• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fass 165 install help

Hey guys began installing a fass TS 165 on my 01 tonight. Just wondering where I hook my wiring harness to start my lift pump. My instructions say hook green and red to battery terminals (did that) then says plug into the oem lift pump harness but my only other connector on the fass harness is a small red wire with a fuse tap. Can I solder this red wire into my oem lift pump harness or do I need to use the add a fuse? Other then hooking up this wire my install is done just waiting till daylight in the morning to finish up. Thanks 

When I installed my FASS system a few years ago it came with the plug that you plugged into the connector that powered your stock fuel pump.  Now they have it set up to plug into a ignition powered fuse under the hood (I don't know why they they changed).  So you need to take the single red wire  from the FASS supplied wire harness and using a butt connector connect it to the fuse tap (Add-A-Fuse) connector and then that fuse tap connector will get plugged into the fuse box under the hood.2054055094_FASSfusetap.png.4096a2ec8fb5052e9c5f6de8f4911755.png

This picture is from their online manual.

8 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Now they have it set up to plug into a ignition powered fuse under the hood (I don't know why they they changed). 

They must of got tired of people with bad ecm circuits for lift pump. Can't believe it's not creating issues like hard start. Or its just cheaperand easier to go this way 

7 hours ago, IBMobile said:

@Josh200124v I literally just went through your exact situation on my 01. Follow the directions that IBMobile provided and it works like a charm! The relay that is provided from FASS will work to get things running but like the directions state  you want to get a relay with the proper protection. I had to find mine at the local NAPA store, I don't have my truck with me at the moment or I would snap some photos for you to reference from sorry and I hope this helps! Once I actually read through the link provided it made sense and I'm happy I went this route vs the "tap" fuse route to an ignition source.

Edited by jtrakel

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tmaxxs10 said:

The relay is a better option than the fuse tap? That's the step I'm at hooking up my fass 165 in my 99 ram

Absolutely, the whole purpose of the relay is to get the load of the pump off of the ECM. Dodge even did this when they replaced the oe block mounted pumps with in tank pumps.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Absolutely, the whole purpose of the relay is to get the load of the pump off of the ECM. Dodge even did this when they replaced the oe block mounted pumps with in tank pumps.

The old lift pump. Plug you only need to use the yellow white wire, correct? Do you need the black wire hooked to anything? Or am I missing that in the relay article? 

9 hours ago, tmaxxs10 said:

The old lift pump. Plug you only need to use the yellow white wire, correct? Do you need the black wire hooked to anything? Or am I missing that in the relay article? 

I just looked at the Fass install instructions. Does the wiring harness that came with yours not already have a relay installed in it?

Is there a step in your instructions for you to plug into the oe pigtail that controlled the oe pump. I seem to see the connector in the picture of the harness. One for the new pump, female, and one to be plugged into the oe pigtail, male. I just dont see a step telling you to plug into the oe harness.

Ok after some rereading of the thread and the install instructions it appears what Fass is having you do is use the add a fuse tap to provide the trigger for the relay in the harness. This will get the load off of the ECM but it means that your pump will run continuously while the key is on. Using the oe pigtail leaves the lift pump still under ECM control. It will work that way but I prefer to have the ECM in control of the pump.

Edited by dripley

I believe that you could use that relay and it seems to me there should be a way to wire in the oe pigtail thru the add a fuse tap on the hot wire but I am not sure of where to land the ground wire. I would also add that someone more electrically incline would know better than I. Maybe we can get @IBMobile to help with that. I know enough to be dangerous. 

In the mean you could complete the install just to get it done and do the rest later. It would be the same to wire later as it is now. As far as which fuse to use, any key on hot should work. If it is constant hot the pump will not shut off.

The red and green are relay ground and power. Then green also grounds pump. Off relay power to pump and the trigger wire. I thinking just run trigger/key on wite to old lift pump plug. Has a 10 Amp fuse wired on power side already

20200621_121820.jpg

• Staff
1 hour ago, tmaxxs10 said:

Can I replace their relay with this one and hook their trigger wire to the old lift pump plug? 

Yes that will work.

The trigger wire is the yellow with white tracer that was used to power the factory lift pump. That goes to terminal #86. 

Red power wire to terminal #30.

Green ground wire to terminal #85.

Use terminal #87 to send power to FAS 165 lift pump.

23 minutes ago, dripley said:

any key on hot should work.

A constant power, on hot, source will work also.  

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 1