• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Did I fix everything?

I’d say it’s from driving and just worn out. While you have it torn down just make sure you can put a pick through the spot the hose goes and it’s clear of Debris. 
as for the water, probably just from rain and being in a high moisture environment even when it’s not. It still shouldn’t have happened though, sounds like the seal on one of the cups is bad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ironforger said:

So Ironically my wheel seals were not leaking while the axle housing was under pressure but now my drivers side axle seal IS leaking!  WTF?

If I had to guess, vent is plugged for some time and the seals were pushed against the axle tighter due to internal pressure, then you cleaned the vent and no more positive pressure on the inside so they started to sip a little :shrug::2cents:

If the vent was not clogged, then maybe they would last 500k who knows. I bet if there is someone out there with 500k on axle seals and they plug the vent, it'll probably leak then, being they already wore out. Clear vent just prolongs the life of them I suppose. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Towrigdually said:

While you have it torn down just make sure you can put a pick through the spot the hose goes and it’s clear of Debris.

@Towrigdually , yea I made sure it was clear when I put the new vent hose on. Blew air through it while the fill pug was off.

Edited by Ironforger

14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

If I had to guess, vent is plugged for some time and the seals were pushed against the axle tighter due to internal pressure, then you cleaned the vent and no more positive pressure on the inside so they started to sip a little :shrug::2cents:

If the vent was not clogged, then maybe they would last 500k who knows. I bet if there is someone out there with 500k on axle seals and they plug the vent, it'll probably leak then, being they already wore out. Clear vent just prolongs the life of them I suppose. 

I replaced the right rear a long time back. The other 3 have 506k and change on them.

• Like 2

• Owner
14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

415k miles no leaks on the alxes and working as designed. I do check the vents from time ot time.

• Like 2

While you all are talking about axle vents-can anybody tell me why my front diff would push oil out of the vent? I wasn’t even driving it. Had it running on high idle while I charged a.c.  It was in 4 low but I don’t know why that would matter. 
Guess I know it’s not plugged!

9 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

While you all are talking about axle vents-can anybody tell me why my front diff would push oil out of the vent? I wasn’t even driving it. Had it running on high idle while I charged a.c.  It was in 4 low but I don’t know why that would matter. 

No I can't. But I can say on about 3 occasions mine has done that on the front. Once so bad that it clogged up the BHAF with gear oil. The other 2 times just a trail of gear oil down the inner fender. Heat maybe???

• Owner
11 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

I've never had that happen... I've had the reverse of that happen and finding the front diff mixed with water. 

21 hours ago, dripley said:

No I can't. But I can say on about 3 occasions mine has done that on the front. Once so bad that it clogged up the BHAF with gear oil. The other 2 times just a trail of gear oil down the inner fender. Heat maybe???

Bhaf really has some suction!

• Haha 1

• Owner

Never had any problems with my vents. Every 30k miles change the fluid then with the cover off and draining just use compressed air and blow it out. Not even when I was towing back from Mohave Valley, AZ.

15915332979951430079351958718559.jpg

Never used synthetics, and just standard old 80w-90 GL-5. 415k miles and counting.

• Like 1