• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

airdog 4g 150 install trouble

Totally different setup on the 4g kit the way airdog wants you to hack up your fuel module, per their "guide" the straw wouldn't reach the bottom of tank and no return line contrary to their instructions! Still haven't been able to speak with airdog tech guy, doesn't answer phone, doesn't call back!  yes moparman, I can see how that setup could work.

BTW, false alarm on truck not dying when put into gear, for whatever reason it didn't die the first couple times but soon back to it's old shenanigans!

Thanks, Don

9 minutes ago, Evan said:

What do you mean straw wont reach bottom of stank? I cut mine so it reaches bottom. 

Maybe I didn't follow directions?

If you didn't follow directions then neither did I,  I had to cut mine as it comes too long

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't explain what Pat was trying to convey to me, with my particular fuel module, the one without a pump, has a little diaphragm deal in the bottom that maintains suction when you have a low tank and fuel is sloshing back and forth, incline, etc. Airdog wants you to hog out the hole in the bottom and eliminate that diaphragm and stick that straw down through, and taking the chance of running out of fuel again I'm not the expert, just passing along what an actual one told me.

mine didn't have the pump, I just ripped everything out of the basket as per the instructions, this didn't bother me as I never run it lower than 1/2 tank, the reason for this is I've spent 40 odd years working on heavy plant and it's drummed in not to run low on fuel due to night time condensation, and also an empty tank for me is £150  plus to fill, much better on the wallet to add £20 or £30 a time :)

I guess I'm a little curious to hear if someone has done this mod according to airdogs instructions and then wondering why their truck sputters or even act's like it's running out of fuel when their fuel gauge still says there should be some in there?

Not sure if this pertains to doing the mod with in tank pump module?

Wil440, that's certainly one way to deal with it, and I'm sure sure just plain good practice, but the bigger point is between airdog just flat out giving me wrong instructions with the whole return line confusion, according to Pat you shouldn't even be messing with that module in the first place other than putting a 3/8 barbed fitting on the suction port! How much easier would that have been? Btw, what size line goes from factory filter to vp? Not1/2.

Airdog has some explaining to do, still haven't heard back from them!

Edited by dieseldon
clarity

I'm not sure a  draw straw is necessarily a Airdog part,  I ordered mine at the same time as my assassin mechanical pump, I even wonder if the instructions are AD.

As I said earlier I'm a heavy plant mechanic and I'm much happier the Dodge stuff is gone from the basket, simple tube down to the bottom of the tank, no sock no filter nothing, filters are added further up the frame where they can be got to without dropping the tank or moving the bed.

If one was to look over a 2nd gen truck please tell me which part or parts you think Dodge got right, yes the shape is good but rust is a killer, axles, transfer case and engine don't count as that is not dodge, the rest right out of the showroom was crap given that the engine timescales are proven 1 mill miles.

It is down to the aftermarket which does actually put these trucks right and forums like this one,   anything Mopar has not or does not have the aftermarket that the others have taken for granted  at least they try,  I've had stuff arrive here from the USA for my truck and to be fair the instructions leave a lot to be desired, par for the course Mr Don :)

Edited by wil440
  • Like 1

Wil440, I hear you loud and clear! As a retired 30yr. auto body tech., I've been mostly loyal to gm trucks (gas) since early 90's, had phenomenal luck with them. I pretty much told myself I'd never own a Chrysler product for various reasons including those you pointed out, however due to my current financial situation and needing (wanting) a decent tow rig for my camper and one that got decent fuel mileage. I think I may have let that legendary cummins override my common sense?

I'm sure one can make it a reliable rig, but at what cost? Steering, trans., wiring, rust, etc...

If I could afford it I'd just go out and buy a gmc Denali duramax and have a mechanic service it.

I guess I'll just chip away at this one for awhile with the help of y'all and hopefully it'll treat me right without going completely bankrupt.

Thanks, Don

Edited by dieseldon
typo

1 hour ago, dieseldon said:

Wil440, I hear you loud and clear! As a retired 39yr. auto body tech., I've been mostly loyal to gm trucks (gas) since early 90's, had phenomenal luck with them. I pretty much told myself I'd never own a Chrysler product for various reasons including those you pointed out, however due to my current financial situation and needing (wanting) a decent tow rig for my camper and one that got decent fuel mileage. I think I may have let that legendary cummins override my common sense?

I'm sure one can make it a reliable rig, but at what cost? Steering, trans., wiring, rust, etc...

If I could afford it I'd just go out and buy a gmc Denali duramax and have a mechanic service it.

I guess I'll just chip away at this one for awhile with the help of y'all and hopefully it'll treat me right without going completely bankrupt.

Thanks, Don

Once you get some of it sorted out my friend there is nothing quite like it, I've had a 3500 gas 5.9 for maybe 13 years or so now, never had a problem with it touch wood, it does drive smoother than my cummins but it hasn't got the towing power or the MPG

7 hours ago, dieseldon said:

Wil440, I hear you loud and clear! As a retired 39yr. auto body tech., I've been mostly loyal to gm trucks (gas) since early 90's, had phenomenal luck with them. I pretty much told myself I'd never own a Chrysler product for various reasons including those you pointed out, however due to my current financial situation and needing (wanting) a decent tow rig for my camper and one that got decent fuel mileage. I think I may have let that legendary cummins override my common sense?

Thanks, Don

Dieseldon I have owned mine since 2001, the only problem I had for the first 217k was a blown VP at 75k. Then my ECM failed at 217k. That was a bad tine for me and the truck sat in garage while I tried to figure it out for 2.5 months. Could not find much with that repair. Thru that process I found this forum. While I had finally just put a rebuilt ECM on the truck the help I have received has saved me a ton of money and made the truck as reliable as it was the first 200k. One advantage of that is upgrading weak systems with better after market systems over the span of 10 years and spreading the cost out. Had I had to done these over the period of a year it would suck.