• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crossover tubes

Can crossover tubes cause a slightly rough idle in park and occasional hard starts and not leak diesel into the engine?  I’ve tightened the banjo bolt behind the head and the T fitting next to it. I park the truck nose down in the driveway no issues starting. Park it on level ground and every few startups it takes extra cranking for it to start.  Injectors are fairly new. It didn’t start right after the injector install. Probably a couple thousand miles after. Thanks for any help. 

22 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

Any smoke on start?

White smoke. 

22 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Yes they can. If the o-rings wear they can cause a siphon effect in the return side. Same effect as any leak in the return line.

That makes sense. I changed out a couple set of injectors over the last couple of years. I cheated and didn’t change out the O-rings or tubes. Probably all original. 

Just got back from a one hour drive. We stopped at the grocery store and it took a lot of cranking to get her fired up. Backed back into the driveway. Nose down. Turned her off. Tried to start again and same long crank. I waited a few minutes then she fired right up. Guess I’ll be putting new o-rings in. At least to remove it from the equation. 

By the looks of your mods you are pretty well educated and I don't mean to tell you things you already know. But this sounds like my truck a few years back. I was sure it was a loss of prime issue and replaced all the possible seals, orings, sealing washers. No help. Then my LP pressure seemed a little high. I unplugged it and it would start right up. Even wired it to the power window fuse ( through a second relay so the ECM still had control when running) and it helped for a while. Just an intermitant hard start. Finally called BlueChip just to talk. He was so sure it was my IP he said If it didn't fix it I could send it back no charge. Hard to beat that. A new VP44 fixed the problem and it never came back. Don't mean to scare you, just wanted to share my experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave110 said:

By the looks of your mods you are pretty well educated and I don't mean to tell you things you already know. But this sounds like my truck a few years back. I was sure it was a loss of prime issue and replaced all the possible seals, orings, sealing washers. No help. Then my LP pressure seemed a little high. I unplugged it and it would start right up. Even wired it to the power window fuse ( through a second relay so the ECM still had control when running) and it helped for a while. Just an intermitant hard start. Finally called BlueChip just to talk. He was so sure it was my IP he said If it didn't fix it I could send it back no charge. Hard to beat that. A new VP44 fixed the problem and it never came back. Don't mean to scare you, just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks @dave110  I was actually thinking that in the back of my head. Last week my son was driving it and as he was approaching the stop light it died. He cranked it a few times and it finally started. Being he’s 17 I thought maybe he was fiddling around that  caused it to die. It’s never just died on me. I figured it would throw a code if ip was the problem.  My lp pressure at idle is 20. The lowest it may drop is 14. I’m running a relay for the lp that is triggered by the ecm. Maybe time to call Bluechip. 

Just spoke with Bluechip. Very helpful gentleman. Can’t remember his name. He said with all the symptoms it’s the injection pump. The reman pump should be here next Friday. 
 The truck has about 271,000. I bought it with 231,000.  It could be the original injection pump. 

Edited by Threadzy

56 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Might have been Doug. Gave me an education over the phone too. Seems codes are of little help with a VP44 unless the timing piston sticks or the PSG computer goes bad. Let us know how you make out.

Will do.