• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed the quad today

So I installed the quad today and it wasn't that bad at all.

Using the stock tune I turned it up to lvl10 and went for a test drive.  The first ten minutes were a BLAST!  Extremely smooth.  When the wiretap kicks in it definitely threw me back in the seat.  Smoke and egts were much better than with the edge ez I removed.

On the way home I romped on it one more time and blew an intercooler boot at 45psi.

Oh well, it was fun.

On a different note, we came back from camping today and had a hell of a trip.

Was pulling out 37' fifth wheel with the wife's 4th gen.

About an hour and a half from home I had to brake hard.  Heard a pop and the pedal got soft.  Truck was still braking ok with the exhaust brake and service brakes.  Had to stop by my work for something and noticed brake fluid pouring from the right rear caliper.  Dropped the camper and had someone come pick us up and take us home to get my truck.  

Thank God we own two diesels with gooseneck hitches.

Will be tearing into the 2011 tomorrow sometime.

• Like 1

Got the boot back on today.  Passenger side to the intercooler.  Pressurized the system and it blew back off.  Had to fiddle with it for a long time to get it to hold.  Still going to replace them all as they are awfully soft.

Haven't had a chance to do any custom tuning yet.  This thing is way more powerful and way cleaner than the edge was.

On the 4th gen the inside pad was completely gone.  Piston had escaped the caliper and destroyed the rotor.

It got a new caliper and rotor and pads to get it to my uncle's shop and he's doing all 4 corners tomorrow.

• Owner
10 hours ago, Manimalmother said:

This thing is way more powerful and way cleaner than the edge was.

That is exactly what i seen over the Edge Comp. 

10 hours ago, Manimalmother said:

Pressurized the system and it blew back off.  Had to fiddle with it for a long time to get it to hold.  Still going to replace them all as they are awfully soft.

Look at the silicone boot at Vulcan Performance or DAP. Stock boots if you need to make them stick. Spray Home Depot Orange degreaser on the nipples and wipe off. Then spray the boot and wipe the boot off clean. Then spray the boot again and install. Thew orange degreaser will make the boot slick feeling and slide on easy but as soon as it dries it lock on ther you will need a screwdriver to pry it off typically. Works great on my stock boots and even my Vulcan Performance boots.

• Like 1

2 old racer tricks for making intercooler hoses stay on:

1) Spray hair spray on tube and inside boot, put together wet.

2) Liquid dish soap such as Dawn. Wipe on tubes and inside hose, put on wet.

Be warned: after the hair spray or dish soap dries it can be nearly impossible to remove the hoses. May have to cut them off. Both tricks will work extremely well just be sure you don't have to take them apart any time soon. We would do this on the hard to reach hoses and leave 1 or 2 hoses dry for easy disassembly for maintenance. 

Built over 100psi on accident. Burned through 2 cylinders but all hoses stayed on.

3 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

2 old racer tricks for making intercooler hoses stay on:

1) Spray hair spray on tube and inside boot, put together wet.

2) Liquid dish soap such as Dawn. Wipe on tubes and inside hose, put on wet.

Be warned: after the hair spray or dish soap dries it can be nearly impossible to remove the hoses. May have to cut them off. Both tricks will work extremely well just be sure you don't have to take them apart any time soon. We would do this on the hard to reach hoses and leave 1 or 2 hoses dry for easy disassembly for maintenance. 

Built over 100psi on accident. Burned through 2 cylinders but all hoses stayed on.

Thanks for the tips.  New boots should be here tomorrow.  Ordered from silicone intakes.

So the boots didn't show up today.  Go figure.

I did have to drive the truck a couple hundred miles today for a meeting and noticed some weird things.

I have not done any custom tuning yet.  I have been using the stock tune and @Me78569 's fun/daily tune.

This started after the quad install Sunday.  Never happened before.

Occasionally the truck will stall going from reverse to drive.  Its happened a couple of times, just bogs down and dies.  Always restarts.

Today after an hour interstate driving I had to run in a rest area.  Came back out and the truck took a few seconds of turning over to start.  Turned over normal speed, starter is fairly new.

Stopped for fuel and same thing.  

Got back to the shop and it sat for about an hour and started fine.  If it sits longer than 15 minutes it's fine.

Truck has a raptor 150 lift pump.  When key is turned on fuel pressure spikes to about 20 like it always has and goes back to zero before the wts light goes out.

I have not tried pulling the LP fuse and starting nor have I tried the cold water on the VP.

I really hope the VP isn't dying on me.  It has around 100k on it and has always been supplied by the raptor 150.

Fuel pressure at cruising speed is around 16-17.