• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sound like a boost leak ?

Rpm is 2200-2500 shes been smoking more than normal.  Smarty is on 9 3 3 3. Used to only haze over 1800 when really on it.

Sac 100s are probably tired over 100k. 

Would they still smoke at higher rpm.

I haven't pressure checked anything 

It makes nearly 40psi.  Putting around rarely over 20. Egts never over 1200 around town egts are 400-600 cruising about 750ish.

For some reason I suspect a boost leak. 

Just thinking out loud as I've been noticing a noticable amount of smoke that isnt normal .

With about 10k behind it I was pushing black like a freight train getting into traffic on the freeway rpm was around 2000. I actually chopped the throttle thinking something was wrong and merged onto the freeway.

Thanks for helping me think.

Over 100k on the injectors. I’d check for a boost leak. Either way I’d say your sticks are worn out especially if they were set at stock bar.  You’re gonna love this but I’d ditch the smarty and get a Quadzilla!! ?

• Like 2

Lol yeah.  Truck is kinda on the back burner latl. Its parked 3-5 days a week. Seems shes now alittle hard starting after sitting for  few days.  Dunno why. If I cycle the grid heater twice it starts easier.  Then back to normal. Temps are warm here.

• 2 weeks later...

No leaks on intake or anywhere I can find with soapy water. 

I did raise timing to 4 wich helped slightly. 

Truck is also getting a more persistent hard . 

Sometimes starts normal when I cycle lift pump a few times. Sometimes not.

Pump still idling at 20psi and pulls down to 15-18 with moderate pedal. 

DAP is trying to talk me into injectors but I dunno why theyd cause hardxstarting could the be letting to much fuel on start up?

I'll need to get this fixed before winter itl likely not start ounce temps drop.

Edited by Evan

• Owner

I can give this much...

I created a massive boost leak on my truck to test the boost leak theory. I removed one intake manifold bolt, and remove the wastegate hose from the turbo. Took it out for a drive typically I can reach 47 PSI of boost. With this massive leak I still reached 43 PSI of boost, EGT's where unaffected by the leak. The air whistling out of the two spots was very loud and couldn't be miss. I drove for several miles like this with no ill effect. 

7 x 0.010 Injectors

HX35/40 Hybrid turbo (60/60/12)

Quadzilla on KILL (Level 7)

Even with a massive leak you can hear it will not change the boost or EGT's very much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

No.

No effect on my truck. No change in smoke per se but spools right up and listen to the loud blowing whistle.

Ive had a bolt blow out of my intake manifold. Even towing it rose a little on EGTs but continued towing my RV home 40 miles. This how I know boist leaks don't effect as deep as most claim. Oh the bolt was still on the manifold when I got home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner
1 minute ago, Evan said:

Maybe mass airflow sensor or something

No such sensor. Only thing that IAT controls is timing and grid heater function. 

2 minutes ago, Evan said:

My truck has always sounded different than othere cummins I've been around.

Have you checked your valve lash or done a compression test? Have you tested your injectors for proper pop pressure? These will have effect on idling and sounds. Low pop pressure will give a bump in timing being the injector is actually opening early and spraying larger droplets of fuel taking more time to heat to go bang, typically smokey. Also causes a off beat kind of skip or miss when the injectors are below 280 bar. Bottom limit is 293 bar according to Dodge FSM book. 310 bar is stock pressure of roughly 4,500 PSI. Valve lash could impact idle performance. You need 2 thing to keep it going compression and fine sprayed fuel mist. One or the other degrades then the idle performance degrades. 

Been a few years since I've done valves 

I have cleaned iat ounce

I would say my truck idles smoother like less popping compared to otheres if that makes since.

It used to loap alitt when injectors where new and would sometime die when going from reverse to neautral. It no longer does either 

Edited by Evan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner
On 8/2/2020 at 9:19 AM, Evan said:

I have cleaned iat ounce

I've not clean the IAT for over 200k miles. I will never clean it again being it has ZERO impact if its dirt or not. If you monitor IAT temp with the Quadzilla or live data tool you can check ther IAT and Engine Coolant should match at the first start of the day. Then there is nothing wrong and no need for cleaning. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Done the study to fin d out that was a fake cleaning. Cleaning the IAT will not improve MPG or fueling. Just check with a live data tool and see if the ECT and IAT both match at key on cold engine. No need for cleaning, etc. Now doing the work with Quadzilla if the IAT falls below 80*F then the timing will advance about +4 degrees. This why I do not suggest cold air intake while warmer air (100 to 140*F) is the optimal for economy numbers. 

• Like 1