley, I suspect you're on to something about that supplement but maybe their giving wrong one to customers? Or maybe just in mine, lol!! Because there has to be special instructions for the 150, with the 100 apparently you don't even modify module/basket if your original pump is block mounted.

Then again, it might turn out I didn't have to modify mine if only I had the correct instructions! Wouldn't that be hilarious!

Well I think I may have gotten to the bottom of this issue?

I took my fuel basket over to big Twin diesel here in Boise, he told me lucky for me that I'd purchased from him before or he would have told me to head for the exit. These guys do this for a living every day soo... Also lucky for me I hadn't yet drilled a bunch of holes in my basket yet!

He got rid of that draw straw completely, and caped off were I installed1/2" bulkhead fitting, got a 1/2"  to 3/8 redused fitting and used THE FACTORY SUCTION PORT! He said in his experience I would be having a issue when the tank got low running out of fuel with that draw straw, the only thing he wasn't 100% on is were I had already hogged out that bottom hole in basket, I guess I'll find out?

There was never any reason to remove or modify basket!

Thanks airdog, NOT!

7 hours ago, dieseldon said:

There was never any reason to remove or modify basket!

Not sure if I'd go with that. 1/2 " all throughout is the way to go if you don't want big psi swings on full throttle and modified truck. Sure maybe for a stock set up a decent lift pump is all you'll need. I've experimented with return and suction lines when doing mine and found that unless you go 1/2" everywhere, there will be higher psi swings. the only thing I'd do different now is get the mechanical pump, then I'd be set on fuel system. :2cents:

Dieselfuture, thanks for advice but I'm telling anyone who will listen , Pat at big Twin diesel KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT! He's the undisputed official king of cummins in this neck of the woods, as a matter of fact when I was talking with airdogs "tech guy" l mentioned him and he even told me what Pat says about cummins you can take as gospel.

• Like 1

I also found his comments on the draw straw odd I will say diesel guys and tranny builders are set in their ways and are stubborn as ****. They have good reason its because they're always right ;)

I run the draw straw and can suck 50 gallons out of a 30 gallon tank. Could only pull 40 with the factory pickup.

• Haha 1

• Owner

Like myself I've been on 1/2" lines and AirDog 150 and not the 4G AirDog 165. Pressure swings are minimal at about 2 to 3 PSI from Idle to WOT. Never had a problem with 1/4 tank issues really. Last tank of fuel I ran completely down to EMPTY mark without much issues. Been set up this way since 2006.

draw straw issues?! - 2nd Generation Dodge 12 Valve Powertrain ...

• Like 1