• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering brace worth it or not? DOR?

I got the cheapest one I could find back in the day, seems to work fine. Do you need it there's a different question, if you're like @Mopar1973Man on pizza cutters then no :poke:. I got mine because when I first bought the truck it had a little bit of a loose steering, which was a mixture of things and larger tires than what I run now. Knowing what I know now with tires I'm using I probably don't need it anymore. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

I took mine off about 2 years ago and cant tell a difference. Running 265 75 16's. Have little play in the steering box. Box has 505k on it though. Steers maybe a bit better than new, certainly close to new anyway. Hard to remeber 18.5 years back. But l personally will not buy another.

• Like 1

• Owner

Never used a steering box brace ever and still tracks straight. I dropped the 265's and went to 235's for many years. Now I'm running 245's tires and 412k miles later still straight and tight. The only reason I would even suggest a brace is if your seriously going offroad or 4 wheeling. Daily driver won't gain much from the brace. 

• Like 1

If you run oversize tires it’s great, or if you off-road a lot and have the tires biting everything they can get, it’s nice to have. 
I have the cheapest eBay special on my 1500 and 3500. Originally only ment for my 1500, cause I cracked part of the frame horn by the box, and welded it up then spread the load with the brace, no issues since.

The 3500 got one, just because the eBay seller messed up and sent 2. So win win. 

• Like 1

im running 35" tires and original steer gear with the inverted t steering mod. the brace really helped tighten things up and keep the stress off the pitman side of the steering gear saving things.   eventually though i still need to replace the steering gear but ill still keep the brace and refurbish it.   it was worth it for me trail riding and such with oversize tires