• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cracked manual trans mount

I was crawling around under the truck looking for problems and I noticed this cracked mount for the rear of the transmission. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this on their trucks. I searched but didn’t see any threads on it. What’s more, it looks like someone has tried to weld it previously, but it was never mentioned. My dad had the truck for a couple years but other than that I bought it new. The trans was out for a synchro replacement and shortly after that, the 5th gear nut fix. (Whole other story of clown work by a local mechanic). 

Anyway, I ordered a new bracket and will replace, but just thought I’d post something on it. I was hearing a bit of a different kind of drone going on sometimes, seems more with the clutch disengaged than engaged, and this doesn’t seem like the culprit but in need of a replacement/fix nonetheless. 

099FBB49-0259-436B-AA95-C0577C3E7FC2.jpeg

41E045F5-8472-4AA6-A0B0-FDE641874D78.jpeg

5CFB83B8-ECC9-4033-AB63-905C1B21D5BE.jpeg

It appears that the 'clown work' by your local mechanic was employed on all aspects of the repair work.

My guess is that he broke it during removal and/or reinstall and had to mend it clown style.  If he didn't tell you about it then there was probably a reason why he didn't.  The scary thing is the amount of energy it would take to break it was applied to your truck somehow until it gave way.  Anything is possible so it could have broke from normal operation...but the evidence I'm seeing points in the direction of the clown mechanic. 

Edited by Bullet

Yeah... I have to wonder how he could’ve broke it. Could also be normal operation as you say, but the fact that it was never mentioned makes me wonder.. 

This was probably when the synchro was replaced in the transmission. Shortly after which, the fifth gear nut came off 50 miles out of town. When I saw the nut after, it was all beat up, like someone had used a large pin punch or something and a hammer and tried to beat it to the proper torque. There is a $35 tool for that as I understand it, which will allow you to install the nut and torque it properly. I would own it if I was the mechanic. Anyway... it’s water under the bridge now. Probably should’ve noticed the white makeup smeared all over everything when I got it back.. :rolleyes:  That’s why I like to do as much work as I possibly can myself. Hard to find anyone these days who cares about doing the job as it should be done... goes for lots of fields unfortunately, not just mechanics. 

• Like 2

I agree 100%...I do everything myself too.  I'm no mechanical expert but I can guarantee that no mechanical expert would care about the repair as much as I would.  It's more satisfying to do it yourself anyways...and a hell of alot cheaper too! 

• Like 2

• Staff
On 5/13/2020 at 11:15 PM, Cummins5.9 said:

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this on their trucks.

Only if they took their truck to Clown Garage.  By the look of it and what you said that clown broke it, "welded" it, and hoped you would never see it.  If he kept on doing repair work for you no one else would see it either,

8 hours ago, Bullet said:

It's more satisfying to do it yourself anyways...and a hell of alot cheaper too! 

And you get to drink beer while doing it. 

• Like 1

I have a slightly different opinion :rolleyes: it looks like exhaust hangs there, my assumption is it may have cracked over the years, then when he did work he just welded it (with chicken weld) Reason I say this is I would think it would bend before braking and I don't see any evidence of it being bent, plus bolt hole is there to make it weaker.

Not saying he's not a clown or at least should of said something, like hey this piece is busted, I band-aid it, but you should probably get a new one.  :stirthepot: :ahhh:

• Like 1

I have a slightly different opinion :rolleyes: it looks like exhaust hangs there, my assumption is it may have cracked over the years,

Good point.. I have had situations (on a telescopic forklift) where the exhaust bracket would continually crack from vibration or whatever, no matter how I tried repairing, replacing, or mitigating the factors causing the failures. So I suppose it’s plausible that vibration from exhaust over time could possibly result in this failure. When the new one arrives and I disassemble, I will be able to tell how much tension/misalignment, whatever, is affecting that exhaust mount portion.. having said that, I would expect to see many instances of a common failure in other trucks.. :shrug:

• Like 2